Hi guys.

I have problems with this sheet I just downloaded.

It says I should tune the 5th string to G and the 6th to C

There are two problems with this,

First of all it just doesn't feel right to tune down the low E string to a C.
The string of course get's really flabby and loose when I turn it down that much.

And secondly the notes that are displayed are not in accord with the tabs displayed.
You can see this for yourself.

For example the sheet shows a low E note but the tab says 4th fret.
Keep in mind that the E note is tuned to a C and capo is on the 2nd fret.

Everything just seems wrong.

FYI: You can find the guy who composed that sheet playing it on youtube.
Attachments:
arrival-to-earth-tab.pdf
Last edited by Pieropir at Aug 10, 2016,
I'm not going to answer the first part of the first question (flabby C)

However, downtuning often occurs when the player wants to reach notes that are lower than [X normal tuning].

For the second question:
Notes in the sheet music (circles and lines) do NOT factor in capo. Neither do tab fingerings. Both 4th fret, low C and open high E are E's without capo, but both will sound as F# with capo.
Quote by NeoMvsEu
However, downtuning often occurs when the player wants to reach notes that are lower than [X normal tuning].
For the second question:
Notes in the sheet music (circles and lines) do NOT factor in capo..

That I know. Let's say the sheet shows an E. Then I would just pull the open E string no matter where the Capo is.
Even though it would be a different sound. F# in this case with capo on 2nd fret.
I'm used to that.
But if I tuned that string down to a C, there should be a C written on the sheet for the open string, no?

Quote by NeoMvsEu
Both 4th fret, low C and open high E are E's without capo, but both will sound as F# with capo.

I don't understand at all what you mean by that.
4th fret for E string is a G# without Capo.
And with capo on second fret and one E tuned to C they wouldn't both be F#.
One would be F# the other D on open string

Any way you turn this. 2nd fret Capo or no Capo. C or E tuning. You would not get an E if you pick the 4th fret of the E string.

Am I missing something here?
No, I was saying 4fr on the lowest string. That's an E in the tuning and is written as such.

Strings:
e
B
G
D
G
C

Open high E will sound E normally, F# with capo.
NeoMvsEu
Ahh alright. I think now I get it, thx.

So if I have C tuning and capo on 2nd fret, it's still a C on the sheet (even though it actually sounds a D)

and 4 frets down I'm at the E.

Is that correct?

Another unrelated question:
Is it okay to tune up the low E string to the higher C instead the lower one or would that break the string?
Agreed with Tony Done. I'm not sure why you want to do a reentrant tuning, though (lower string has higher pitch)
It was just a thought.

Since tuning down the E string to C doesn't seem to work too good either.
The guy who made the arrangement plays a steel string guitar so I guess that's why it worked for him.
Do you have a classical guitar, then? Downtuning works much more readily with steel-strings.
MUSICIANS FRIEND, GUITAR CENTER, and lots of music stores are all owed by GUITAR CENTER. THEY HAVE THE BEST EQUIPMENT ALL AROUND , right down to guitar picks and stings.