Hi All..

So I own a 92 squire Strat(did the search on year) I sanded down the body and repainted it(400 grit) I didn't go ALL the way down, just through the finish. My question is, what type of wood is the body of these strats? Its NOT a Affinity model. Attached are pics, Thanks!!

Squire Bullet Tele
Vintage LemonDrop
Marshall DSL40c w/V30
MXR 10-band EQ
BOSS Enhancer Eh-2
Nevermind just took the neck off an saw the layers of wood
Squire Bullet Tele
Vintage LemonDrop
Marshall DSL40c w/V30
MXR 10-band EQ
BOSS Enhancer Eh-2
Yeah, most Korean-made Squiers are plywood. I have a '95 Korean-made Squier II that's ply. The necks are great though.

Other countries of manufacture/other decades used various woods for their bodies. I also have a '05 Indonesian-made Squier Affinity that's made of alder. I temporarily had a '97 Mexican-made Squier that was ash (and even had a full-thickness body like a Fender). That was a damn fine guitar. I miss it.
Thanks for replying! I'm looking for a basswood body, guitarcwnters website has a nice used stratocaster(squire) bullet body, it matches what the squire site has to sell, I'm gonna give em a call and see if I can get the serial number an where it was located and hopefully break it down to what type of wood it is. Is there a better chance all bullet, especially new strats are basswood? ?
Squire Bullet Tele
Vintage LemonDrop
Marshall DSL40c w/V30
MXR 10-band EQ
BOSS Enhancer Eh-2
FYI Korean made Squier are not all made of plywood bodies, Gold or Silver colored script 'Squier' Korean made Squier are solid wood, the black color script 'Squier' are plywood body.. my VN serial has solid body, the 97' Protone are made with Ash body. The neck on Korean made Squier are very good and nice playing necks.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Quote by psp742
FYI Korean made Squier are not all made of plywood bodies, Gold or Silver colored script 'Squier' Korean made Squier are solid wood, the black color script 'Squier' are plywood body.. my VN serial has solid body, the 97' Protone are made with Ash body. The neck on Korean made Squier are very good and nice playing necks.

True (why I said most). But my Squier II has a silver script and is definitely plywood... IIRC just the gold-logo ones are solid wood.

The tuners on that neck are Kluson Deluxe vintage-style. The original tuners were absolute garbage.

Anyway, I found this. Very last post.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/1997-korean-made-squier-strat.679101/page-3
Last edited by Invader Jim at Aug 24, 2016,
VirgoLife87 i think you are putting too much emphasis on tone woods. i think my only major wood preference is to not have ply.

as far as the difference between basswood and alder, there are many larger variables to the amplified tone than the wood it is made of.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'm not sure if I can mention different forum.. Squier-talk.com has a post regarding Squier made in Japan, Korea, and other Asian countries.. note USA and Mexico made some Squier too but quality isn't comparable to Japan made, maybe equal or step lower than some Korean made, during the earlier days.. some of the lawsuit copies were far superior to US made instruments.. so Fender went to Japan and had business relationship with Fuji-gen. There is more information regarding solid body or plywood body.. I personally don't mind if it's plywood or not, the neck is what people are after, some plywood bodies have more resonance than solid because more uniform.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
I have a Korean Squier, VN214436 is my serial, about the same age as yours, probably a little older. I've had it since 1996, my favorite guitar. Inside the tremolo cavity it looks like plywood, but the thing has great pickups and a neck I love, best sounding guitar I have and plays great. It's one I'll never let go...Also the one pictured in my avatar.

I have another plywood body guitar, no name telecaster copy, doesn't sound or play nearly as good. But for $4 at a yard sale, what the hey...

I don't pay a lot of attention to the wood, I want a slim neck, preferably maple, good pickups, and has to sound good unplugged before I'll even think about buying it. The plywood tele was an exception, didn't have strings so I took a chance, but it was really cheap and works fine for slide. Between the mahogany body Peavey Patriot and other alder body guitars, the only real difference I noted was the Patriot is freakin heavy...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
I get why people would instantly shun a plywood guitar (and I used to be in that crowd) seeing as how it isn't "real" wood and whatever other reasoning you can think up, but at this point I've just stopped caring about stuff like that. To me, if it sounds good then it is good. Nobody else, not even other guitar players, are gonna know that it is plywood anyway when they hear it. FWIW, I've read that plywood actually sounds similar to basswood. I don't have any basswood guitars to test this theory, though. My only problem with plywood is that I really don't like it for a Strat.
Plywood.
Epiphone | Fender | Schecter | Squier | Marshall | Crate | Boss | Yamaha

◆ Solid State and Digital by choice ◆

I think I'm on the wrong planet.

"There are no haunted houses or cursed places, just haunted minds filled with dark spaces."
Its a GREAT well built guitar, the body is solid on mine, I own really Mahogany and a basswood. Your right when I hear of plywood I think of cheap quality when its built to a guitar, but like I said, its solid, its got some weight, hell it almost could pass for a fender if the neck was different!. It is for sale lol
Squire Bullet Tele
Vintage LemonDrop
Marshall DSL40c w/V30
MXR 10-band EQ
BOSS Enhancer Eh-2
Hope this adds to the knowlege.
I own a Korean Squier Gold logo Stratocaster (black with rosewood fingerboard).
S/N starts CN5 so it's a Cort, Nineties made 95-96 guitar which I understand are mainly solid body models.
For interest, I have just checked under the trem cover and scraped a little paint from inside the trem cavity. (It's Black BTW)
It is definitely a SOLID BODY model and not plywood.
I also have another Korean Squier Gold logo CN5 Stratocaster, so hope to check that out in a day or so.
As far as I have read, all Gold Logo CN5 stratocasters are solid bodied - Any views?
Have also read that they are made from Alder.
Any further info welcome.