Hey guys,

So currently i have a 4x12 cab loaded with four G12h30 speakers (75hz Resonance frequency) from 1973.
I've heard many people say that for metal the best way to go is with v30's.

Can someone help me out here, sound samples on youtube don't really help me any further since they're either bad recording or not metal.
I either play through a Peavey 6505mh or randall 1503h amp head.

Also it has come to my understanding that the speakers i have now are worth a fair bit of money, anyone got info on that?

Info on the speakers:
Celestion G12h30 12inch
Heavy Magnet
30 watts
Year: 1973
Made in UK
"Rola celestion LTD."

I'm not sure about vintage gear values, someone else will have to help you with that.

assuming your vintage g12h30s are similar to modern ones, they'll be a bit more scooped than v30s, have a bit more bite in the treble, and not be as tight on the bass. they probably have more of a classic to hard rock type of sound than modern metal, but if you like how they sound that's all that matters.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Not sure I'd say that Vintage 30's are the 'best' for metal. They are popular for metal though (a lot of musicians use them), and work very well in that capacity. There is a growing number of K100 fans out there for metal. Still some folks using T75's. Creambacks are finding some fans in the metal realm as well. It's really a matter of taste. Not to mention that there are Eminence models, Scumbacks, and WGS to consider, all offering their own spin and flavor. I have my own particular combination of speakers that I like with my 6505, but your ears are your ears.

Gotta recommend that you pop over to a music shop and plug into some different cabs, if that is an option. Listen with your own ears and go from there.

Can't really say on how much your speakers are worth... I suppose they are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them. Might want to troll around on various auction sites and see what similar speakers are selling for.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Last edited by ThunderPunk at Aug 12, 2016,
Thank for the answers!

I think i'll go to the guitar shop and try out some v30 cabs.
but just to get in straigt, overall v30 is more tight sounding and have more bass?
becouse that is kinda what i'm looking for
^ tighter but probably less bass. tighter normally means less bass.

classic leads sound a bit like more modern g12h30s- chunkier (and tighter) bass, and just generally more modern-sounding. Or you can pair a classic lead with a V30 to get sort of the best of both worlds. I haven't tried the g12k100, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 13, 2016,
Also V30's are a bit harsh before they are broken in evidently. I've only purchased used V30s so I'm just repeating what I've heard here.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Having bought a number of V30's new (as standalone and in cabinets) they can benefit from some break in. But in my experience not really any more than it does with any other speaker.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
I like k85's a lot, and have eight. they are the precursor k100's, but made in England. I absolutely love them. I really like them used with v30's.

k100's are significantly cheaper than v30's (at least new), which is always a plus.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I agree. The K100/V30 mix is a good one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
thanks guys, i think i'm gonna sell these and get me some v30's they just have a bit more low en growling to them
trashedlostfdup the 85's are awesome for metal. I try to keep an eye out for ones on ebay all the time just to have them. V30's are fine but I think the 85's are a bit more scooped and tight on the low end.
K-85's are found in some late '80's (maybe early '90's) peavey cabinets. i have two of them and i paid less than $100 for each loaded cab.

i would hoard more if i could find them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
the guy at the guitar store said that the Celestion g12k-100 is the best for metal, he really loves it, anybody know more about this speaker? never heard of this type before.
Quote by martin.ouwehand
the guy at the guitar store said that the Celestion g12k-100 is the best for metal, he really loves it, anybody know more about this speaker? never heard of this type before.

the k85's and k100's as far as i could find were the same speaker. supposedly they changed just the power rating, IIRC also the k100's weren't ever made in England, and k85's are all England.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
yeah i haven't tried either but i think i heard that they were the same.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?