OK,this could get complicated,bear with me.

I have 2 identical amps with parallel effects loops ,switchable from instrument to line level and also standard line outs.

I want to insert a rack effects unit to one effects loop only (amp B) and minimise the amount of wiring out front.

It works perfectly with a line splitter out front plugging into the main inputs of both amps with an on/ off switch for each amp and the rack in the loop of amp B and an on/off switch for the rack

I like intuitive switching,I don't want an A/B/Y box,tried them,don't like tap dancing

I hope to do the following:

Plug into amp A only and then feed the fx unit (IN) from either the line out or the effects send of amp A and send it to the effects return of amp B

Would anyone be kind enough to tell me if either of these options are possible and if so which of the options are likely to be preferable?

I hope to simplify the situation by simply going straight into one amp (A) nd having the effects power amp (B) via either the fx send or line out.

If it helps,the amps have switchable line to instrument level loops and the unit also runs at line and instrument level,switchable.

Phew !! Sorry about all that. Any help greatly appreciated.
Last edited by guitar-name at Aug 8, 2016,
which amps are you talking about?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Where do the rack effects come in? With parallel effects loops both amps should make sound but amp a would be the master. B would just be a power amp for a. If you put the effects between the two, then, would you have to run a return to each amp? Otherwise only b gets the effects.
Last edited by geo-rage at Aug 8, 2016,
geo-rage Yeah that's my plan, I only want amp B to have the effects. Workable then in your opinion ?
Quote by trashedlostfdup
which amps are you talking about?
These two are identical Fender ROC Pro 1000 combo versions.
So you you want two identical amps, one with a rack unit and one without, running both at the same time?

Or two amps both getting the benefit of one rack unit?
Quote by guitar-name
geo-rage Yeah that's my plan, I only want amp B to have the effects. Workable then in your opinion ?
sounds good to me. Ive only started slaving amps though, so i am not the authority. Identical amps are nice because you know the signal is going to be compatible. That goes out the window when you start talking about effects that might boost the signal, but it sure sounds like is would work. What amp lets you choose instrument or line level fx signal? I guess that would depend on if your rack effects want a pre amp or an instrument plugged into them first.
If your rack had 2 pwr amp out jacks, couldnt you plug them both, respectively into each amps fx return jack and have both amps using the effects, with amp a's fx send plugged into the rack effects?
this is really confusing. you want 1 amp dry and the other to have fx right? how is using an a/b box tap dancing I mean it would be just like channel switching. that doesn't sound hard to me. what rack fx are you trying to use? I guess some more clarification on what you are trying to do is needed.
Quote by monwobobbo
this is really confusing. you want 1 amp dry and the other to have fx right? how is using an a/b box tap dancing I mean it would be just like channel switching. that doesn't sound hard to me. what rack fx are you trying to use? I guess some more clarification on what you are trying to do is needed.

+1 i am still not sure what OP is saying.

the A/B/Y would be what i would do. one tap .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/