Page 1 of 2
I've been playing guitar for a few years right now I have a ESP viper and a ibanez rgr, I'm looking into getting something that I can play classic rock on mainly but I'd also like to play metal on it. Obviously I've looked into strats and les Pauls also a ESP ltd 1000. Way different guitars and I'm not sure what to get lol
Fill this out:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?
Favorite Artists? - Are there any guitarists whose tone that you'd like to get close to?
Preferences? - What body shapes, neck profiles, brands, and number of frets do you like/want?
Pickups? - Do you want actives, passives, humbuckers, single coils? What configuration are you looking for?

New or Used? - Lots of great guitars out there used, and a guaranteed way to get the most bang for your buck.
Location? - Where are you located? The more detail you can give us, the more we can help you. We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly, because prices and markets fluctuate throughout the world, and we can help further if we know what city you are in to see what used gear is available near you (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc).
Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

We got current gear (a bit, what amp are you using for instance?) and know what styles you're going for, but we really need more to suggest stuff. What is it about the Viper and Ibanez that you don't like that makes you look into something new/different? Also, with those 2 guitars already in your arsenal, how important is versatility? For instance, I'd imagine a Viper and an RGR being good for metal and classic rock already, but you might want to look into getting a telecaster or a stratocaster for an entire different flavour in sound.
I K0nijn I

I'm trying to get closer to pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix etc but I also enjoy guns n roses, Rolling Stones, and sometimes I play heavy metal (Drop C) I'm fine with using my ESP for heavy metal which is what I do now but my ibanez I keep locked in standard and play classic rock. Cons of that is Its a pain to retune to Eb. Not really a huge problem if I have a third guitar I can lock one in standard one in Eb,
It's a good thing I'm not going to suggest a Variax.
The short answer is "anything".

If you want to broaden your available tonal options, consider a Strat or Tele (or something in that general realm such as G&L). They're as versatile as anything and you've got several Strat users on your list there. Of course, they won't sound like a Les Paul any more than a Les Paul will sound like a Strat, but the character of a Les Paul is very similar to what you've already got.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
The short answer is "anything".

If you want to broaden your available tonal options, consider a Strat or Tele (or something in that general realm such as G&L). They're as versatile as anything and you've got several Strat users on your list there. Of course, they won't sound like a Les Paul any more than a Les Paul will sound like a Strat, but the character of a Les Paul is very similar to what you've already got.

Yeah, I know what you're saying...that's why I don't really know what I'm looking for exactly, kind of just taking suggestions
Godin uses their H.D.R. (High Definition Revoicer) system on many guitars in their line- it is essentially like having an active and passive system in one guitar.

Several Fret-Kings and ALL Reverends have controls (Vari-Coil and Bass Contour, respectively) that work kind of like an analog coil-splitter.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
jack of all trade guitars always have trade-offs so I dunno but I'd suggest looking at a Gibson SG style guitar. Clapton played one in Cream, Jimi played them occasionally (Red House live up until early 69), The Stones used them a lot in the late 60s and of course they are metal approved as well.
Stratocaster 100%
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
In the end, it's also about how much you want the tone of those bands you mentioned or if you just want to play their stuff and sound good. I love John Mayer, but I don't get along with Strats. So I just play his stuff on my SG or my Tele. Sounds good, but doesn't sound like a Strat, of course. If you're not after replicating the tones of the bands, I'd look into something different to your RGR and Viper. Then there's tons of options. I'd go to a store and see what you like. You might be really into Telecasters without knowing it, or might love a Strat. I'd go in with an open mind and try everything that seems remotely interesting to you.
Well you have to make some compromises but I'm thinking a Superstrat shape with HSH with a 5-way switch which coil taps the Humbuckers.

Maybe an Ibanez S series if the RG is too "metal".
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 13, 2016,
lots of variation there- most of those ones you listed used strats, but also tele, and les pauls. the easy answer is one of each. never tried a variax but it might be worth a look. an SSS tele with a tele bridge pickup but strat middle and neck singles would likely cover a lot of that ground (or alternatively a strat with a tele-style bridge pickup), but as monwobobbo says they always have trade-offs. but if you're limited to the one guitar they may well be worth it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
...an SSS tele with a tele bridge pickup but strat middle and neck singles would likely cover a lot of that ground (or alternatively a strat with a tele-style bridge pickup), but as monwobobbo says they always have trade-offs. but if you're limited to the one guitar they may well be worth it.

'Dere ya go!
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/eastsider-s/

https://reverb.com/item/2602889-reverend-six-gun-limited-edition-electric-guitar-w-hardshell-case

And then these...
http://fret-king.com/country-squire-semitone-de-luxe-814.html#.V6-vZlc8KrU

http://fret-king.com/black-label/ventura-302.html#.V6-vP1c8KrU

http://godinguitars.com/godinsummitconv_41176.html

http://godinguitars.com/godinpassioncustom_whiskey_39678_39661.html

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 13, 2016,
Aside from the Variax, my favorite "versatile" guitar would be one of the HSH guitars I have lying around. Most have a five-way, coil taps and a "bridge pickup add-in" switch. The five-way and coil taps allow a LOT of choices, and the bridge pickup add-in switch gets you the middle-position "both pickups selected" sound of the Les Paul, etc. I'm not sure how many sound options that gives you, but it's lots.

The three-pickup Gibson (and Epiphone) nighthawks give you a humbucker (slanted), a single coil and a mini-hum to work with, along with a five-way.

The old original Gibson M-III guitars were an aborted effort at climbing aboard the superstrat bandwagon too late, but are honestly very nice guitars (24-fret necks, a five-way that worked like a strat's, but that would be switched to working like a Les Paul (there's a miniswitch on the guitars that pops it into a different mode). Outstanding guitar if you ignore its fit into "genres." Ignore the new reissues (that's usually good advice for other Gibson "reissues" as well, BTW). I think the M-III's were early '90's guitars, and there was also a Les Paul version (also an HSH guitar!) with the same electronics. Hard to find that last, but worth it.

If you can find an Ibanez AR500 from the early '80's, you'll find a guitar that has active/passive pickups (switchable), a three-band EQ and Tri-Sound switches (each pickup can be individually switched through serial/parallel/single coil modes). Outstanding playability in a double cutaway Les Paul-style guitar.

The original 70's L6S gibsons have Gibson's first 24-fret board, a six-way pickup selector that utilizes parallel and out-of-phase modes on gibson's first-ever "hot" pickups, designed by Bill Lawrence, and there's also a fixed-frequency variable amount mids rolloff in addition to the treble rolloff that we all mistakenly call a "tone" knob. The reissues (recent) have the six-way, but sub in single-coil modes for the parallel versions, and ditch the mids rolloff for a bass rolloff. The originals are some guitarists' "Dirty Little Secrets" and some consider them the greatest blues guitar, ever.

If you can find an old Alembic, you'll likely find a LOT of tone choices that escape today's manufacturers, and the old BC Rich guitars are festooned with tone switching.

And, okay, back to the Variax. In addition to the current JTV models, there are two generations of older guitars that don't come with magnetic pickups. The originals, including the 300 and 500 series, and the "mid" models that include the 600 and 700 series. All of these have the same modeling software (I may be ahead of myself with regard to the 300, however) and effectively "model" 24 different guitars, including LPs, teles, strats, 12-strings, acoustics, 335s and jazz boxes, as well as allowing you to set up a huge variety of alternate tunings. If you've ever wanted to play P90's without the noise, this is the guitar for you. Old versions of the Variax are out there for $300 and less (the 700's have a minor cult following, however, and can be expensive) and a minty 500 series for $350 or less is a good choice.
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 14, 2016,
Stratocaster SSS is very versatile.
Epiphone | Fender | Schecter | Squier | Marshall | Crate | Boss | Yamaha

◆ Solid State and Digital by choice ◆

I think I'm on the wrong planet.

"There are no haunted houses or cursed places, just haunted minds filled with dark spaces."
Quote by dannyalcatraz

yeah. i mean, obviously in an idea world you'd rather have one of each, but if I could only have one i may well go down the route of getting something that can (more or less) cover the most useful tones of each guitar type.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Certainly. I was trying to show exemplars of your suggestions, followed by similarly flexible guitars.

Here's a different path to that Tele/Strat hybrid- Lollar's Novel T HB-sized telecaster pickup (for bridge position only). A simple swap in a HSS Stratclone or similar guitar.

http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LGP&Product_Code=10-109-13&Category_Code=telecaster-pickups

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 14, 2016,
Well besides going down the superstrat path here are some other options. A Gibson with a Varitone which is a notch filter circuit that can make for a surprisingly versatile guitar. Or get a guitar that has sort of an in between sound like a Gretsch or a Fender with wide range humbuckers like the72 reissue thinline or Starcaster. You can eq to get closer to the sound you want
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Certainly. I was trying to show exemplars of your suggestions, followed by similarly flexible guitars.

oh yeah absolutely. i was more clarifying my original post that really replying to yours. in hindsight i'm not quite sure why i quoted your post

that's an interesting lollar pickup, too. aren't there some tele-style pickups in strat-size packaging? that might be another handy way to do it (though i haven't tried them, I dunno how close they are).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've seen a couple of those StratTele singlecoils- haven't tried any yet. The ones at Vintage Vibe actually have Tele-style covers.

oh right the neck one you mean? i was meaning more the bridge pickup since that's the tele pickups most people like best (and also the strat one people often like least) i only skimmed the pickups i assume you're talking about, but it looks like they're aimed at strat tones? Could be wrong, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The covered VV Tele ones? Maybe? One happy customer described them as making his Tele sound like Steve Cropper.

Might be just the thing to partner with that Lollar Novel T in an HSS guitar you want to "telecize".

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 16, 2016,
Burn me at the stake for mentioning this forbidden name on this website, but Chapman has many versatile guitars with various styles. The ML-1 comes to mind when I think of versatility.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
The covered VV Tele ones? Maybe? One happy customer described them as making his Tele sound like Steve Cropper.

Might be just the thing to partner with that Lollar Novel T in an HSS guitar you want to "telecize".

these ones: http://www.vintagevibeguitars.com/windows/sc_strat_teleNeckWin.html
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah- that's where the Cropper quote came from.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 17, 2016,
Thanks for all the replys guys, I'm gonna look into a few Strats and teles, also I saw someone talk about s Gibson SG I will try these out.
^ yeah sgs are nice. sound very different from a strat or tele, but they would do what you wanted in the opening post very well i think. for the more specific stuff you mentioned later you're probably talking early clapton and guns n roses.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Yeah- that's where the Cropper quote came from.

ah ok. i guess i skimmed it a bit quickly
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 18, 2016,
Quote by Deadlin3
I've been playing guitar for a few years right now I have a ESP viper and a ibanez rgr, I'm looking into getting something that I can play classic rock on mainly but I'd also like to play metal on it. Obviously I've looked into strats and les Pauls also a ESP ltd 1000. Way different guitars and I'm not sure what to get lol

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/electric/t5
Most guitars will be fine for all genres. I'd avoid active pickups and single pickup guitars though.
If you can find an Ibanez AR500 from the early '80's, you'll find a guitar that has active/passive pickups (switchable), a three-band EQ and Tri-Sound switches (each pickup can be individually switched through serial/parallel/single coil modes). Outstanding playability in a double cutaway Les Paul-style guitar.

THIS and it weighs less than a LP Standard
An Epiohone Les Paul Standard or Custom should get the job done in my opinion. I own a Custom and have owned a Standard. I find them to be quite versatile and that classic overdriven rock sound we all know an love was highly likely produced by a Gibson Les Paul. Arguably, an Epiphone is just as good in a blind tone test.
1984 Yamaha SG1000X
2006 Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty 3
2011 Fender Mustang IV
2011 Gretsch G5120 Electromatic
2014 Fender Mustang I (V.2)
2016 Gibson Custom Shop Standard Historic 1957 Les Paul Goldtop Reissue VOS
I recently pulled the trigger on a PRS SE Custom 24, and I've used it for anything from jazz to blues to metal to progressive to thrash. It's my opinion that you cannot find a better guitar to compete with it - assuming the build quality is as good as mine on the rest - at the sub $800 price range. If that's too pricey for you, Chapman is a good one to look at. For around $600, you can get a guitar that'll do whatever you want it to as well with a pickup swap. But after having and playing it for a while, I can't recommended the PRS SE highly enough. The pickups are good out of the box, and the guitar plays beautifully.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Quote by Lelvolution
Most guitars will be fine for all genres. I'd avoid active pickups and single pickup guitars though.

I'm going to agree with Lelvolution here for the most part, avoid active pick-ups. As for single coils, I'm actually going to recommend single coils, they are very versatile and with a boost pedal, something like the Fulltone Fatboost, you can really take them into any arena you want and get a massive sound. In my experience it's always much more difficult to make a Humbucker sound like a true single-coil, (even with coil tap), but making a single coil emulate a humbucker is a little easier. That's just my experience and not a hard and fast rule and I'm sure some would disagree. But since you're looking for versatility, something like a strat, S/S/S config, or even something H/S/S config would be a truly versatile axe.

But I agree with avoiding many single coils, such as fender's Fat 50's pups, these are just noisy. If you do go the single coil route make sure they're noiseless and vintage style voicing will give you the most tonal versatility. Then again, Eric Johnson would slap me in the face for saying that pick-up noise is a bad thing so, take that recommendation with a bucket of salt.

As for the guitar, really it's all in your fingers. There's an awesome interview with Nuno Bettencourt where he talks about finally meeting one of his idols, Eddie Van Halen, and being able to play through Eddie's whole rig; and he thought finally he would actually sound like Eddie. He then mentions how he played it and it sounded like Nuno Bettencourt, exactly, and that's when it really sunk in for him that the majority source of your tone, is you. So when it comes to versatility, it's going to be mostly your playing style that dictates how versatile you are going to be much more than the gear you choose.

Rock on!
-Signature Stratocaster 'Super Galaxy'
-2015 Ibanez RG655 Prestige
-1990 Jackson Fusion Pro (MIJ), Customized w/ JB, Vintage Rails & Little '59. Kill-switch mod replacing the mid-sweep.

Orange OR15
Orange PPC2x12
Effects: Vox Satchurator, Fullton Fatboost FB3, Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah, Boss Waza Craft DM-2w Delay, Boss Super Chorus CH-1, Boss GE-7 Equalizer
As for the guitar, really it's all in your fingers.

Pick attack is in your fingers.
Chord choice is in your fingers,
Phrasing is in your fingers,
Legato technique is in your fingers.

Overall tone? Gear.

You put Mark Knopfler on Ihsahn's rig and tell him to start playing "Sultans of Swing" without touching the settings, it will not sound like the original. It will sound like Ihsahn's been working in his MK impression.

Page 1 of 2