I'm a singer songwriter into Indie stuff and some neo-psychedelia and I do some recording. I used to think I was above average with production within my friends circle but then I listen to guys like Tame Impala and Grizzly Bear (they self-produce) and wonder how the hell they got their great recording chops. Even Mac Demarco's DIY sound is very palatable and sounds great coming out of the radio. And then I try listening to my stuff through the same speakers and they sound small and thin and too unintentionally lo-fi. My studio consists of an M-Audio Fast Track Pro, free version of Reaper, multi-fx guitar pedal, Mexican Strat, cheap Radioshack mic, and an Audio Technica AT-2035 mic. My recording space is a small apartment so everything is line-in recording.
https://spacecataz.bandcamp.com/album/inquiry-interlude

It seems I have three options:

A) My new plan was to put down some real money, almost $1000, to record a handful of songs with a good producer to make good sounding recordings that would really jump out at listeners through their speakers.

B) Use that kind of money to buy MYSELF some decent recording gear and somehow learn GOOD production skills and record completely DIY.

C) Learn production skills and go into my friend's "studio" (he has a bunch of music gear and cool little space) and get the job done there without having to spend all that money. Although, this would be a temporary solution for my recording career in the long run.

A good plan will help me break into the music scene and start getting some income as an artist. Can anyone give me some advice as to what I should do? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by OnlyTwin at Aug 12, 2016,
Hey - This post on my blog addresses this question exactly, I think.

http://greenroommusicblog.blogspot.ca/2014/07/should-i-record-myself.html

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Aug 14, 2016,
axemanchris
Really helpful article and it refines my options but I have another question. How does one LEARN recording/production?
Haha..... Funny you should ask....

http://greenroommusicblog.blogspot.ca/2012/10/how-to-become-producerengineer.html

Now, that answers the question of how to become a producer/engineer. Obviously, you CAN go to school for it too, but the article addresses that.

Otherwise, most of us just learn bit by bit. You start with simple gear and simple methods. Then you add to your gear and your setup becomes more complex, and thus your methods become more complex. You grow with it.

That, and a lot of "reading the f**ing manual", YouTube videos, etc. I had a subscription to Recording Magazine for a number of years that was very valuable. Essentially, a ton of "independent, self-directed study" and practice.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.