I watched a video of Metallica performing Whiskey in the Jar in one of the articles in the news section recently. Like many videos I've watched of Metallica in recent years I've been left staring incredulously at my computer screen, wondering what happened to Metallica's powerful warm guitar tones that you can find on albums like Binge and Purge and S & M live albums.

The tones sound so dry and abrasive anymore, I can't believe they have actually convinced themselves that it sounds ok.

I was listening to a band called Communic the other day I and I absolutely love the drum and guitar sound that this band gets on their albums. It all sounds huge and live (not overproduced). I think Metallica would sound fantastic again with a drum and guitar setup like the one Communic uses.

I know other people out there have got to be hearing this like me, could you someone have an explanation of why they would move towards these dry and brittle sounding tones these days?
Last edited by joseph51700 at Aug 8, 2016,

I don't know what you're talking about. It sounds perfectly fine.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Best version of Whiskey in the Jar from best Thin Lizzy album:

O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
MHDrunk

i dislike this
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Why? I can't imagine anyone disagreeing with either contention.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

It's a terrible version of Whiskey in the Jar.
Ok... It seems that no one so far hears how bled white the guitars are of warm tone. I know I'm not imagining how bad this sounds compared to the warmer and thicker guitar tones they used for live stuff on Binge and Purge back in the day.

BTW I was not taking issue with Metallica's version of Whiskey in the Jar so you can stop posting other versions of it by other bands. That was not the point. My point was the current live sound setup they have that sounds brittle, Whiskey was just an example of the issue.
I mean, I like both versions. I thought Thin Lizzy did an excellent job and had enough flair on it to make it unique. Can't say I'm displeased with it
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Ok, this is ridiculous.
It seems that everyone missed the larger point here. I wasn't taking issue with any arrangement or style that Metallica uses to play the song Whiskey in the Jar. I like Metallica's version but the live sound that Metallica uses present day compared to previous decades just sounds brittle and low quality to me considering they were once a band that chased down some of the greatest productions on albums for drum and guitar sounds and live sound for concerts back in their time. Its an issue with tone. The tone is bled out anymore.
You guys just don't have good ears for Irish music.

Quote by joseph51700
so you can keep posting other versions of it by other bands.

Cool.

Oh my, I should have just stuck to my original plan and look for some new tabs tonight. Never again.
Okay so joseph51700 the answer, as with most things about Metallica that get ruined, is that it's Lars Ulrich's fault. Perhaps we don't know how yet, but it is definitely Lars Fagrich's fault.

Quote by Kytokinesis
I need to check out some Irish music

Start with the Dubliners and Tom Clancy & The Markham Brothers. They were probably the two biggest groups in the Irish folk revival of the 60s and do all of the Irish standards. The Johnstons, the Chieftains, and the Irish Rovers are some other good ones to check out. The Pogues are also good to check out. They were probably the first Celtic punk band. They did a lot of the traditional tunes but more up tempo and energetic. Being from London in the early 80s, they were very different from the modern Celtic punk bands since obviously punk was different back then. For contemporary Irish punk, everybody knows the Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly, but some others to check out are the Tossers, Rumjacks, Mahones, Young Dubliners, Mr Irish Bastard, etc. The modern Irish punk bands all do the traditional tunes, but they do more originals than the Pogues or the traditional bands. For Celtic metal, Cruachan, Primordial, and Waylander are some of the most influential. I'm not so well-versed in Celtic metal though.

That should get you started on some different stuff. irishtune.info and thesession.org are great resources for just finding all the traditional Irish tunes (primarily instrumental) that are commonly played at Irish jams, which are commonly just called "sessions". You can find the common tunes like Kesh Jig and Cooley's Reel and Morrison's Jig and all that stuff and look for bands doing those tunes.