Hey guys,
I have problem with my Pickups. I swapped out my EMG 81/85 set for an EMG 57/66 set. When I was done, I had a terrible fret buzz, even though the setup remained exactly the same. Before the I changed the PU's I had absolutely NO fret buzz. The new 57 and the 66 have big Pole Pieces on top. I heard it could change the way the string vibrates (which causes the fret buzz), and that I should adjust the Pickup height. But how do I do this? Is it the more distance between the Pickup and the Strings = less fret buzz, or do I have to find some kind of sweetspot?
Well, you have to supposed those big ass magnets in the EMGs are somewhat pulling the strings toward them. On a side note, having the pickups too close to the strings also lessens the sustain, as the magnetic field attracts the strings and slows them in the process. (or "damps their movement" if you prefer).

What I would try is, first adjust the pole pieces to get equal output between all the strings. (In other words, all strings should produce the same volume from the amp.

Then, you're going to try dropping the whole pickup until the fret buzz goes away. (Plan "B" is raising the action, and I don't think you want to try that, at least not first).

Start by lowering the neck pickup, as that one has the easiest task at pulling the strings down to it. Push down on any string, first at the neck pickup, then at the bridge, you'll see what I mean.
I have a Floyd Rose Trem. I noodled around with all the settings for a while now and it's a lot better now. But its still buzzing too much for my taste... The Pole Pieces can't be lowered seperately, they're flat (so I think it's not intended that you screw them in and out). But when lowering the whole Pickup to reduce the fret buzz, should the distance between the high E String to the PU and the low E String to the PU be the same? Because The fret buzz is only on the lower 3 strings.
Quote by Sauerkraut1337
I have a Floyd Rose Trem. I noodled around with all the settings for a while now and it's a lot better now. But its still buzzing too much for my taste... The Pole Pieces can't be lowered seperately, they're flat (so I think it's not intended that you screw them in and out). But when lowering the whole Pickup to reduce the fret buzz, should the distance between the high E String to the PU and the low E String to the PU be the same? Because The fret buzz is only on the lower 3 strings.
If you did change the strings, new strings will buzz for a couple of days sometimes. That's because they require a bit less tension to bring them up to full pitch than they would after being on and played for a few days. You know, how new strings tend to sag in pitch for a while, then they seem to stay in tune forever.

The pickups will effect the strings in some ways, (many people claim loss of sustain with the pickups too high), but string gauge, action height, and string age, all have to be taken into consideration first.

There's an easy way to straighten this out in your mind. Just crank the pickups down a good ways, and see what happens. Count the turns you make with the screwdriver, and set them back up if it doesn't help.
I already set them so low that it would've sounded like sh*t But I noticed my Neck seems to be really really straight by now - but the frets aren't (I checked with a really straight ruler). So I'll give the neck a little relief now, hope that helps.
Quote by Sauerkraut1337
I already set them so low that it would've sounded like sh*t But I noticed my Neck seems to be really really straight by now - but the frets aren't (I checked with a really straight ruler). So I'll give the neck a little relief now, hope that helps.
Well,I don't know where you are, but we've been having ideal weather for changing neck geometry. (95+ 65% RH) So yeah, summer will do that, force you to make minor adjustments.
Cranky usually knows what he's talking about, I don't disagree with him often and won't now either.

Pickups too close to the strings will change the way the strings act, and especially will cause loss of sustain. My Peavey Patriot has really hot single coils, I Have to set them really low or they make noise just from my hand hitting them.

If you have magnetic pickups too close to the strings, I've never seen them buzz, but if that's the case, they are definitely too close.

Try as cranky said, set them lower and gradually bring them up paying attention to sound and sustain. That's the best way to find out if you have pickups causing buzz or frets. If your neck is really straight, you might have to reset neck relief. He's right in that respect too, weather and moisture conditions this time of year can cause changes by making wood warp a little.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...