Hello everyone,

I am trying to record my electric drums. I am trying to do in a similar way to when I mic up my cab, minus the mic part.

I currently have it set so the brain goes into the interface, monitors are attached, using reaper etc.

Not getting any input signal at all. Am I missing something? Do I need another piece of hardware or software?

Thanks
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
There is too little information here. What drumset model? Do you have the output on the module active? Is the input gain on the interface set properly or muted? Have you checked the output cable from the drum module to the interface? Anything muted/disabled on Reaper? Do you have the cable plugged in the right port on the module? Are you getting signal at the interface and not the DAW, or no signal at all? If there is not signal at the interface, then likely the problem is not within your DAW- it is something before/at the interface.
Last edited by Will Lane at Aug 12, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane
There is too little information here. What drumset model? Do you have the output on the module active? Is the input gain on the interface set properly or muted? Have you checked the output cable from the drum module to the interface? Anything muted/disabled on Reaper? Do you have the cable plugged in the right port on the module? Are you getting signal at the interface and not the DAW, or no signal at all? If there is not signal at the interface, then likely the problem is not within your DAW- it is something before/at the interface.

Lots of questions lol.

Let me rephrase my question. I no what inputs are what, and buttons etc.

Given everything is hooked up correctly, am I able to record the drums with only a Drum set, audio interface, and DAW like reaper.

Do I absolutely need a sound module, or is this doable?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Well, yes.... And no....

How's that?

Option 1: Connect midi out from the drum module to midi in on your interface. Record away. Use virtual drums. Do you need the module for this? Yes.

Option 2a: Your drums are actual acoustic drums with triggers built in. In that case, mic them up like you would an acoustic kit, and record away. No module required.

Option 2b: Your electric drums are themselves merely triggers. Without the module, they just sound like the rat-a-tat-tat of of hitting plastic rubber. You could try recording them without the module, but it's doubtful that that is the sound you are after. So yeah, you need the module.

What I would do is record the song via midi putting each "drum" on its own track. That way, you can choose a variety of possible options for each drum. After trying a few VSTi's, you might find you still just really love the kick drum sound that comes from the module. No problem. Route the midi out of your computer to the midi in on the module and record the kick drum sound through the module. It's nice to have options.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris

Thanks, that awsnered my question. MIDI it is.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
axemanchris

Thanks, that awsnered my question. MIDI it is.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
... If your electric drumset has "brains" or a module with pre-built in sound samples, you can record from an output of the module (a master output I guess) like a 1/4 or XLR cable directly into the interface, but you will get a single audio track of what you played. The "drums" trigger sound samples from the module.

However, if your electric kit has a MIDI-out kind of thing, you can use just that port and bypass the drumset's built-in module. Then, that MIDI-out signal controls VSTi samples that are in your DAW. So you do not have to use the module OF the kit, but you can choose whether the kit will control its own module, or a VSTi program in the DAW.
Last edited by Will Lane at Aug 14, 2016,