Hi all.
Before I contact this guy and tear him a new one,the whole point of Alnico is that they're supposed to be far stronger than Ceramic,or am I missing something?
I'm putting a '95 Epi LP Custom together..[Bought it for 35 bucks!!]Neck had the factory installed crack in the headstock..Got it fixed,also had no pickups.I had a nice set of Epi's.Bought gold covers for them,and Alnico 5 magnets..Tore them apart,started checking orientation,got suspicious,turn's out,the old,stock ceramics are FAR stronger than the A-5's I bought,at least 2X as strong..You know,I'm giving up on trying to make any of this stuff better,seems all the pickups and pickup related stuff on Ebay is garbage..
Modern ceramics are often stronger field than Alnicos. Play guitar more, mod pickups less.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 11, 2016,
The whole point Alnico magnets is that they're made of Alnico, whereas ceramic magnets are made of ceramic - different materials give different tonal repsonses but by and large a magnet of any material can be as strong or as weak as the person who made the pickup wants it to be. However ceramic magnets tend to be stronger than alnico as far as pickups are concerned.

So yes you're missing something.

Also this is not a technique question so moved to GGA
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Tony Done

The problem might be in your knowledge base, not in the quality of the pickups.

He's trying to tell you that You Know Nothing, Jon Snow.

Aside from the fact that ceramic magnets can be made stronger for the same size magnet, it's worth noting that most of the "sound" information comparing the various forms of Alnico (2, 3, 5, 8, etc.) only results from using the various magnets and comparing them in a pickup with the same winding.

Thing is, when you start changing the number of winds, the gauge of the wire and the number and position of the magnets, you get VERY different pickups, even using the same magnet composition. In short, most of what you read is BS. For example, Gibson has at least four different versions of the mini-humbucker pickup (magnet material aside), all of which sound different, all of which have differing magnet designs within the pickup. Bill Lawrence designed the first "hot" pickups for Gibson for the L6S, and these do NOT have adjustable pole pieces, have three separate magnets per pickup, and sound very sweet indeed. But the magnets are ceramics and, according to the wise wanks, shouldn't sound they way they actually do.
^ yeah, pretty much.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Something I discussed on another forum. Alnico "saturates" magnetically at a fairly low level, so there is a limit to how strong you can make a magnet from it. OTOH, the iron poles on a ceramic magnetic will carry much more magnetic flux, so if you put a strong magnet underneath them, they will be more powerful at the top "working end" than is possible to get with an alnico. I reported an experiment I did on this. However, this apparently leads to all kinds of trade-offs in tone that I don't fully understand.
Last edited by Tony Done at Aug 11, 2016,
Quote by Tony Done
However, this apparently leads to all kinds of trade-offs in tone that I don't fully understand.

If Bill Lawrence were still alive, he could explain all of this (hmm, maybe Becky knows?), but I have a feeling I'd glaze over long before he got to the good parts. I did talk to him a couple of times about it, and his main comment was that it was HOW you used the magnets more than what they were made of that changed the sound. Most manufacturers are pretty lazy/cheap and simply swap magnet types with a single wind setup to produce pickups with different sounds.
^ yeah- while it's definitely worth bearing in mind that, as you said, magnets only really have a sound "everything else being equal", in the real world you often can make an educated guess as to how a pickup is going to sound based on what magnet it has (and a few other specs).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?