Page 1 of 2
Hey ya'll, so I fall into the camp of "folks who have weird taste in guitars," and I was wondering how many of us are out there. Maybe my learning instrument had an impact on this, but my niche seems to be those cheap guitars made in the far east in the 60's. You know the ones, with weird names like Zim-Gar, Fandel, Kent, Tempro; and even weirder body shapes. I don't know, for me It's something about that chunky neck, low & thin frets, and slightly microphonic pickups that just sounds SO GOOD when cranked (to me at least ).

Downside, these guitars do have some playability issues.
Upside: I have two of these right now, a solidbody and a semi-hollowbody, and cost me $230. Total, for both of them, AND setup.

So what about the rest of you? There's got to be more of us out there, I know it!
I tthink that "odd" is a least partly relative. - Anything with spikes would certainly be odd for the kind of things I play. I think that a lot of folks, including myself, would agree that those old Japanese guitars have a lot of mojo, and that microphonic pickups aren't always bad. Ry Cooder sometimes plays an old Guyatone, for example, and his Coodercaster uses vintage oddity pickups.

It was odd stuff that really got me started on electric guitars, in the form of vintage lap steels with their string-through pickups. My favourite electric sound is a prewar Rick lap steel with its horseshoe pickup. FWIW, I don't think that price and performance are usefully related in electrics, my favourite cost Oz$65 and needed nothing doing to it except a set up.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I have serious doubts that I have any taste at all. My stuff just seems to be a jumble of random sh...er...stuff.

Worse, I've begun looking for some of those ESP-built visual kei guitars. They're weird and I LIKE 'em.
And no, I don't think I can pull off the look, and I don't have any idea WHERE I'd pull it off in LA, but the guitars, on the other hand, I can do.
Not sure if this counts as weird or not but I dislike the usual guitar shapes (Telecaster, strat, les paul, etc.). I absolutely love the winged guitars, such as the dean ML or jackson warrior. the more polygons the better.
Who needs shred when you've got rhythm guitar? :^)
Guitars:
Jackson King V (With a Wilde L500XL in the bridge)
Ibanez Iron Label RGIX27FEQM (7-string)
you mean like someone who likes variax's, reverends and fret kings?

nope, don't know anyone like that.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Yümmy stüffz tø løøk åtz:
http://thundereagleguitars.com
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

i thought danny would be the first poster in this thread.

i run pretty normal guitars these days, danny likes obscure stuff, i have 18 electrics (sold off a few), and danny has IIRC 30+, and we have not ONE guitar from the same brand.

i am boring, fender, gibson, ibanez, etc. but that is just me.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I can't be everywhere simultaneously. I'm no saint!

The reasons I don't buy the "normal" stuff are varied. One part is that I've tried those brands and they just don't feel right in my hands or against my body. The process of shopping for my first electric in Texas- sorting through Fenders, Gibsons, Ibanezes, Shechters and BC Riches (mostly)- made me a convert to the "shop with your hands, not with your eyes or ears" philosophy.

Another factor is innovation. Some of these lesser-known companies are producing guitars that have features rare or unknown in other brands.

And despite what I said, to be completely honest, there IS a certain appeal in having something that simply looks different. If nothing else, it's a conversation starter.

Quote by dspellman
I have serious doubts that I have any taste at all. My stuff just seems to be a jumble of random sh...er...stuff.

Worse, I've begun looking for some of those ESP-built visual kei guitars. They're weird and I LIKE 'em.
And no, I don't think I can pull off the look, and I don't have any idea WHERE I'd pull it off in LA, but the guitars, on the other hand, I can do.
Nah, I think you should go for it. Express yourself.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am boring, fender, gibson, ibanez, etc. but that is just me.
Same, except basically just the Fender bit. G&L or a good Japanese copy if I'm feeling adventurous.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Aug 12, 2016,
Yeah I like odd and non traditional shaped guitars I have 14 guitars 7 of superstrats by various makers but some of them are definately not your run of the mill shapes: here are 2 of them!

And before anyone says anything I no longer own the Line 6

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine
And before anyone says anything I no longer own the Line 6

Tell me that you at least still have the Special 130 though. Those '84ish Peavey solid states with the silver plates on the sides of the speakers and the funny black/blue/white/gray/blue/white/grey/grey/etc knob color schemes are absolutely beyond awesome. Amazing clean tone and they take distortion pedals better than just about anything. Nihilist/Entombed were using a Studio Pro 40 and Bandit 65 with a DS-1 and HM-2 and those guitar sounds are legendary. Also Ihsahn used a Bandit 65 on In the Nightside Eclipse. And the best thing is that they can be had real cheap these days used. I highly advice anyone and everyone that reads this to buy any of those mid 80s Studio Pro, Bandit, Special, etc 12" combos if you can get your hands on one.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
My most 'odd' would be a Jackson Kelly so not really no.
Quote by theogonia777
Tell me that you at least still have the Special 130 though. Those '84ish Peavey solid states with the silver plates on the sides of the speakers and the funny black/blue/white/gray/blue/white/grey/grey/etc knob color schemes are absolutely beyond awesome. Amazing clean tone and they take distortion pedals better than just about anything. Nihilist/Entombed were using a Studio Pro 40 and Bandit 65 with a DS-1 and HM-2 and those guitar sounds are legendary. Also Ihsahn used a Bandit 65 on In the Nightside Eclipse. And the best thing is that they can be had real cheap these days used. I highly advice anyone and everyone that reads this to buy any of those mid 80s Studio Pro, Bandit, Special, etc 12" combos if you can get your hands on one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peavey-Special-130-Amp-with-Footswitch-/112071492785?hash=item1a17fb44b1:g:72wAAOSwbsBXlzCf

I'll buy it and resell it. All yours for 600 quid free shipping.

Now there's a deal you can't refuse.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 12, 2016,
I'm mostly a fan of conventional shapes BUT there are a few weird ones I'd love to own.

Like, I really want a natural Mockingbird or one of those Uli Jon Roth teardrop guitars.

Otherwise my weirdest guitar is probably a blue burst Dean Z.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
T00DEEPBLUE

They're cheaper than that over here.

I also have a lovely Studio Pro 40.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Aug 12, 2016,
My taste in guitars is total normalfag tier, Stratocasters, Telecasters, Les Pauls, SG's and Super Strats (specifically of the Ibanez variety) I used to like Explorers and Flying V's when I was an edgy teenager but I got sick of my Mum whinging and nagging and making me fix the holes in the wall every time I would turn around and tear a chunk out the wall with one of the spikes.

Once I got old enough to move out I found myself just wanting to surround myself with the classics and am much more conscious of where I stand and where I flail my guitars around now now it is my house I would be wrecking and devalueing.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Quote by theogonia777
T00DEEPBLUE

They're cheaper than that over here.

Than 600 quid?

I'd hope so.
Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
I used to like Explorers and Flying V's when I was an edgy teenager but I got sick of my Mum whinging and nagging and making me fix the holes in the wall every time I would turn around and tear a chunk out the wall with one of the spikes.

That's how you fucking do it, son.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 12, 2016,
yeah definitely some of the older obscure guitars are really interesting to me even moreso than the big brands
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Than 600 quid?

I'd hope so. .

Than 190 British pounds.
K33nbl4d3

Oi was thinking along the lines of Versailles...

Or maybe...

I have costumers standing by...

And maybe:

Or (I really want to find this one):

Last edited by dspellman at Aug 12, 2016,
I'm also talking to Trussart about a Steelphonic (note the piezo on the "candybox" under the bridge...) in this rust/cream snakeskin (metal body) look.

*sigh*

I wish ol' whatshisname* hadn't gotten banned for spamming the forum with 9 underinformative NGD threads in one day, so he could share his Teuffel guitar pix with us in here...

* StealthTastic. Took me a while to remember.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 12, 2016,
Oh yeah, and a Gittler. No "thumb over" stuff on this one.

Last edited by dspellman at Aug 12, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
*sigh*

I wish ol' whatshisname* hadn't gotten banned for spamming the forum with 9 underinformative NGD threads in one day, so he could share his Teuffel guitar pix with us in here...

* StealthTastic. Took me a while to remember.

I vaguely remember that

Quote by dspellman

I'd like to play it like a lap steel and see all the disapproving looks
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by dspellman

Liking a guitar whose name rhymes with certain antisemitic is pretty odd, I'll give you that.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by dspellman
Or maybe...

Alright but Royz sucks

I'm sure you'd rock Hizaki's look though.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Liking a guitar whose name rhymes with certain antisemitic is pretty odd, I'll give you that.

I use amtispumatics on cuts and bug bites.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

I'd like to play it like a lap steel and see all the disapproving looks

I'll bet TSA wouldn't let you through with that guitar. Three flights later you'd still be giving them a concert to prove what it is.
"It's a guitar."

*slap*

"It's a guitar."

*slap*

"It's a prop from the next Terminator movie."

*slap*

"It's a guitar."

*slap*

"It's your mama's suppository."

*slap*

"It's a guitar."

*slap*

The truth is I only play guitars with Rhythm In Jump Dancing Close To You branded Floyd Roses. That's why I never get around to taking those photos of my ostensible Telecasters.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I have weird taste in everything. My favorite guitar is a 60s possible teisco mustang copy. Someone replaced the fretboard and now the high e falls off the neck so it's a 5 string with 12s and a chrome pick gaurd with no electronics in it. Semi-eccoustic. Id post a pick but yhere are none.
I'm putting together the pieces for a project to make almost this exact guitar. Already ordered SD Blackouts for it and everything else is in the process. In my opinion this is probably one of the coolest guitar shapes. No idea why
Guitars:
well don't go out of my way or anything but I've been known to play an odd one here and there. been a long time fan of BC Rich so I guess that would count. the Eagle I play now is probably the tamest of their original designs but still is kinda odd.
"Odd" seems like a somewhat relative term, depending on the context. I'm mostly traditionalist when it comes to gear (I mainly stick to Gibson, Jackson, and Fender instruments), but I do love pointy shaped stuff like V's (Although it wouldn't be considered weird to use one at all for most of the music I play).

Maybe the most odd thing about my taste in gear, is that I find my flying V's more comfortable to sit down with and play than some of the more traditional shapes out there (such as Les Pauls).
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by adexder
I'm putting together the pieces for a project to make almost this exact guitar. Already ordered SD Blackouts for it and everything else is in the process. In my opinion this is probably one of the coolest guitar shapes. No idea why

This was a project of mine a while back; I used it as a pickup test bed (it's currently got Blackouts in it, FWIW, but not in this photo). Yours has more sitcky-outy bits.

Last edited by dspellman at Aug 14, 2016,
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Alright but Royz sucks

I'm sure you'd rock Hizaki's look though.

Izzit Hizaki or Herzaki?

For those out of the conversation: Hizaki is a musician and producer (late '30's?) in the band Versailles who, in costume and makeup looks like this:

and out of makeup and costume, looks like this (and is a dude, though I don't know that anyone has confirmed dangly bits):

And no, I'm afraid I couldn't do EITHER look very convincingly.
There are a couple of websites devoted to "visual kei artists out of makeup." In Japan, it's a bit like it was back in the day (when he was dating Cher, who "nearly crippled him") catching Gene Simmons in public without the demon makeup. I've always preferred Gene in the paint, honestly.

Okay, back to guitars...
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 14, 2016,
dspellman
Well, a further word on Hizaki, I do like his ESP signature model in all its obnoxiously ostentatious glory:
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by dspellman
This was a project of mine a while back; I used it as a pickup test bed (it's currently got Blackouts in it, FWIW, but not in this photo). Yours has more sitcky-outy bits.

That actually looks really cool. Did you just buy the guitar already mostly together or did you have assemble some parts?
Guitars:
Page 1 of 2