I have my rock and metal needs sorted with my guitars, but I would like to have something affordable (~$500) to use to bang around on for this style. I know to look for a hollowbody but what are some decent options at that price point?

Gretsch (what the Rev plays)? Ibanez Artcore? Epiphone? I am not up to date on hollowbody guitars at all and I am interested in expanding my horizons, so to speak. Thanks for any suggestions.
Last edited by Dinglebuttz at Aug 12, 2016,
i've never actually tried a gretsch ( ) but as far as i'm aware gretsch pickups are quite different from gibson-style humbuckers. In other words you probably need a guitar with that style of pickup in it (filtertron) if that's the exact type of tone you're going for.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You could use just about any appropriate-looking HH guitar and put Filtertron-style pickups in it. I have one guitar with GFS Retrotron Memphis; they are low output, and could be a good inexpensive choice for that kind of sound. They are much brighter than Gibson-style humbuckers.
Reverend makes several guitars with RevTrons- miniHBs based on the Filler'tron design. They're perfect for the job. Here are some on Reverb & eBay.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Reverend+RT&sort=price%7Casc

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Musical-Instruments-Gear/619/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=reverend+rt&_sop=15

As you can see, most are a bit above $500, but it looks like nobody has bid on that orange hard tail Club King on eBay, just $495 right now...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reverend-Club-King-RT-Electric-Guitar-Rock-Orange-/322224223157?hash=item4b060f73b5:g:97cAAOSwtnpXjoM7

And this Tricky Gomez has the Bigsby.
https://reverb.com/item/2733380-reverend-tricky-gomez-2014-satin-gold-metallic
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 12, 2016,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Not sure about US price but the Epiphone for the job if you wanted to look at their stuff is the Emperor Swingster, which basically takes all its cues (including pickups) from the 6120, which is the orange number that bloke is playing. Gretsch also have their Electromatic take on the model, the G5420, though that might be a bit over your budget; I'm not sure.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Expanding on Tony Done's suggestion, if you have a HH guitar you're not using as much, a simple swap will get you the TONE if not the look, and for a lot less. Even a set of premium pickups in that style- like TV Jones Classic or Classic Plus (@$140 ea.)- would be less than the cost of a new axe.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 12, 2016,

Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet runs 400 new 500 with a bigsby. I have one great playing sounding guitar. You can do a pickup swap on one of yoor axes like mentioned before and TV Jones makes a killer set of tele replacement pickups that are voiced like classic De Armond pickups

I know Gretsch made a new streamliner series but those have more regular voiced pickups.

That's making me think bad thoughts,