Poll: Ibanez RG7420 vs Shecter Damien Elite-7 FR
Poll Options
View poll results: Ibanez RG7420 vs Shecter Damien Elite-7 FR
Ibanez RG
8 73%
Shecter Damien Elite
3 27%
Voters: 11.
Hey! I'm wanting to buy an intermediate level guitar that is able to play but is not 100% limited to metal--I'd like to be free to play other genres. I normally play hard rock, metal (only really FFDP and Avenged Sevenfold), but also some more pop, blues, alternative kind of stuff. I don't want the guitar to limit my potential speed (looking for something speedy to play since learning to shred is one of my biggest goals) but also have a good tone and overall playability. A 7 String is very appealing to me, as is a locking tremolo system (although I'm less sure about the second one). From my searches I've come up with the Schecter Damien Elite-7 FR ( http://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/damien-elite-7-fr-2013-12-10-detail ), and the Ibanez RG7420 ( http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eg_detail.php?year=2016&cat_id=1&series_id=1&data_id=305&color=CL01 )
The Schecter is a bit pricier but I'd be willing to buy the somewhat cheaper Ibanez and buy some nice pickups if needed which would even out the price gap (I've heard the ones the RG comes with aren't great). I've been going back and forth forever. What are your opinions on 7 strings? or locking trems? Please weigh in! I'm open to any new guitar suggestions, 6 string, or fixed bridge---but I'm strongly leaning towards a 7 string with a trem--and these are the ones I could find in my price range. If you have any questions about my style or more details on what I'm looking for just ask. Also, if you are in support of the Ibanez and agree the pickups are mediocre, what pickups would you suggest replacing them with? Are there any other 400-800$ 7 string tremolo or fixed bridge intermediate guitars I should be looking at? What do you all think?
Thanks!
A poll is attached! A vote and a comment sharing your thoughts is Greatly appreciated!

Edit; Aug 11 2016: From your comments I've learned about Agile guitars and Rondo Music. This company is surrounded by disagreement about their quality so I'm unsure about their products. I'm not trying to start another Agile thread, I'm just interested in seeing how you all think the Agile Interceptor Pro 727 EB EMG ( http://www.rondomusic.com/INTEPRO727EBEMGTBLUE1.HTML ), measures up to the other two guitars previously mentioned?
Last edited by zach.ar.adams at Aug 11, 2016,
I'm an Ibanez guy myself. Schecters just don't feel good to me, maybe it's the neck. A lot of people like them though. The RG is a solid guitar. Those get a lot of good reviews. If you go that route and decide you want to change the pickups, there are tons of options. Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz, DiMarzio CrunchLab/Liquifire, and DiMarzio Blaze are all pickups I have and they all have some great tones.

If you're willing to buy used your options open up quite a bit. Check out Carvin/Kiesel guitars too.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
BCKRedBaron Hey! Thanks for the reply! The RG comes with Ibanez Quantum Humbuckers...how do those compare to the pickups you suggested? And how does DiMarzio compare to Seymour Duncan? I've looked a lot into Duncan but none into DiMarzio. Would it be worth switching? and this may be a noob question--but does the fact that the guitar comes with passive pickups elimatinate the possibility of switching them with active ones? The active pickups require a battery and a guitar built for passive wouldn't have a place for it, right? And besides Ebay and GC, where could I look for some used Kiesels?
For 7 strings look at Agile if you are in the USA. The Interceptor Pro is the Superstrat shape. First number is the number of strings. Second two numbers is the scale length.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I'm not sure how those particular Ibanez pickups compare but Ibanez pickups in general are pretty bland. The CL/LF combo is John Petrucci's signature set, so of you like his tone they do that really well. The JB/Jazz set are versatile. They do well in almost any style. The Blaze pickups are what I have in my Universe. They're scooped in the mids compared to the others I mentioned but they're quite articulate as well. Good cleans too.

You would likely need to find a place to put the battery for actives, and possibly do some routing. Can't say for sure. Kiesel may possibly have some used or scratch and dent guitars on their website. Might check there.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
If you want sonic versatility, get something with single coils and humbuckers. I am a firm believer in "any guitar can play anything well", but that would cover the other genres you mention. It sounds like you want an Ibanez. Or check out the Agiles if you're in the US, as metalmingee says. they're at Rondomusic.com

Every guitar I've ever put actives into had room in the control cavity for the battery. No extra routing required.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Not sure on the 7 strings, but I've got an Ibanez RG350 and a Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR. They are different beasts, although the Schecter is my preferred as I prefer the Floyd Rose to the Edge trem, it just feels better under my hand for palm mutes. The slightly thicker neck also suits me better.

The Schecter is about the only guitar I own that is still stock, whereas the Ibanez has had the pants INF humbuckers swapped for a PAF and P90 (stock single coil is really nice though). The Schecter has coil split, so both are good for tonal variety.

I'd say go with whatever feels nicer to play (if you can try them both) or find a retailer that will take returns. Either way, I always go for neck feel and comfort, cos electrics and pickups can always be swapped later on
Last edited by courier_87 at Aug 11, 2016,
metalmingee Thanks for the suggestion! and those are very cool guitars! I'll look deeper into them when I get the time. Longer scale length is going to give you less buzz and floppiness when detuning, right? and a better sounding low end?
ryanbwags That's great to know! I was hoping that'd be the case. What's everyone's opinion passive vs. active?
courier_87 Good advice! Thanks you!
Quote by metalmingee
For 7 strings look at Agile if you are in the USA. The Interceptor Pro is the Superstrat shape. First number is the number of strings. Second two numbers is the scale length.

Agile are ass. dont bother.
zach.ar.adams A good rule of thumb is that even if it looks good, looks =/= quality. I have no experience with Agile so I can't help you with that, but maybe blooddrunk didn't like their quality/design.
Last edited by sombrero_mop at Aug 11, 2016,
Quote by zach.ar.adams
metalmingee Thanks for the suggestion! and those are very cool guitars! I'll look deeper into them when I get the time. Longer scale length is going to give you less buzz and floppiness when detuning, right? and a better sounding low end?

That's a yes on the "better sounding low end."
Buzz and floppiness depends on your string choice and your setup.
Quote by zach.ar.adams
blooddrunk Really? Why? They look nice? What don't you like?
metalmingee

Even money he's never touched an Agile in his life. You know how it is when you're fourteen.

Check out Agile comments on sevenstring.org and/or aguitarforum.com.
Agile has been at the forefront of extended range guitars (the owner of RondoMusic.com has been active on the sevenstring forum and listened pretty well). Not only do they have 7-string guitars, but 8, 9 and 10-string guitars, with and without trems (!) and even a bunch of fan-fret (multiscale) guitars at prices that are a LOT more reasonable than the previously "custom-order-only" things that were all that was available in the past. Ibanez was perhaps the first solid body electric 7-string on the market some years ago, but they're well behind what you can get from Agile these days.

I've got five Agiles at the moment. One was a custom order about six years ago, the rest were purchased used. None are 7-string, but I think I've got a pretty good handle on the general level of build quality and durability (two are my "bar guitars").
dspellman Haha! That's great to hear! They look quite appealing and I would be disappointed to learn they were low quality. Thank you for your comment! I'll read some reviews and look at them some more! Thanks!
sombrero_mop
dspellman Thanks for the info!