Hey UG, my DSL OT is down and out. The tech is suggesting throwing a Mercury Magnetics Axiom transformer in there. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to OTs and have heard very mixed reviews with this brand in general.
I just want a working amp, and I don't want to replace it with the Dagnall transformer that came stock.
Also throwing around the idea of a choke, so if you all have some good recommendations on OT and choke brands, My tech would certainly appreciate me getting back to him with a decision!

Tl;dr JCM 2000 Dsl 100 OT and Choke recommendations
Go for the Mercury Magnetics.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Mercury are pretty darn expensive, and a lot of people don't feel like the product is worth the cost. I'd think about Edcor or Classictone if you want a more cost effective replacement.
Classic tone is who I originally suggested to him based off my limited Google skills. Thanks Roc. I feel safer about this decision now
Hell yeah. Mercury are way overpriced.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
heyboer makes nice stuff too.that is what i use in my builds.

haven't tried the classic tone, but if cath is recommending them, they are likely solid.

to concur with the others, MM is soooooo stupidly expensive.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
There are plenty of solid Transformer companies out there.

Heyboer
Classictone
Hammond
Merren

Those other companies produce a fine product. But, I won't bash Mercury Magnetics for being more expensive, or 'stupidly' expensive. Mercury has their product, their reputation, and they charge what they want to. To simply by-pass them because they charge more is stupid. The other companies make very good transformers, but they do not all sound the same. If the tech is suggesting MM, it's likely because he has had good experience with the company and product. It isn't just to make you spend more money... plus that money is going to MM anyway... it's not like your tech is going to be putting it in his pocket. Mercury produces a consistent product of good quality with proven results. Sure, some folks have had a bad experience. There are probably some Ferrari owners who have had bad experiences as well.

So, your options remains: You can save some coin, get a decent transformer and be happy with your amp. You can spend more, get a decent transformer and be happy with your amp. It's also possible that you would be unhappy either way. Heyboer, for example, is said by some users to have a more aggressive quality and more pointed uppermids over the stock OT. Maybe that isn't a shift in tone that you would like... or maybe it is? I don't know. But, it isn't just a - everything will sound better than stock - scenario.

Consider Soldano, what is the magic of the SLO? The DeYoung transformers make the difference. Without the Deyoung Transformers, you just have an Avenger.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
ThunderPunk Ferraris breaking down is the experiance!

But all things aside, i asked because of the mixed reviews. Your post made me give the tech a go ahead before I reversed course. Like I said, I just want a working amp, and if he has already ordered the MM Im sure ill be fine with it.

I just always assumed they were like BOSE. Better sound through marketing.
Personally, I find MM trannies to be too "clinical" for guitar amps. I might throw one into a hifi build but not a guitar amp. You want something with some character in a guitar amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Personally, I find MM trannies to be too "clinical" for guitar amps. I might throw one into a hifi build but not a guitar amp. You want something with some character in a guitar amp.

I have a Mercury Magnetics kit (transformers, choke, etc.) in an Epiphone Valve Jr. Stupid expensive (especially for a $99 amp), but I rarely see it. It's always being "borrowed" for recording sessions. I think MM did a pretty good job on that one.
I'm not saying that MM are bad. It's just that for a guitar amp there are better options that will cost a lot less. And if you are going to spend that sort of money you could get far better trannies like deYoung or O'Netics for example.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I'm not saying that MM are bad. It's just that for a guitar amp there are better options that will cost a lot less. And if you are going to spend that sort of money you could get far better trannies like deYoung or O'Netics for example.

similar standpoint. i have MM's in a trace elliot, amp sounds nice, but i bought it that way *probably* for less than what the transformers cost. sounds great, the reason the guy swapped them was for US mains, as he brought the amp from the UK.

i find hayboer a good price and a good product.

if you want MM, by all means if you like them buy them, i just find them to be more expensive for my tastes.

i would love to hear a transformer shootout if anybody knows of one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Looking at these Classic tone chokes, should I go with the JCM 800 choke, or the Tri-m100? I want to make sure I order compatible parts
They are the same electrically. Check the dimensions on the spec sheets and choose the one that fits the holes the best.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification