Page 1 of 3
I've heard very mixed things about BOSS pedals. Some people say stuff like "Metal zone is bad" or the other effects are bad, but then I see people using some of their others. I was thinking of getting a Digital Delay myself because I think it sounds awesome. What are your guys' thoughts on this particular company?
Who needs shred when you've got rhythm guitar? :^)
Guitars:
Jackson King V (With a Wilde L500XL in the bridge)
Ibanez Iron Label RGIX27FEQM (7-string)
Some Boss pedals are bad at what they claim to do. Others are damn good.

However, Boss pedals have certain things going for them:

1) reasonably well built, they rarely fail
2) reasonably priced, so IF they fail, replacements are affordable
3) nearly ubiquitous, so that if you need to replace one, you will probably be able to find one, in any reasonably cosmopolitan area
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'd avoid all modern Boss distortions due to the sterile sound that they produce, although if you like the sound then whatever. Like others have said, build quality is pretty good, and if you dig the delay's sound then I reckon you should go for it
A lot of snobs like to hate on them but Boss pedals have been a big part of hundreds of legendary guitarists' and albums' sounds. Their distortion pedals seem to be hated but you can get some really great classic tones out of the DS-1, HM-2, MT-2, etc with the right amp and quite a number of influential albums were recorded with those pedals. I've always just assumed that gear snobs just don't know how to work most things. The SD-1 is a very popular boost though.

Like Danny said though, they are inexpensive, rugged and reliable, and easily replaceable pretty much anywhere you will realistically go as a musician.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
They're rarely my favourite pedal for the job, or even my favourite pedal for the job for the price, but the fact is that they do actually do the job, usually for relatively cheap.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
I like Boss pedals a lot. I like the MT2 a lot I guess because I really like the Justice album. Boss pedals have great support on the Boss website with presets that sound great to start you off with.

Let me add that I do not have any Waza Craft Boss pedals and don't plan on getting any. I do plan to buy low all the Boss pedals people are going to dump to get the next best thing.
Last edited by mikesr1963 at Aug 13, 2016,
Boss pedals are cool, and like most people have said already some are better than others.

The Metal Zone is terrible, but they have some other decent gain pedals like the DS-2 or SD-1. Their delay and reverb pedals are generally great, and they usually do decent modulation pedals too like chorus or flanger.
I personally stay away from their overdrive and distortion pedals like the plague. But they do pedals like delays very well and very cheaply.

The only thing I've got from them is the TU-3 though. Everything else I've got is from other brands.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I have a DD20 delay which I like a ton, versatile, good tones, good bypass. But I also have a CE20 chorus that isn't so good. I guess the choruses are good, but the bypass is terrible. You can hear warbling that matches your settings when it's off.

I have a Keeley-modded DS-1 that has been on and off my board over the last few years and a Blues Driver that I want to mod eventually. I'd like to get my hands on a SD-1. My local store has a Waza Craft SD-1 but I haven't tried it out yet.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
pretty much what danny and kristen said.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
FWIW, if you looked at my hoard of pedals, alongside all the obscure stuff I own, you'd find a Boss RE-20 Space Echo and RT-20 Rotary.

And while I have other echo/delay/reverb pedals, the RT-20 Stands alone.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Awesome pedals. Great designs. I love the CH1 Chorus.

Metal Zone was awesome. At least the one that first came out in the early 90's.

You'll find a ton of Boss Pedals that are 20+ years old on ebay and other places...and they're still going.
the only boss pedals i would buy would be their older MIJ stuff.

I would love to own a slow gear though.

The only modern boss oedals i would consider are their delays, NS-2, or maybe a tuner.

I am generally not a boss fan.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have a BF-2 flanger, about 35 years old. I loathe the sound of it. Couldn't stand it when it got it, and put away. I dragged it out a couple of months ago, to see if my feelings changed. They Haven't. I hate the sound of it every much as the day I bought it.

I like chorus effects, (these have a touch longer delay), but I never even auditioned another flanger after buying that Boss.(*)

BTW, I reserve the right to hate something I bought and paid for. NO snobbery involved.

(*) I've purposely left the possibility open to the fact I might not like flangers in general, and this isn't the Boss version's fault. Still, I only averaged an evenings play out of it before it killed a battery.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 14, 2016,
If you dislike this, you probably dislike flangers:

Quote by trashedlostfdup

The only modern boss oedals i would consider are their delays, NS-2, or maybe a tuner.

What about the Waza Craft stuff? Like I said, I'm not huge on Boss (though I don't particularly dislike them), but those look neat to me, especially the vibrato.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
If you dislike this, you probably dislike flangers:
Why always with the sick looking pedals I can't afford? First the Triskelion, then the Little Dipper, now this? I don't even want a flanger
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by dannyalcatraz
If you dislike this, you probably dislike flangers:...[ ].....
Oh come on Danny, that's not even a "flanger" per se. I heard flanging, delay, phasing, and Leslie effect, along with a few Moog ripoffs...

Which is not to say I don't like that effect, I do, but that has nothing to do with a Boss BF-2.

That said, I still need 3 more pedals "to complete me" first, then maybe............?

In no particular order:

Electro-Harmonix B9 Organ Machine Guitar Effects Pedal

EHX "Mel9 Tape Delay Machine:

And most of all this, (although I'm not entirely sure even this will help my vocals);
Quote by trashedlostfdup

I think you need to own some sort of Boss pedal just to say that you have or at least had one in the past. It's a rite of passage.

Also, the original Chorus Ensemble from the 70's sounded incredible. Even though it was originally designed for synthesisers and not guitars.

Frighteningly expensive these days to get a functional one though.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 14, 2016,
I have the EHX B9 & C9, with the Key9 and Mel9 on my list. An electronic musician/guitarist I know has the set, and thinks the Mel9 is the best of the bunch.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I have the EHX B9 & C9, with the Key9 and Mel9 on my list. An electronic musician/guitarist I know has the set, and thinks the Mel9 is the best of the bunch.
Yeah, I'm kind of lukewarm about the instrument models in the C9 & Key9. Love the pipe organ in the B9 much mucho though!. The Mel9 has some things which would be lotsa fun with my acoustics, string, chorus, & orchestra. EHX got me hooked with their "Pitchfork", now I'm in heat for more with a bad case of FXAS.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I think you need to own some sort of Boss pedal just to say that you have or at least had one in the past. It's a rite of passage.

Also, the original Chorus Ensemble from the 70's sounded incredible. Even though it was originally designed for synthesisers and not guitars.

The hallmark of those early analog bucket brigade ICs was noise, and lots of it. I know people love their "warmth", but my god, if you're trying to play clean, better have the system gated.

I went through it with a delay unit for home stereo. I couldn't take the noise and returned it.

Peavey is using "analog chorus" as a selling point for their "eCoustic 208" acoustic guitar amp. The amp has only a 40db S/N ratio, and you can't shut the chorus off completely. Putting it into the opposite channel you're using helps, along with zeroing out its controls, but still, annoying.
Boss tend to make very workman like pedals. they get the job done and usually do a good job. often though they tend to be a bit on the vanilla side (great if you like vanilla but not so much if you like something more exotic). at one time Boss was the pedal to have but they have been left behind in many ways. i find that they often aren't as innovative as other pedal makers. of course in some cases if it ain't broke don't fix it (SD-1 and DD-20) . I currently only have a Boss chromatic tuner (non pedal) but it has served me faithfully for about 15 years now. I have owned many of their pedals but in each case I found pedals that I like better from other makers. even back in the 80s I was more of a DOD/Digitech kinda guy
Quote by monwobobbo
even back in the 80s I was more of a DOD/Digitech kinda guy
Yeah, DOD was less expensive than Boss in the bargain. I had one of their PSU which sat turned on in my living room for 20 years. Never did fail, it was stolen!.

I had mostly MXR stuff, but I guess their original pedal line offerings today are way past plain vanilla. The Dyna-Comp rocks (?), but I think they're starting to run out of the original ICs to produce them.

Quote by Will Lane
Boss pedals are not true bypass and EVERYONE knows you have to have true bypass pedals.
Yeah, because it's not really authentic rock if you don't have switching noise when you kick in an effect
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I think you need to own some sort of Boss pedal just to say that you have or at least had one in the past.
Well I certainly wouldn't say that if I hadn't
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Captaincranky

well since Dunlop revived the MXR line they have been making some new and fairly innovative pedals. pretty sure that the Dyna-Comp doesn't use the same chip as it originally did at this point. Whirlwind makes hand made versions of the original MXR designs that may use the original chip though (expensive). I used a lot of MXR stuff when I first started to play as they were considered the shit back then and they were made in my home town. some of MXR's pedals come under the heading of if it ain't broke don't fix it like the Phase 90 for instance.
Quote by monwobobbo
of MXR stuff when I first started to play as they were considered the shit back then and they were made in my home town.
Very, very, true

Quote by monwobobbo
some of MXR's pedals come under the heading of if it ain't broke don't fix it like the Phase 90 for instance.
I still have a Phase 90 from 1978. The foam electronics surround has pretty much turned to a black dust, but it still works fine

One big "problem" with original MXR stuff, was the fact it didn't have power inputs, so you were forced to use a battery. I drilled out the cases, and made wire harnesses up which plugged into the battery connector, then on out to the PSU connectors. That obviously solved the problem, but, (and it's hard to admit), Boss was ahead of MXR with power adapter sockets on the cases.
Quote by monwobobbo
well since Dunlop revived the MXR line they have been making some new and fairly innovative pedals.
Absolutely, I have their Analog Chorus and their Sub Machine, both of which are outstanding in their respective functions. Their Studio/Bass Comp (same pedal) is something I'd absolutely love to own if I had the cash, too.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by monwobobbo
of course in some cases if it ain't broke don't fix it (SD-1 and DD-20).

well the bypass on the sd1 is kind of broke but the actual pedal sounds really good (and you can cure it with another buffered pedal in front, which might explain why boss didn't fix it )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

I haven't tried a waza craft.

I do own an HM2.

I guess for *my" scenario boss really isn't competitive. 10 years ago it was much more competitive, now there are tons of builders that build (IMO) better pedals for a similar price.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I like and use Boss pedals. Like everything...Some are better than others. I buy used gear, Boss is durable and reliable.
Epiphone | Fender | Schecter | Squier | Marshall | Crate | Boss | Yamaha

◆ Solid State and Digital by choice ◆

I think I'm on the wrong planet.

"There are no haunted houses or cursed places, just haunted minds filled with dark spaces."
Quote by monwobobbo
at one time Boss was the pedal to have but they have been left behind in many ways. i find that they often aren't as innovative as other pedal makers. of course in some cases if it ain't broke don't fix it (SD-1 and DD-20) . I have owned many of their pedals but in each case I found pedals that I like better from other makers.

What other manufacturers are there out there that I should take a look at? I've been considering getting a boss digital delay and possibly chorus or ring mod, but I'm not exactly sure anymore because I'm trying to keep an open mind to people's suggestions
Who needs shred when you've got rhythm guitar? :^)
Guitars:
Jackson King V (With a Wilde L500XL in the bridge)
Ibanez Iron Label RGIX27FEQM (7-string)
Depends on what you're looking for. DigiTech, MXR and EHX have some nifty stuff in their current production lines. On the used market, you can find all kinds of things- some of the Line 6 ToneCore and VisualSound V2 series can be good deals.

Etc.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
I haven't tried a waza craft.

I do own an HM2.

I guess for *my" scenario boss really isn't competitive. 10 years ago it was much more competitive, now there are tons of builders that build (IMO) better pedals for a similar price.

I have to agree. Hard to go wrong with the TU-3 (I got one over a Polytune to diversify my board a bit but mainly because I prefer the display),but I don't think I'll get another Boss pedal again. The quality of the buffers in them are very dependent on the specific pedal too; they tend to design the buffers depending on the effect and the original year of the pedals release it seems. The SD-1's is rubbish, the TU-3's is great.

I don't think I could seriously recommend any of their effects pedals over something that TC or MXR can offer though. But on the other hand I think one needs to own some kind of Boss pedal at some point since they're so ubiquitous that one cannot consider themselves a collector of pedals without having owned at least one..
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 15, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
But on the other hand I think one needs to own some kind of Boss pedal at some point since they're so ubiquitous that one cannot consider themselves a collector of pedals without having owned at least one..
So all I have to do is keep this stinking Boss BF-2 in its box, (+1978 is vintage, is it not ?), and I'll be a "pedal collector"? Hm, yesterday I couldn't even spell "pedal collector", now I are one!

As long as I don't have to use it to qualify as a collector, I'm there.
I think someone is deliberately misunderstanding what I said.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
It's kind of like the Alfa Romeo theory of Petrolheads as posited by the former hosts of Top Gear.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 15, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I think someone is >deliberately< misunderstanding what I said.
Does that big word mean, "on purpose"?
Assuming you comprehended what I said, then yes. I never said you had to presently own one. But I think owning one at some point is a rite of passage.

But of course, I understand that you want to maintain your namesake.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Assuming you comprehended what I said, then yes. I never said you had to presently own one. But I think owning one at some point is a rite of passage.

But of course, I understand that you want to maintain your namesake.
I think the fact I haven't donated it to Goodwill Industries, illustrates my sincerity toward being a collector...
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 15, 2016,
Quote by Captaincranky
I think the fact I haven't donated it to Goodwill Industries, illustrates my sincerity toward being a collector...

If you had, you might have changed this guy's life...

Which this guy might have found fucking awesome...

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 15, 2016,
Page 1 of 3