Hey guys, do you have any overview on Epiphone probuckers?
Heard that they sound quite good, it would be cool if you could share your opinion
in the last couple of years Epi pickups have gotten better at least on the higher end models. not as good as the Gibson stuff but certainly very usable.
Epiphone doesn't have a lot of different pickups. once you get to the better models they all tend to use the same pickups. the Les Paul Standard and Custom, The G-400 (SG) etc all use the same pickups. a couple of the really high end models use different pickups but thos are usually actual Gibson pups.

what guitar are you thinking about getting?
Quote by monwobobbo
in the last couple of years Epi pickups have gotten better at least on the higher end models. not as good as the Gibson stuff but certainly very usable.
I don't even like Gibson pups.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I don't even like Gibson pups.

well most aren't amongst my favs either. I do like Dirty Fingers though.
Played a Sheraton at a friends studio last year and liked it a lot. She played and sounded great. No idea which PUs were in there.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
monwobobboThe 500T is pretty good too, TBH.
But I fail to see how it matters anyway. Pups are easy to change.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
monwobobboThe 500T is pretty good too, TBH.
But I fail to see how it matters anyway. Pups are easy to change.

agree. thing is a lot of guys just want to buy a guitar and not mess with it afterwards. you can be overwhelmed with all the choices so I can see why some don't want to bother. since we're talking Epi here I'm guessing OP doesn't have a ton of cash and just wants to make sure he gets the most for his money.
I never consider pups as part of the equation. If it plays nicely, I buy it. The tone can be sorted out later.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I never consider pups as part of the equation. If it plays nicely, I buy it. The tone can be sorted out later.

I'm the same way but I've meet plenty of players over the years that don't look at it that way. I've bought a couple of guitars that no one seemed to want that with a quick pup change and a good setup turned into fantastic guitars.
Fools and their money are soon parted.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I I like Epiphone guitars, but if I were looking to do a pickup swap, I'd look at companies that do pickups as their bread & butter.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I've had really good luck with small manufacturers. Rio Grande and Vintage Vibe make awesome pups.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Indeed.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
i like the 500t and dirty fingers as well.

i wouldn't buy a gibson pickup for more than $50 used.

i have a 500t in my Gibson V, and i love it.

i put a 500t in my LP because i liked the one in the V (and it was $40 lol). sooooo much better than the 498t. i planning on keeping it in and putting a bucker sized P90 in the neck.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The 500T in my Gibson V sounds great, tonally they're very similar to the Duncan SH-6. The Dirtyfinger pickups are also good. The difference being that the bobbins on them have a thinner wire than the 500T to achieve more wraps. So they're slightly hotter and have a bit less treble. But not to the point that they sound like they have a wet blanket over them like Invaders do.

The Probucker pickups for sure are an improvement over the alnico classic pickups Epiphones have had for donkeys years. For an own-brand overwound PAF-type pickup meant for budget guitars, they're actually rather good.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 10, 2016,
should try japanese les paul ones, you'll get great tone, and the price definitely is more expensive than the others
but I guess korean made is better than nowadays epi guitars which mostly is made of china and indonesia
Quote by amberfire
should try japanese les paul ones, you'll get great tone, and the price definitely is more expensive than the others
but I guess korean made is better than nowadays epi guitars which mostly is made of china and indonesia

The Korean-made Epiphone guitars of yesteryear were actually a lot less consistently made than the Chinese ones you get now. This whole notion with Epiphones being inconsistently made all started when Epiphone started making them in Korea. The perception that they're better made than the Chinese ones appeared only recently when the quality of guitars made in Korea improved, but long after those Epiphones were ever made to that standard.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 10, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The Korean-made Epiphone guitars of yesteryear were actually a lot less consistently made than the Chinese ones you get now. This whole notion with Epiphones being inconsistently made all started when Epiphone started making them in Korea. The perception that they're better made than the Chinese ones appeared only recently when the quality of guitars made in Korea improved, but long after those Epiphones were ever made to that standard.

Yeah, now we, especially in my country, can only buy Korean-made epiphone from second hand guitar stores. I don't know whether Korean-made Epis are still made or not. I haven't tried the first launched Korean-made Epis, so that's why I can't compare with the Chinese ones. But once I tried a Chinese-made Epis a few years ago, the playabilities between them are still different.

but don't know with Indonesian-made ones (LU serial number), have you ever tried them?
Last edited by amberfire at Aug 10, 2016,
Quote by amberfire
Yeah, now we, especially in my country, can only buy Korean-made epiphone from second hand guitar stores. I don't know whether Korean-made Epis are still made or not. I haven't tried the first launched Korean-made Epis, so that's why I can't compare with the Chinese ones. But once I tried a Chinese-made Epis a few years ago, the playabilities between them are still different.

but don't know with Indonesian-made ones (LU serial number), have you ever tried them?

I've tried some of the more recent Indo Epis which are pretty randomly mixed in with the Chinese ones, even if they're the same model. And all preconceptions of manufacturer origins aside, the ones I tried didn't feel different enough to determine reliably which was the Indo one and which was Chinese. Very few Epiphones are Korean made these days, and like the Indo ones, they're mixed in quite randomly with the rest of the wall of guitars you see in GC. I've not tried one though since they're hard to find.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I've tried some of the more recent Indo Epis which are pretty randomly mixed in with the Chinese ones, even if they're the same model. And all preconceptions of manufacturer origins aside, the ones I tried didn't feel different enough to determine reliably which was the Indo one and which was Chinese. Very few Epiphones are Korean made these days, and like the Indo ones, they're mixed in quite randomly with the rest of the wall of guitars you see in GC. I've not tried one though since they're hard to find.

yeah I agree, both of them have almost similar tones, constructions and playabilities, yet for signature version such as Slash's signature guitars, I think they have better tone than standard or even custom series, all of them are Chinese-made.
Last edited by amberfire at Aug 12, 2016,
Quote by amberfire
yeah I agree, both of them have almost similar tones, constructions and playabilities, yet for signature version such as Slash's signature guitars, I think they have better tone than standard or even custom series, all of them are Chinese-made.

Of course that's a given; the pickups the Slash Epiphones come stock with aren't the same as the generic ones.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee