Hello I'm a complete beginner, I have no idea about electric guitars and I want to get a cheap one to start learning, can you help?
Quote by Radioheader377
Hello I'm a complete beginner, I have no idea about electric guitars and I want to get a cheap one to start learning, can you help?

There's a few things to consider when purchasing your first instrument, you could either buy a low end entry level guitar or buy a better quality used instrument. If you go for the first and your interest wavers you risk very little financially but the resale value on entry level guitars is non existent and if you do stick with playing you'll inevitably be unsatisfied and upgrade anyway costing you more in the long run. If you go for the second option and your interest wavers you're more likely to recoup your money through resale and if you do stick with guitar you won't need to upgrade for at least a year or two. Not only that but a better quality instrument plays and feels better meaning your more likely to want to continue playing, so if it was me; knowing what I know now I'd definitely go for a higher quality second hand instrument.
As for the type of guitar it's important to ask yourself what kind of music do you listen to? What kind of music do you want to play initially? What's your budget (including amp)?
If you can answer those questions we'll be more likely to recommend a guitar that will suit your needs.
You also stated that you are a complete beginner, if that is the case I'd probably recommend buying an acoustic guitar first. The first few months of learning tend to be geared around playing open chords and developing rhythm and you'll most probably lack the control to stop an electric sounding messy. You can pick up second hand acoustics for pennies but I'd advise taking a friend with you who already plays to test the action on it before purchase.
you can get a fairly good "new" Fender copy strat or tele or Gibson copy les paul for about $300..have it set up for approx. $50 or less..a good practice amp..fender champ.or other brands in the price range of 60-100..so for under 500 you can have a very good deal on some fairly good quality equipment..or shop used in the same price range..

I would try to get the best quality new equipment at the lowest price..you can make minor adjustments on it if you need at low cost..used equipment can be a dice toss..visit a guitar center and just ask to see guitars-amps in your price range..you may be surprised at the selection you get...

Point: the better quality equipment you get when you start will make it much easier to learn..as the difficulty in the beginning learning process is going to be fairly slow..better equipment will help you with getting fairly good sound with ease of play..which will help a lot in giving you motivation to continue playing
play well

wolf
What I did with guitar is; I first rented an Epiphone SG for a monthly fee from my local music shop, and it's a cheap guitar itself so the rental fee wasn't much. Once I took a few lessons and self taught for a while, I decided it was time for me to buy myself a more entry level to medium guitar for the style of music I play (Refer to the guys above for this). I bought a Jackson from their JS32 line, a King V, but that's just my style. This ended up being a good choice for me, and now I'm beginning to upgrade my guitar as I get better and know that guitar is a strong passion of mine. It's all about what you want to do.

If you know you're going to do guitar long-term, buy a cheap one now, but if you just want to try and see where it'll go, rent one. That's kinda what I did.
Who needs shred when you've got rhythm guitar? :^)
Guitars:
Jackson King V (With a Wilde L500XL in the bridge)
Ibanez Iron Label RGIX27FEQM (7-string)
I remember how I chose my first electric guitar (back in 1969 after playing acoustic for 4 years). It was RED. Yeah, that's the one I want...

These days there's just too much damn choice...

Personally, I'd recommend either a Strat copy or a Les Paul copy. Cheap Strat copies are near enough as good as the "real thing" (whatever that is these days), as least as far as any beginner would notice. I have less experience of Les Pauls (and copies thereof) but I suspect it's similar.

Those two are the two basic kinds of electric (if you don't count hollow-body jazz guitars) - by far the two most popular designs throughout the 60-year history of rock music. Strats and Les Pauls are both solid body. The essential difference is the pickups, and this is where the style of music you prefer might come into it. Strats have single-coils, which suits a more bluesy, rock'n'roll sound. LPs have humbuckers, which are more powerful, and suit more heavy rock styles. (Both, however, will distort nicely given enough gain.) Just look at your favourite players, and see what guitars they generally prefer.

Then it's about budget. It's a good idea to get the best you can afford. Going as cheap as possible is a false economy - the guitar may be badly made, or badly set-up, or sound bad (or look bad), and you just won't enjoy playing it much. Plus - if you decide you want to give up in the end - its resale value will be even less than you paid for it. Buy a good guitar and (a) you will love it more, so are less likely to want to give up, and (b) if you ever do want to stop, it will hold its value better. (It may even increase in value as a collector's item...)

If you can rent, of course, that's a great option, because you can then try out some different models in turn.

Remember you will need an amp too! (or an FX unit with headphone outs.) That's a whole other decision...
Well what's "cheap"?

You can always get like a Squire strat, which comes in a box with a tiny amp and guitar bag for like $150.

But if you want a guitar that stays in tune long enough to enjoy playing, you might look into spending closer to $300 between guitar and amp. Maybe a used Fender or Epiphone, or a new Yamaha beginner model. And a $100 amp will actually sound like a guitar is supposed to sound.
Radioheader377 Play several different kinds of guitars before you buy. See what is comfortable in your hands. A run-of-the-mill guitar that doesn't fight you is a good sea mile better than a high-end guitar that does. I'd try Strats, Teles, Les Pauls, and SGs at a minimum, depending on what kind of music you want to play. Different neck profiles have different playing characteristics. Don't be afraid to experiment, and don't be afraid to go off the beaten path. I have a neck-through-body Mighty Mite Strat from about 1978 that I'm pretty sure has a market value of "firewood," but is a fantastic player.