i have a peavey rage 158 and some cheap guitar and was wondering if i should buy any effect pedals or if they just wouldnt be any good without amp better or pick ups.
In my opinion, it just depends on what you play and what direction you want to go in. If I were in your place, I would prioritize buying some decent gear first as I don't really play pedal oriented music or I have all the effects I need for now. Effects are just icing to the cake that is your tone imo.
Who needs shred when you've got rhythm guitar? :^)
Guitars:
Jackson King V (With a Wilde L500XL in the bridge)
Ibanez Iron Label RGIX27FEQM (7-string)
well i really like playing classic metal but i would like to play some Metallica and kirk uses the wah i just didnt know if i should get it yet.
The world is your oyster. You can buy whatever you want. Or not.

If you want validation to buy something then go do it.

Used Crybaby wahs can go for dirt cheap - I got one for $15.

Maybe you would like a multi fx that has an expression pedal?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
A wah pedal should sound cool even without a gear upgrade. If you can get a crybaby for 15 there is no question. They go for 50-75 here. Other effects might not sound so good without an effects loop. The rage probably has some fairly good distortion but a 12 inch speaker might make it sound better. If it has an extension speaker out it might be worth plugging it in to some other speakers to see if maybe you just need a bigger peavey
Last edited by geo-rage at Aug 12, 2016,
Quote by harpjonathan1
i would like to play some Metallica and kirk uses the wah i just didnt know if i should get it yet.

If you want to, go for it as metalmingee said. I would say it depends on how much you plan to use it. I personally wouldn't use many pedals if I got any because I typically ignore effects but if you're into those kinds of details then it could be worth it
Who needs shred when you've got rhythm guitar? :^)
Guitars:
Jackson King V (With a Wilde L500XL in the bridge)
Ibanez Iron Label RGIX27FEQM (7-string)
Quote by metalmingee
Maybe you would like a multi fx that has an expression pedal?
I'd recommend this as well. Multi FX pedals are great for when you have simple gear and are looking for a tone that suits you without having to drop hundreds on different pedals.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line