Hey there, I was just wondering how to book a gig? I am 17 and I play guitar and my bro plays drums. I'd like to start playing in public but I have no clue where to start. Any ideas?
Learn some songs well, find a popular street corner, play every song like it was your last. If you attract a crowd, gigs will follow. If you repel the crowd, no gigs. Back to the woodshed for more practice.

Play in the park, HS lunch hour, coffee house open mic night, talent show...
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Learn to play the songs you'll gig with well enough that you can play them blindfolded. Being competent at the songs you play makes you sound far better and it alleviates the anxieties of playing in public.

The music you play needs to be appropriate to the context of where you're playing and who you're playing in front of. Playing Cannibal Corpse songs while busking in the local city center would be horrifically awkward. Of course the more niche your audience and the more of a following you create, the more 'permissible' it is to play a distinctive style. But you need to get a foot in the door before you'll garner enough interest that people will be wanting to hear you play something distinct. So I'd start off with playing music that's recognizable to most people and branching out to the more distinctive ones later.

Ask local social gatherings like bars, clubs etc. if they would be interested in having your band on and consider what the premise owners would like you to play.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Find a venue you like. Learn songs that are popular and/or appropriate to that venue, and learn enough of them that you can play for as long as a gig might last, find a place to practice them in front of people, have a decent videographer put together a demo tape and then put it on the net and start physically shopping it at the places at which you're interested in playing. Back in the day we got a lot of gigs early on at colleges by inviting the people who hired bands to small parties that we had where we practiced.