I hope I explained it properly. but yeah say your playing a triplet run 7-9-10-7-9-10-...etc. are you supposed to leave your index on the 7th fret while picking the 9th and so on? because I don't, I just naturally pop off all the fingers except for the single one being fretted. But I remember hearing that it's more efficient to leave them on and now it's bugging me because I'm playing so much I don't want to be playing wrong. Thank you my friends!
aaxrxn

It depends what you're doing, and on finger stamina, and on string gauge, and action.

Mechanically, if you only keep one finger down as you're playing a scale, then, done right, you have less motion to perform changing strings. For example,

e: -----------------10 . . . . . .
b: 10--12--13

If you keep your first finger down on the 10th fret (b string) while playing the rest, you have less time to prepare the move across to the 10th fret on the e string. One finger at a time means you can already be positioning the first finger over the e string while you are still playing the b string.

But this really only makes a difference when playing fast. When repeating a pattern on the same string, less important, although for consistency, may be better to stick to the same one approach.

I mostly play solo stuff with one finger on string at a time. But if I'm applying bend or vibrato, I will bring in supporting fingers. When I pull off a string, I mostly do this by relaxing the finger off, rather than thinking "must pull with force" ... this reduces tension.
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Aug 16, 2016,
The absolute correct technique would be to keep your finger on the string but release the pressure (and thus tension), so that it is only lightly touching the string (as if you are muting the string). There is little point in applying pressure to a finger that doesn't need it. If you can practice this until its second nature then playing will require a lot less effort.
Last edited by gweddle.nz at Aug 14, 2016,