hi, guys
if you were going to buy a (ibanez ts9 or maxon od808) today, would you still choose these tubescreamers or buy a ts9/od808 clone?
if you do rate the new clone models, which are the top choices?

thanks again for your time guys,
bluesfloyd,
they are basically the same thing so I'd probably go with the cheaper one. both are good pedals. the Maxon I believe is made in Japan still and may have slightly better parts but sound wise not really different.

as for clones well yeah I'd be more inclined to go this route as often they have better options (and I have). if you can find a used (no longer in production) Digitech Hardwire CM-2 that is an excellent option and features separate treble and bass controls as well as a switch for more gain. I use one myself and love it. Way Huge Green Rhino is a great pedal as well. there are a ton of TS style pedals out there so you might want to do some homework.

for the record I also use a Eno Music od-9 (practice and throw in case mini pedal) and a T-Rex Crunchy Frog (no longer in production but awesome pedal with built in clean boost).
From the two you listed whichever is cheaper.

In the world of Screamers, the answer is I suggest something with more than one knob (hell, even all the knobs if you can). That way in case you don't like cutting bass just to boost treble or you want to dial your mids to your liking.

Examples: Hardwire CM-2 (better than the bad monkey), Way Huge Green Rhino 202 (not on my board but sill have it, loved it) or the new smaller version, Seymour Duncan 805 (currently on, doing great with it), Wampler Clarksdale (a reach since it's $200 but might be the most tweakable screamer on the market).

Edit: So basically what Monwobobbo said haha
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Aug 13, 2016,
I like my Budda Zenman. TS type pedal with 2 voicings and a clean boost in 1 chassis.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
fwiw the od808 isn't a ts9 or ts808 clone, it's a ts10 clone (scroll down about two-thirds of the way in this link: http://www.analogman.com/tshist.htm ). it also was half-assed bypass there for a while, and it may well still be. EDIT: also according to that link it's not made that well. I'd likely get an od9 instead if i were going the maxon route. but there are tons of cheaper TS clones available as well, as people in the thread have been saying.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 13, 2016,
I'd definitely look at a Tube Screamer clone with more flexibility. The Way Huge Green Rhino is around the same price as a common-or-garden TS9 and I have a fair bit of faith in the brand. Plenty of others do similar things. Alternatively, from what I've heard the Ibanez Mini Tube Screamer - which is substantially cheaper than the reissue models - does a great job of nailing the sound.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by Tony Done
I'm no expert on TS-type pedals, but how about a Digitech Bad Monkey if you can find one before they become collectable? I like mine.

The BM is a good pedal for the price, but the bypass on it is pretty awful compared to other TS pedals and their clones.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 13, 2016,
T00DEEPBLUE

Yeah, I've read that before. I'm tempted to try comparing mine through my passive bypass box as compared with just switching it off. More fun than mowing the lawn.

OK, I just tried it. Assorted guitars and pickups through my bright H&K amp, including a very bright and "crystalline" prewar Rick horseshoe, no other FX of any kind. I flicked between the BM switched off and true bypass using my passive box. I could hear a very small difference with some pickups, not including the horseshoe. I couldn't hear any change in tone when I strummed a chord and flicked the bypass on and off while it was still ringing. I like clean acoustic-like tones, and the amount of loss wouldn't bother me - but one could always build a simple bypass box if it was a problem. The cost saving on the BM would cover it.
Last edited by Tony Done at Aug 13, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The BM is a good pedal for the price, but the bypass on it is pretty awful compared to other TS pedals and their clones.

So this. . . . At least my Bad Monkey didn't agree with the rest of my setup. . . Huge tone suck when it was off.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
my bad monkey was a tonesucker when I had it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I stopped using the Bad Monkey because it is a tone sucker too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Tony Done
We are talking about when it is in bypass? I really couldn't hear much effect. until I engaged it. - Switching between true bypass and the stompbox's bypass.

Mine sucked tone in bypass. engaged it was tolerable.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
When it's off it sucks out all the top end.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Weird, maybe the design changed at some point. I guess mine is about 7 years old. I'll just re-iterate that I did a tough test. - Bright amp (H&K St Dual EL84), assorted bright pickups and flicking between true bypass and the BM in bypass mode, using a passive bypass switch box.
Last edited by Tony Done at Aug 14, 2016,
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'd definitely look at a Tube Screamer clone with more flexibility. The Way Huge Green Rhino is around the same price as a common-or-garden TS9 and I have a fair bit of faith in the brand. Plenty of others do similar things. Alternatively, from what I've heard the Ibanez Mini Tube Screamer - which is substantially cheaper than the reissue models - does a great job of nailing the sound.

yeah either something with more flexibility, or else something with the same flexibility for a lot less cash

and yeah i haven't tried the ts mini but i've heard good things. if i needed a ts type now i may well go that route.

my bad monkey is back in its box- i don't remember it being one of the really egregious tonesuckers, but at the same time I wouldn't put it anywhere near the "good buffer" camp either. I took mine out of my chain because it's a little muffled-sounding when engaged- nothing major, but I have other pedals which do the same tone and which sound slightly better, so
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah either something with more flexibility, or else something with the same flexibility for a lot less cash
Yeah, I'm honestly quite tempted to sell my 808 for a Green Rhino cause I reckon I might still make a net profit from that and get the extra controls. Trouble is it's a bit grimy and missing some rubber from the bottom (artfully replaced with draft excluder to stop it rocking ) so I'm not sure what sort of money I could get for it compared to the normal going rate.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
lol
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I personally kicked my bad monkey because it doesn't have as much kick as other TS's. I knicked it for the CM2, even it's classic mode gave more noticeable gain than the BM when I had them.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Aug 14, 2016,
Maidenheadsteve

yeah, I'm only interested if failry subtle OD. I like the BM because of its smoothness, no chainsaw until you get into fairly high gain.

The Boss BD-2 is a good choice if you don't want mid-hump, and its evenness of tone also makes it a decent booster pedal. I have one, it is a bit too gritty for me as an OD pedal though.
^ yeah- and the digitech screamin' blues is a glorified bd2 with a bass control for a lot less cash. I haven't tried the two head to head but it's handy having bass cut capability if you're using the thing as a boost (unless the pedal's like a tubescreamer or sd1 where it already has bass cut built in with the stock component values).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There's always the tubescreamer mini. Cheap and electrically the same as the big ones.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you are going to spend the money I might suggest the Tribute Audio Designs Classy Lady http://www.tributeaudiodesigns.com/shop/the-classy-lady/ its a TS pedal, handmade in Canada for the same price as the maxon or the Ibanez, has the standard features plus a bass boost switch and a clipping select which essentially gives you a bit more gain and volume on tap. I upgraded to one a couple months ago and am really enjoying it, the mods to the circuit also help to keep the clarity, which is what drew me to the pedal as I find TS type pedals can get a bit muddy when doing chords or rhythm parts