Hi!
I just bought a Chapman ml-3 Modern and is looking to change the pickups to something warmer, hotter and tighter, as I play ALOT of rythm. I'm cimpletely new when it comes to pickups and have come to like the Dimarzio Paf Pro and the Seymor Duncan Jazz SH-2. I'm using an Orange CR60 and is often combining it with lot of fuzz. The genres I play is everything from very warm jazz to hard-rock such as Guns n' Roses, and also alot of Grunge and post-punk such as Alice in Chains and Basement. Do you think these two pickups is the right choise for me? I figured i would put the Dimarzio in the bridge and the Seymor Duncan in the neck. Or maybe i should get the Crunch Lab in the bridge instead?

The two chapman passive aggressive humbuckers that came with are way too bright, spanky and cold-sounding. For lead they sound decent and really cut through, but when it comes to playing riffs and adding feel into the playing; I just can't make them work for me. I want alot of sustain and and warm low-end when i'm playing.

I also saw this video of the Jazz sh-2 and they sounded so good compared to mine. Very warm and sustainy.
Hmmm...

The foundation of your tone is the amp, and I can't say I can think of anyone playing jazz or similar stuff though an Orange. A pickup change may not get the desired results.

Beyond that? Trying to use one guitar to range from jazz to G'nR or AiC is a tallish order. One or the other end of the guitar's tonal spectrum will be less than ideal. Still, if I were to try doing so myself, I'd probably opt for a hot, splittable HB in the bridge, and a warm P90 or HB-sized P90 in the neck.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 11, 2016,
I agree with Danny, the amp could be the main problem.

I've got SH-2s in two guitars, and I think they are comparatively bright and clinical. Fine for what I do, and I've Iooked at PAF Pros as an alternative (because they have 12 screw poles), but again maybe not what you are looking for.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Beyond that? Trying to use one guitar to range from jazz to G'nR or AiC is a tallish order. One or the other end of the guitar's tonal spectrum will be less than ideal.
Really? I don't see why a PAF-ish Gibson-style guitar wouldn't manage either nicely enough.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the guys using HBs for jazz are using lower output ones.

In the meantime, I see a LOT of P90s in jazz axes. Still, I just checked the builder's site for specs on Slash's LP copy, and apparently, he used SD Alnico IIs- essentially no hotter than a Gibson PAF. So I probably AM wrong.

And of course, on the flip side, Tony Iommi DOES use P90s, probably classically voiced ones from before they started spicing them up for guitarists searching for high-output P90s. The ones he used to create heavy metal might be perfectly capable of playing jazz tones. I have been known to play some nice-sounding jazz progressions with my Dean Cadillac...but though a Fender HRD.

Which all brings me back to looking at the amp first.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'm not sure a PAF Pro will do what you want. You could arguably use the words you used to describe why you don't like your current pickups to describe the PAF Pro when it's in the bridge position, lol.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?