Hello,

Trying to record using MAudio Fasttrack USB and playback through laptop speakers.

I've tried asio drivers with no joy. Can anyone help?

Below is a screenshot of the project and pref screens:

Last edited by gravyYelp at Aug 13, 2016,
Could another process on my laptop be be using the output or something?

I can see the input signal on the track, i just can't hear anything.
I cannot even find my drivers here, is my interface too old?

http://m-audio.com/support/drivers
Firstly, doing critical listening or mixing on laptop speakers will not give good results. Doing casual work is fine though.

You may need to adjust the drivers elsewhere. If you are on PC, there should be a little speaker icon in the lower-right corner. Right-click it and select playback devices. You may see something there of another driver or something corresponding to what you need. Another possibility is Reaper may be trying to route both the input and output out to your interface. If so, a simple solution would just be to connect headphones to the headphone out of the interface. If not, you may just need to adjust the "Playback" settings in Reaper's menu that you have pulled up in the first picture.

Also, check the other settings so they are correct. You want the "input" to be the M-Audio unit, but the "output" or playback to be your computers speakers (whatever driver they may use).
You're trying to play back through laptop speakers... when the output device is the interface...

Dude. Come on. Basic stuff.

Also, this is not possible on windows. It's possible on Mac OS by making what's known as an "aggregate device" via Core Audio, but ASIO and Windows do not support it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Thanks for the replies folks.

I'm finding the learning curve a bit too steep to be honest.

Is there a more user friendly DAW other than Reaper? I just need to record my guitar over a backing track, yet Reaper seems massively overkill!
You want to know the solution?

Plug headphones into the interface.

Done.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You can do this with ASIO4ALL drivers, but whether it'll actually be stable is a whole other issue. Windows really wasn't set up to use two different devices for audio like that.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by gravyYelp
Thanks for the replies folks.

I'm finding the learning curve a bit too steep to be honest.

Is there a more user friendly DAW other than Reaper? I just need to record my guitar over a backing track, yet Reaper seems massively overkill!

I understand your dilemma but even if you go to a simpler recording piece of software like,"Audacity" it's limitations will actually complicate things as you move along.Stick with Reaper and take on-board the help from here.It will all fall into place.We have all gone through this techo overload.

The drum software I now love(Jamstix) I got frustrated with twice on it's free demo but went back to it over a year period.Now I would not use anything else as it's just too good

As another poster said Laptops are OK for musical sketches but they are in all realty just a notepad unless in the hands of experienced/pros but even they can't wait to swap the content to their main system ;-)