How can I get a Graham Coxon guitar tone? Not his heavier power-pop tone but his classic twang. I have a Mexican Stratocaster and a Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401 combo amp and I understand that the basics for Graham's tone are his Teles and his Marshalls. Can anyone help me achieve this tone with what I have?

it just sounds like a pretty standard tele into marshall type of tone

what settings are you using at the moment?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc
I sorta just fiddle around with it until I can get rid of the expected Marshall distortion buzz and get a more transparent chime. Nothing I ever get really strikes me as Graham-esque, though.
To be honest I'd say you really need a Tele - you just can't get that same twang and clang out of any other guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Bump the mids maybe? Maybe a TS9 could help get you there.

I remember reading something about how Ted Nugent was playing through EVH's rig and said "Hey I sound like me! You took away your magic black box!" So EVH picked up the guitar to his rig and EVH sounded like EVH. Ted Nugent pick the guitar up once more and sounded like Ted Nugent again, to which he yelled some obscenity.
^ lol

I misread the opening post, i thought he already had a tele you should be able to get not a million miles away with a strat, though. though i guess the MIMs have fairly hot ceramic pickups which probably isn't helping.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
From what I've read, he played Telecasters into Marshalls, and he had ProCo Rats and Boss Delay, Tremolo, Flanger and Vibrato pedals. How far off his sound do you feel you are?
Well, I kinda thought he might have a compressor somewhere in the mix. For example, his single note hammer-ons, even single notes high up on the neck, are as bold as his bar chords. As hard as I try, I can't get the same dynamic.

Even the tone, the chime; he gets this slightly gritty ring. I either get an almost sterile chime or start going into buzzy distortion territory.
Hmm. Listening at 3:33 makes me think there is a fuzz involved as well.

What pickup selection are you using? Sounds like a neck or in-between setting.
Last edited by Will Lane at Aug 12, 2016,
When I listen to it, I do really hear the Tele.
Would a really short delay help thicken your sound up?

There may be Tele-voiced pickups that you can put in your Strat?
Quote by Will Lane
Hmm. Listening at 3:33 makes me think there is a fuzz involved as well.

What pickup selection are you using? Sounds like a neck or in-between setting.

yeah. though a rat can get pretty fuzzy at certain settings (it may well be another fuzz, just i know he uses a rat)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?