Page 1 of 5
This made me giggle, so I thought I'd share.

Background:
I was signed up with movegb, a company in Bristol/Bath (UK) that offered me £30/month for membership. Many gyms and fitness clubs affiliate with them, and for my membership fee I am allowed to do activities at participating places. (eg. book a badminton court, swimming session, climbing session, yoga class etc.)

I was using this service for about 3 or 4 months (and have used it prior to that too), but over the last few weeks I wasn't using it much, so I decided to cancel. When I went to cancel, it said "You've still got 2 weeks paid for! If you cancel now you'll lose it! BUT if you set a rejoin date, we'll credit you with this 2 weeks when you rejoin!"

I might've wanted to rejoin at some point, but couldn't specify an exact date, so I just wanted to cancel. But I thought it would just cancel my renewal, not instantly cease my membership. I thought, if I'm flat out losing the time by cancelling, I should wait until later to cancel, because I might use the membership within the next 2 weeks.

And naturally, as they would hope for, I forgot to cancel. So they charged me another £30.

Short Version:
The day after they charged me I simply sent them an email requesting a refund. Hadn't used the membership in the last 2 weeks after all.

They refused. I asked again, explaining I hadn't really used the membership and didn't really intend to, so I just wanted my money back. They refused, and said their systems didn't allow refunds. I took to twitter instead. See further below.

Long Version:
Here are the actual emails sent between us.

I started with a fairly simple request:
Hello, I would like to cancel my account, please refund my payment for this month

They respond with a fairly copy/pasta email, also saying they are unable to offer a refund. GREAT customer service would have just refunded me. But this was fairly expected; I forgot to cancel so that's kinda on me.

Hi there Gary

This is a shame that you don't feel that we are able to help you keep active right now disappointed

As per your request your account will be deactivated and will expire before your next renewal payment is due. We aren't able to refund any month of membership in the past but this will halt any further payments smiley

Can I ask why you're choosing not to continue with MoveGB at the moment so that I can help us get it right next time?

Thanks!

I actually didn't forget to cancel, I just misread the date. I thought I could cancel yesterday (Wednesday) but that was actually the renewal date, so on Wednesday it charged me. I explain I tried to cancel before the renewal date.
I tried to deactivate yesterday my account BEFORE my renewal date, and it said I had already been billed.

Please refund the payment as I will not be using my movegb account this month.

Gary

She corrects me, and I realised my mistake. And it is my mistake. But y'know... we're all human, just give me the damn refund, right? They're meant to be providing a service and pleasing their customers, not hoping that customers accidentally pay them for stuff they don't want and won't use.
Your renewal date was yesterday, 10th August, so before would have been 9th I'm afraid.

I cannot process a refund for a payment of full membership - I wish I could help you further with this Gary but the system does not allow this disappointed

Have a good day

Now at this point, I'm getting pissed because it's becoming an ordeal. I expected them to just allow a refund after 2 emails, after I was clearly not happy about the situation. And definitely not happy about the "The system won't allow it" bullshit.
Hello,

I don't really want to spend my day arguing about this. I am not interested as to what your "systems" allow. It is possible for you to give me a refund, and since I don't intend to use my movegb account for the next month, it would seem quite sensible for you to grant me a refund. The fact that you would refuse this is absolutely disgusting business practise, and frankly I can't see how it's worth £29.97 to convey your company in this way.

What I am asking is not a complicated matter. I could understand if I was 1 week in to the 4 week period, or had perhaps booked an activity in the last day, but as it stands I have not used my movegb account for over a week. I am throwing basically money away by doing this, and the fact that you would be so adamant in forcing me to waste more money is despicable.

Please refund me the £29.97 and cancel my account.

Gary

And then they respond with this crap:

Hi again Gary

I don't mean to be argumentative at all, but we aren't able to do this for you unfortunately.

But there is a way to claim back your unused time as credit as you have not used your passport in 7 days and you have 28 days of membership already paid for, we can add these days together and add 35 days of credit to a rejoin date of your choice as this is the standard recommendation for any of our lovely members who need a break in their membership for larger period of time. This would mean that on your rejoin date, we would charge you the £29.97 for a regular 4 week bout of membership but then give you 35 days of usage time back in credit too, on top!

This is definitely the best option here for you Gary as you can not have your break and be recredited with your unused time when you're ready to come back to us again smiley

Let me know a rejoin date when you're set to get back to Moving with us!

Take care

So instead of giving me my money back, they try and upsell me. They want me to set a date for when I want to come back, at which point I get to pay them ANOTHER £30, and I will get 4 weeks of membership, PLUS the 35 days that I have already paid for in this instance.

At this point it looks like they won't refund me with out taking this higher. I didn't really fancy communicating with them any longer, or going through some arduous process calling them up and saying "Let me speak to your supervisor."

Hello,

You're not "unable" to do this, you're just refusing to, either because you can't be bothered to process a manual refund and figure out how to deal with my account on your system, or because that £29.97 is so valuable to you that you are willing to bully me out of it. Either way, you show company to have horrible customer service.

I don't have a scheduled date that I want to return as I'm not going on holiday or taking a break, I just can't afford it right now. And the reason I didn't cancel my account sooner was because of this stupid option; when I went to deactivate my account, it only offered me to select a rejoin date or forfeit my already-paid-for time, rather than just allowing the credit to run out. I therefore decided to wait before cancelling just in case I wanted to book something in the last few days, and of course forgot to cancel in time. It's a fairly transparent con. And given this experience, I'm not sure I'd ever want to join movegb again.

If you continue to refuse a refund, I will simply complain to my credit card company, or see what legal action I can take.

Gary

The Twitter War...
I use the term "war" very loosely.

As I pointed out in the email, I found it absolutely bizarre how this was worth £30 to them. How trying to bully me out of my money was the way they chose to handle this, instead of keeping me happy. They were essentially damaging their brand and reputation - and their goal was that they could keep their £30 and coax me into paying another £30 just to get use of the first £30 that I had already spent.

Anyway I wasn't satisfied with their reputation being soiled in just my eyes, so in true keyboard warrior fashion I took to twitter.

I used to work for an appliance manufacturer, who had a guy just for dealing with social media - because complaints on things like twitter are so influential and damaging to a brand, they had a guy to respond to these kind of complaints and resolve issues. It made customers very happy - They would go to twitter to blow off steam about their annoyance, and be pleasantly surprised when the big corporation responds to them personally saying "call us on this number and we'll sort it all out for you."

So basically I knew they'd actually try to resolve my issue if I complained on a public forum (Twitter).

After they tweeted that weirdly snarky response, I immediately received a call. They gave me a refund, and asked me if I would want to come back in the future (because I was on a discounted price for being a loyal customer), if I didn't return within 3 months I would lose the discount. I told them I had no idea if when I might want to come back so no thanks.

But obviously they couldn't leave it there, their twitter was still soiled. They had to show the issue was resolved, so they responded to my tweet again.

Now, at this point, I considered deleting my original tweet to save their reputation, as they had now resolved my issue. But only because I went and grassed them up to twitter. Still really shitty business practise, so they didn't really deserve complete redemption. I tweeted back thanking them for their help, but said it shouldn't have got that far in the first place.

And then they gave ANOTHER snarky response, which I found hard to interpret.

It's almost like they're saying "You're right, it SHOULDN'T have escalated, but it's your fault it did because we did a great job."

They should have just shut their damn mouth, but now they've pissed me off again. So I responded to their tweet, which should hopefully really piss them off, because they've really pissed me off. But it's making me giggle with anticipation to see if they dig a hole for themselves with another response.

Anyway, since this thread has no real point, discuss times you've battled companies and won.
Last edited by Gaz_m2k5 at Aug 11, 2016,
Great Twitter war, would read again.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by UltimateGuizar
Yeah, ain't nobody gonna read all that.

yeah <.<

(i enjoyed it)
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
yeah <.<

(i enjoyed it)

Aww, I thought you were my friend man, jeez
*edit also just to clarify, you know he not talking bout a Pokeymon Gym Trow right?
Last edited by UltimateGuizar at Aug 11, 2016,
LOL I like this blog. Good job. I like that you stood your ground and didn't take it like a bitch.

I got a friend who's such a doormat it's fucking infuriating. He vents to me that Comcast screwed him over because they upsold a service to him that he can't actually afford, and claimed they mislead him on the phone. I asked him "ok...well did you call back and demand a refund?" He said "well...no..." And I'm like "...ok are you going to...?" And like the bitch he is he goes "I don't wanna get confrontational..." So now he's paying 85-90 a months that he can't afford, all cuz he a BITCH.

Can't say I've dealt with any bad service in the last few years.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by ErikLensherr
Great Twitter war, would read again.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic... but I'll assume you are:

I'm an adult, so if you were expecting this thread to be racist comments against Leslie Jones, then sorry.

But also, I'm kinda hoping they will respond tomorrow... for my own entertainment purposes. At which point I might want help devising a response that fits into 140 characters.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic... but I'll assume you are:

I'm an adult, so if you were expecting this thread to be racist comments against Leslie Jones, then sorry.

But also, I'm kinda hoping they will respond tomorrow... for my own entertainment purposes. At which point I might want help devising a response that fits into 140 characters.

Hey save your firepower for them, I'm just a civilian
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I think it's so stupid that people expect companies to bend over backwards for them in terms of customer service. Especially in cases like these where it was the customer's mistake. They don't owe you a refund and I don't know why you bothered persisting.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by chrismendiola
I think it's so stupid that people expect companies to bend over backwards for them in terms of customer service. Especially in cases like these where it was the customer's mistake. They don't owe you a refund and I don't know why you bothered persisting.

I disagree completely. Customer service is an important part of a business. Keeping customers happy is how you build your brands trustworthiness and reputation. Shit customer service doesn't help them.

And the reason I "bothered persisting" was to get my money back.
Quote by chrismendiola
Sad!

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
you sound like a pain in the ass

all that bitching over 30 bucks
PM me for newts
Quote by StewieSwan
you sound like a pain in the ass

all that bitching over 30 bucks

Well in fairness that's exactly what I said to them in the emails... that I really didn't want to spend all day arguing over email. I kinda just expected them to do the fair thing and refund me straight away.

And £30 is a decent amount. Not to mention I don't have a proper income right now.

Like Xiaoxi said, I don't get the logic of people who are just doormats.

You say "all that bitching," but in my opinion, I'd be much more of a bitch if I just let them take me £30 and said "Oh I don't want to cause a fuss."
anymore when I call a business, I just assume I'm gonna get some clueless degenerate who's probably fumbling with his own phone and forgets where he works and what's going on.

"you need what sir?" "....."why are you calling me?, don't you have your own computer?"
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Well in fairness that's exactly what I said to them in the emails... that I really didn't want to spend all day arguing over email. I kinda just expected them to do the fair thing and refund me straight away.

And £30 is a decent amount. Not to mention I don't have a proper income right now.

Like Xiaoxi said, I don't get the logic of people who are just doormats.

You say "all that bitching," but in my opinion, I'd be much more of a bitch if I just let them take me £30 and said "Oh I don't want to cause a fuss."

You messed up. You didn't understand their policy. Your fault. Being a pain in the ass to get your way is what toddlers do.
PM me for newts
Quote by StewieSwan
You messed up. You didn't understand their policy. Your fault. Being a pain in the ass to get your way is what toddlers do.
spoken like a gubmint customer service bitch

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
spoken like a gubmint customer service bitch

I get physical pleasure out of denying people refunds
PM me for newts
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
I disagree completely. Customer service is an important part of a business. Keeping customers happy is how you build your brands trustworthiness and reputation. Shit customer service doesn't help them.

Obviously it's deemed important, which is why I mentioned that people expect companies to try to be as serving as possible. I just don't understand why you (and so many customers) want them to fellate you.
Last edited by chrismendiola at Aug 11, 2016,
lol nice, enjoyed this
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
this reminds me i need to call my bank and request they refund an overdraft fee.

i ordered new checks over a month ago and all i had from them was a confirmation email that they had gotten the order.

they also told me there might be a fee for the checks, but failed to tell me how much i was going to be charged.

checks finally showed up last week along with two new debit cards with the wrong name printed on them.

check my account and it had overdrafted. (in between jobs and had to take out cash to get gas)

so now i have no working debit card and negative funds in my account.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Very recently actually. I posted about it elsewhere already. Basically my order was lost, then sent again and returned to sender. It's been six months since I made the order. They wanted me to pay like 30 bucks for shipping again.

Anyway worked it out quick enough, even got an extra item out of it. I regret being kind of an asshole about the whole thing.

The time before that I saw a charge on my bank statement I didn't recognize and put up a damn storm against the bank... Turns out I made the payment myself I was so sure too.

Anyway ts you kinda overdid it. They still refunded you at the end. Just ignore it now. Remember that it's someone adhering to a policy script and is not emotionally invested in thirty pounds that isn't theirs
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Aug 11, 2016,
While we're on the topic, I sent my laptop in for a warranty claim over three months ago and they haven't sent it back. I've called to check in because they're not updating me. I keep forgetting about it, but I'm gonna need it for next semester so I gotta start making demands soon.
Free Ali
Free Lard
last time my doll popped they sent a new one in less than a week, it was great
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Very recently actually. I posted about it elsewhere already. Basically my order was lost, then sent again and returned to sender. It's been six months since I made the order. They wanted me to pay like 30 bucks for shipping again.

this reminds me of a time i was selling records online and some dumb shits at my local post office read my return address label as the address it was meant to be sent to and i ended up paying ~$2 to send a package to myself.

not really the same thing, but it reminded me of that instance of incompetance.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
As someone who has worked in customer service, it really depends on the rep.

Most cases I'd be totally willing to do a refund (below 30 bucks, after that it's passed to the super) if it was a mistake or first offense, but a coworker of mine told them they were idiots and that they didn't read the agreement and that they were SoL
Xbox Live: DeSquared94
PSN: desquared94
Last edited by Ablast at Aug 11, 2016,
And I thought the part before the short version was the long version lol.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by chrismendiola
Obviously it's deemed important, which is why I mentioned that people expect companies to try to be as serving as possible. I just don't understand why you (and so many customers) want them to fellate you.

What kinda shitty blow jobs have you had in the past? Giving a refund for something I didn't want that they charged me for is fellating me? Y'know almost every shop in the UK offers a refund on goods if you return them within 2 weeks.

It's pretty clear they're running the old "make them subscribe and hope they forget to cancel" trick, that all those online DVD rental places used to do. Particularly because of their shitty system, it didn't allow me to just stop the renewal. There was only an option to cancel my account, so if I did I would have lost the 2 weeks that I had remaining.

It's not like I said "You've wronged me! I want free stuff" which many customers do. I just wanted my money back.

Not sure why you think that's acceptable, but I hope you never run a business.

Quote by slipknot5678
so basically you paid for a month membership, decided half way through you dont actually want it anymore, then demanded a full refund.

yeah, not their fault. not being a doormat is not the same thing as acting like a 'toddler' as stewie said to get everything you want. if you are actually being wronged this might be justified. at my job if i fuck up i own it and that has lead to people rightly getting refunds. however what you did leans more towards the category of people who order something, eat most or all of it, then demand a refund cause they 'didnt like that flavor' or some shit and usually succeed when they make a huge fuss and threaten to go to twitter or yelp where everyone will believe their partial truths.

No that's not what happened at all. Work on your reading comprehension.
Half of my block of cheese from Iceland went mouldy before the sell by date so I comaplined to Iceland on Twitter and they gave me double of the price of cheese back in vouchers

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Once

I bought a video game

this game had to be activated via a steam key for some reason. odd for physical media

the key had already been used, and as such the disk was worthless

i promptly contacted the company selling the disk - who had not included this information in their listing = and asked for a refund

they apologised, explained why it happened, and refunded me

the end
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
It kinda sounds like you got confrontational for no reason.

This is why you never cancel your gym memberships people. It gets you cranky.
Quote by StewieSwan
I get physical pleasure out of denying people refunds

~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by TheChaz
It kinda sounds like you got confrontational for no reason.

This is why you never cancel your gym memberships people. It gets you cranky.

Well, not for no reason... they annoyed me when they tried to upsell me instead of offering a refund like a sensible business.

Seems to me they were just deliberately being assholes by denying a refund. And when you look at all the posts in this thread of everyone who disagrees with how I handled it... they all went straight to childish name calling and passive aggressive insults. It gives you a bit of insight as to what kind of people they are. And they all missed the point entirely.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Well, not for no reason... they annoyed me when they tried to upsell me instead of offering a refund like a sensible business.

Seems to me they were just deliberately being assholes by denying a refund. And when you look at all the posts in this thread of everyone who disagrees with how I handled it... they all went straight to childish name calling and passive aggressive insults. It gives you a bit of insight as to what kind of people they are. And they all missed the point entirely.

Did you actually read the contract you signed when you signed up tho.
Quote by TheChaz
Did you actually read the contract you signed when you signed up tho.

I didn't sign any contract. Infact I didn't even tick a box to agree to any terms and conditions

INFACT I just went to the website to check if there was, and it said "Here are the options you have for sign up." and it went and charged me for one. No fucking joke, I'm going to have to contact them again and get another refund.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
I didn't sign any contract. Infact I didn't even tick a box to agree to any terms and conditions

INFACT I just went to the website to check if there was, and it said "Here are the options you have for sign up." and it went and charged me for one. No fucking joke, I'm going to have to contact them again and get another refund.

Interesting. I've never heard of any company that would keep you on a recurring payment without having you sign terms and conditions to protect themselves. There isn't even a text box saying "by selecting an option, you agree to our terms and conditions" anywhere? That is weird.
Last edited by TheChaz at Aug 12, 2016,
You should just sue them imo

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51
You should just sue them imo

whoa that sounds pretty American
Page 1 of 5