i can't find a place where to ask this, so i thought i would stick it here.

i am going to start doing youtube videos, and i must say i don't know where to start regarding software.

i have a good DSLR that shoots 1080p video.
i have a mic for the camera incoming (Rode on camera mic), which will be used for talking.
i am using reaper for a DAW.
i have a scarlet 2i4 for audio, and a handful of mic's.
i have shitty rockett 6" monitors (i got them really cheap), and a decent set of senehiser hs280 headphones.

for a computer, i have a brand new HP with an i7 and 16gb of ram and a 2tb hard drive.

____

now for the videos, i will do the typical variety of covers, reviews, and demos.

i don't know where to start.

what do you all use for video editing software? i would prefer something cheap (or free ). i am not needing to do anything crazy, i just want to be able to stitch different cuts together, add some text on the screen, and have some basic transitions. maybe some visual editing stuff, but i don't need anything professional, this is just for fun. i also want to be able to synchronize audio to video, which shouldn't be too much to ask.

so what software would you recommend? any advice would be great.

thanks.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Firstly, I am very much still learning how to do YT vidyas so take my recommendations with as little or as much care as you want.

I use Windows Movie Maker for my videos. It can do the tasks you listed. And it is also free. The problem with it is that it is free, so I have encountered a few quirks with it. For instance, I cannot export in MP4 without getting digital artifacts in the audio. I now use WMV as the export file. I do not notice much a difference if at all between those two file types in comparison to just the audio aside for the artifacts. It may be something on my CP or how I have things set that does not allow MP4 output properly, I do not know. YOU may not encounter these problems, it may also depend upon the original camera capture file, dunno.

So for "Just for fun", it will be fine. But goodness no I do not recommend it for professional use. If you want to see the "results" I get, check the link in my description. Don't go back too far though because I did not normalize the audio right which is not WMM's fault.
Last edited by Will Lane at Aug 12, 2016,
i am literally putting this all together now. i got a rode shotgun mic for my camera, ended up getting adobe photoshop and premier elements, and on Saturday i got a long HDMI cable so i can connect that up to my TV so i can see myself while i am doing videos. i will let you know how it works!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I got Sony Vegas lite (Movie Studio 13) for $30 and does all the editing I want and can use up to 4 tracks of audio so I could even track audio direct to it. If you can go up with the more expensive full version of Vegas you could do everything including your audio recording and video recording in one place. It is a full fledged DAW and video recording platform.

http://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/?lang=us&prdt=vegassoftware

I also posted some freeware video editors that can also do the job much better than Microsoft's built in Movie Maker:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1704075

OP - no idea what you'd need to boom mic as you only need the camera audio to sync with your DAW recording, then it can be disposed once you've synced the audio with your DAW audio which is recorded in better quality.
I'm a pure amateur when it comes to video for Youtube but I did this using the free Windows movie maker and a cheap 20 beer token Logitech Web cam,

I downloaded the backing track from Youtube,with permission from the contributor 258 Lemons.Converted it it an Mp3 using the free Freemake Video Converter.I did this because my Recording DAW,Reaper,didn't like MP4s e.g Lag and Artifacts.

Because 258 lemons didn't put the BPM of the track I used a free BPM program to get the BPM,

http://www.abyssmedia.com/bpmcounter/

even that's can be funky as I had to halve what it said the BPM was on this mp3 but not on others :O

Then loaded the mp3 into Reaper.Started Reaper and the Logitech software and recorded myself with the backing.Then edited in WMM.

I'm only adding all this info because as I've found out even doing simple videos ain't that simple if you want to get a decent end result :P

If anyone knows any free video software that does that,"Split Screen" trick so I can play guitar and bass etc on the video please let me know

I did this one pretty much the same but as a review of the Tonerider pickups I'm using,

Last edited by sheppola1 at Sep 10, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane
I use Windows Movie Maker for my videos. It can do the tasks you listed. And it is also free. The problem with it is that it is free, so I have encountered a few quirks with it.
I take back any hint of recommendation from this statement. I am done with WMM. I do not know why, it just does not work like it should. I could go into detail if anyone wants to know. May just be my computer or something on my end- but I cannot recommend it safely...
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 3, 2016,