Page 2 of 2
Quote by Dave_Mc
never tried a variax but it might be worth a look

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssssss!

Then we can all wear oversize hoodies and form a band!!!

You better get into makeup, we go on in a half hour...
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 22, 2016,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by JS_StarOcean
I'm going to agree with Lelvolution here for the most part, avoid active pick-ups. As for single coils, I'm actually going to recommend single coils, they are very versatile and with a boost pedal, something like the Fulltone Fatboost, you can really take them into any arena you want and get a massive sound. In my experience it's always much more difficult to make a Humbucker sound like a true single-coil, (even with coil tap), but making a single coil emulate a humbucker is a little easier. That's just my experience and not a hard and fast rule and I'm sure some would disagree. But since you're looking for versatility, something like a strat, S/S/S config, or even something H/S/S config would be a truly versatile axe.

But I agree with avoiding many single coils, such as fender's Fat 50's pups, these are just noisy. If you do go the single coil route make sure they're noiseless and vintage style voicing will give you the most tonal versatility. Then again, Eric Johnson would slap me in the face for saying that pick-up noise is a bad thing so, take that recommendation with a bucket of salt.

As for the guitar, really it's all in your fingers. There's an awesome interview with Nuno Bettencourt where he talks about finally meeting one of his idols, Eddie Van Halen, and being able to play through Eddie's whole rig; and he thought finally he would actually sound like Eddie. He then mentions how he played it and it sounded like Nuno Bettencourt, exactly, and that's when it really sunk in for him that the majority source of your tone, is you. So when it comes to versatility, it's going to be mostly your playing style that dictates how versatile you are going to be much more than the gear you choose.

Rock on!

By single pickup I meant guitars with only one pickup (usually bridge), not single coil pickups.
Quote by Lelvolution
By single pickup I meant guitars with only one pickup (usually bridge), not single coil pickups.

Oh, well in that case, I simply agree then! Yeah not much a B.C. Rich Gunslinger is going to do for versatility although that slant humbucker is gonna look bad ass.
-Signature Stratocaster 'Super Galaxy'
-2015 Ibanez RG655 Prestige
-1990 Jackson Fusion Pro (MIJ), Customized w/ JB, Vintage Rails & Little '59. Kill-switch mod replacing the mid-sweep.

Orange OR15
Orange PPC2x12
Effects: Vox Satchurator, Fullton Fatboost FB3, Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah, Boss Waza Craft DM-2w Delay, Boss Super Chorus CH-1, Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by dspellman
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssssss!

Then we can all wear oversize hoodies and form a band!!!

You better get into makeup, we go on in a half hour...

hahahaha
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just get a PRS. Ive never played one that wasn't perfect. And the Korean ones are phenomenal. They usually have custom pickups and they rock in every genre. Metal, classic rock, slap, anything ive ever played on one makes me want to splurge.
Gibson LP or SG with coil taps will do the trick.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by borshporsche
Just get a PRS. Ive never played one that wasn't perfect. And the Korean ones are phenomenal. They usually have custom pickups and they rock in every genre. Metal, classic rock, slap, anything ive ever played on one makes me want to splurge.

+1 for PRS. You definitely won't regret it. Sounds (and feels) amazing for metal, rock, and blues. I personally like the Custom 24.
Maybe i'm biased because I own one, but i'll suggest Sterling/MusicMan.
My JP100D is great for pretty much anything, it's light and comfortable, it doesn't look "brutal" but rather classy and sleek. But pretty much anything they make will work, they're like PRS in that way, that they have the performance and looks wise to work in pretty much every genre.
Guitars
Sterling by MusicMan JP100D
Ibanez STM1
Epiphone 1967 Flying V (Ltd Edition)
Schecter Omen-8 (2012)
Amps
Randall Diavlo/RD100
Harley Benton 2x12 (V30s)
Marshall JCM2000/DSL401
Links
Soundcloud
Facebook
YouTube 1
YouTube 2
Well to be honest, if budget is a question, Ibanez GIO's are great. But then again so are some of the LTD guitars you can get for cheap, both come with passive pickups which can do metal very easily if you know your way around the instrument. Sorry that I'm so late to the party haha
Sir Bollocksworth
Personally I'm really happy with my Strat loaded with emg dg-20's. They're active single coils. Great for Pink Floyd and just very versatile from twangy to beefy.
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Quote by pawnluv
Personally I'm really happy with my Strat loaded with emg dg-20's. They're active single coils. Great for Pink Floyd and just very versatile from twangy to beefy.

This exists for a reason:
http://fernandesguitars.com/retrorocket/retrorocket-deluxe.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Most guitars can be set up to work well for a wide variety of genres, in all honesty.

For what you're looking to do, It'd be hard to go wrong w/a Les Paul, SG, or PRS type guitar with PAF or overwound PAF type pickups. I bought my SG for what you say you're after, and it delivers in spades for anything from vintage cleans up to early metal/hard rock.

An H/S/S strat would also be an excellent choice.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Today, I'd say almost anything goes given the technology and gear available to us now. I use a the Jag-Stang in my signature as my primary guitar for dang near everything from metal to free-form-jazz and all points in between.

I think a good middle ground most people can agree on is a good HSS pickup configuration strat of some sort with a coil split, I own a few of those, a good "forget about the guitar just play and enjoy it" instrument if there ever was one, regardless of price point. A good strat is like a good IBM compatible PC - if you dont' like something, it's not too hard to have it re-tailored and upgraded/downgraded to your taste with not too much trouble.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
PRS guitars are usually quite versatile. Not cheap though, save for the SE models.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Chiming in late on here...

I was faced with similar dilemma a few years ago and I picked up a Music Man Steve Morse Blueburst. Granted, now it is about almost 70% up in price from the time I bought it so I don't know what to say...It can cover all styles though. At the time I bought it for $1300 it was on par with pretty much everything in that price range but had 2 pickups more and a great switching system that allowed you 12 different tones
Try a Strat with Hot rails in the bridge position because you already have two guitars with Humbuckers. You can still get a decent metal tone with Hot Rails but with the combination of the other strat PUps its a versitile mix that will allow you to get classic rock tones as well. Worth a shot.
pronounced: yawg-jen-high-min
Page 2 of 2