I want to get a Kurt Cobain sound but i don't have much money
I currently have a squier Jaguar and a Marshall MG15CDR
I am thinking of getting a Laney LG35R for gigging with
I am also considering a Boss ds-2 and a Nano Clone
What pedals and amp would you recommend
Im looking for an amp less than £200 but needs to be loud enough for gigs and i wouldn't want to spend more than £60 on a pedal
Quote by luke.g.henderso
Would your amp be mic'd up, or able to be DI'd to the desk? Or does it need to do all the work?

Yeah

Also, I mean, is selling your amp and holding off on buying pedals an option for you? If so, you could bump your budget up and get a really nice amp for the price instead of that Laney.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Yeah

Also, I mean, is selling your amp and holding off on buying pedals an option for you? If so, you could bump your budget up and get a really nice amp for the price instead of that Laney.

I have a Peavey Valveking Royal 8 which i am going to try an sell to my local guitar shop for about £50, so yes a could try and get an amp for a bit more, what would you recommend?
Quote by elidanczuk
I have a Peavey Valveking Royal 8 which i am going to try an sell to my local guitar shop for about £50, so yes a could try and get an amp for a bit more, what would you recommend?

It really depends on how much you can stretch your budget. In the £300-450 range you could probably find something decent from Orange, Egnater, Peavey etc...

I'm from the other side of the pond though so I'm not too familiar with what you have available there and what they usually go for.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It really depends on how much you can stretch your budget. In the £300-450 range you could probably find something decent from Orange, Egnater, Peavey etc...

I'm from the other side of the pond though so I'm not too familiar with what you have available there and what they usually go for.

i quite like orange amplifiers, There is the Orange Crush 35RT for £200 but also the CR60C for £370. Would i need a tube amp to get the Kurt cobain sound?
I mean, you don't need a tube amp to get any sound. Tube amps are the preference for a lot of people but that doesn't mean you can't use a solid state amp or that solid state amps aren't good.

That being said, my preference is usually tube so that's what I recommend 9/10 times. I have only tried the smaller Crush amps and I wasn't crazy about them. I hear the bigger ones are better and a lot of people dig them but I haven't tried them so if somebody else wants to chime in with info then sweet. I personally would rather a Tiny Terror or something similar to that. Plenty loud for most applications but killer sounds and more than enough gain for Nirvana.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I mean, you don't need a tube amp to get any sound. Tube amps are the preference for a lot of people but that doesn't mean you can't use a solid state amp or that solid state amps aren't good.

That being said, my preference is usually tube so that's what I recommend 9/10 times. I have only tried the smaller Crush amps and I wasn't crazy about them. I hear the bigger ones are better and a lot of people dig them but I haven't tried them so if somebody else wants to chime in with info then sweet. I personally would rather a Tiny Terror or something similar to that. Plenty loud for most applications but killer sounds and more than enough gain for Nirvana.

Tiny terror's are only £99 so i could a used 2x12 with that and get an eq pedal infront of it
Are they loud enough to compete against a drummer without micing up?
Last edited by elidanczuk at Aug 13, 2016,
Are you sure you found a Tiny Terror for 99? The micro terror isn't a tiny terror. That's a different amp. They are loud enough if you don't need a super clean tone.

It's best for you to try these things out before you just jump the gun and make a purchase.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Are you sure you found a Tiny Terror for 99? The micro terror isn't a tiny terror. That's a different amp. They are loud enough if you don't need a super clean tone.

It's best for you to try these things out before you just jump the gun and make a purchase.

sorry i was mistaken. I thought you had said micro terror. And yes you are correct i shouldn't rush in but i always like to have an idea if that makes sense.
sorry
elidanczuk

You can just stand real close to your amp and you'll get static noise, if it looks stupid but it works it ain't stupid.
How often have we chased the dream of progress, only to see that dream perverted?
More often than not, haven't the machines we built to improve life shattered the lives of millions?
And now we want to turn that dream on ourselves, to fundamentally improve who we are.
Experience has shown me how dangerous that can be.
Quote by YoShockray
elidanczuk

You can just stand real close to your amp and you'll get static noise, if it looks stupid but it works it ain't stupid.

It only works though if your amp volume is high enough
The DS-2 and the Neo Clone should be definite purchases if you want to sound like Cobain. The Neo Clone is basically the same pedal as the Small Clone that he used, but in a smaller housing. It seems that he also used a Tech 21 Sansamp and an EHX Polychorus,, but I would go with the first two pedals. If I were going for that kind of sound without spending too much, but enough to gig with, I would probably look for a hybrid combo with a 12" speaker, maybe a 10" would do.

But an alternative is to buy a 2x12" cabinet and an EHX 44 magnum, which is a 44 watt, solid state power amp. They're about £120 new, and there are videos of them being used to drive 4x12" cabs. It should give you a base for your sound that you can shape with pedals, until you can buy a proper head.

Quote by luke.g.henderso
The DS-2 and the Neo Clone should be definite purchases if you want to sound like Cobain. The Neo Clone is basically the same pedal as the Small Clone that he used, but in a smaller housing. It seems that he also used a Tech 21 Sansamp and an EHX Polychorus,, but I would go with the first two pedals. If I were going for that kind of sound without spending too much, but enough to gig with, I would probably look for a hybrid combo with a 12" speaker, maybe a 10" would do.

But an alternative is to buy a 2x12" cabinet and an EHX 44 magnum, which is a 44 watt, solid state power amp. They're about £120 new, and there are videos of them being used to drive 4x12" cabs. It should give you a base for your sound that you can shape with pedals, until you can buy a proper head.

Thank you a lot, i shall look into getting a hybrid and i shall definitely get a ds-2 and a neo clone
Quote by luke.g.henderso

What would you recommend a Fender Champion 40 or a Laney LG35R?
It's between those two or finding some second hand amp in a pawn shop or somethng
Without having played them, I would go with Fender.
A lot of music stores have second-hand sections online. Where in the UK are you?
Honestly the simplest way to do it is get a Boss DS-1 (or DS-2), any chorus pedal, and the loudest clean amp you can afford.

I'd go with the Laney over the Champion myself.
I definitely agree about finding a no-frills amp, which just does a great clean sound, and puts out a good volume. No need for different voicings, modelling, built-in effects, etc.
Here's a fun video:

"Well reeeer to you too sir...Its the internet. Do you really expect it to be completely serious?" - mcraddict81592
chorus.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Squier Jaguar - you're already a good bit of the way there.

The main thing to nailing Kurt's sound, or getting close to it is.....

A Very clean amp
A good dirt pedal (DS-1 is cheap enough it should be accessable, which is what Kurt used)
Some kind of inexpensive chorus capable of vibrato warble without getting too much into that 80's "green" area of sound

Unfortunatley, the one ultra-expensive piece of gearn one would need to emulate some elements of his sound would be the Electro Harmonix EchoFlanger/PolyChorus pedal. That's needed for Radio Friendly Unit Shifter's noise and that shutter thing on Scentless Apprentice.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Quote by Mad-Mike_J83

Unfortunatley, the one ultra-expensive piece of gearn one would need to emulate some elements of his sound would be the Electro Harmonix EchoFlanger/PolyChorus pedal. That's needed for Radio Friendly Unit Shifter's noise and that shutter thing on Scentless Apprentice.

That's not really an essential part of the sound though, only for a few specific uses.