Hey guys,
I bought Rocksmith 2014 a few months ago but barely used it.
Today I decided to give it another shot and tried to do some of the lessons, although I've already practiced most of that stuff without the game.
However, I am having problems with the simple power chord lesson. :l
Doing power chords works on every string except for the low e string.
Every time i try do do a power chord that involves the low e string, it is random whether it gets accepted by the game or not.
Sometimes it works, sometimes the game tells me that I have to move to a different fret. Sometimes to a higher fret, sometimes to a lower fret.
For example when I'm strumming a power chord with the 4th fret on the E string and the 6th fret on the A string 10 times in a row without lifting my fingers between the strums, approx. 4 of the notes get accepted, 3 are "too high" and 3 are "too low".
I've searched for an answer in google and found out that my intonation may be off.
I've checked the 12th fret on the E string with a chromatic tuner but I am getting the E note. It is slightly higher than a perfect E-note but still leans a lot more to the E-note than to the F-note. Could that honestly be a problem?
Maybe it's just my technique but in that case I don't get why I am having those problems only randomly on the low E string.
My guitar is an Ibanez RG 421-WK.
Did anyone play the game and knows what's wrong?
Thanks in Advance!
Last edited by juvion at Aug 14, 2016,
How is Rocksmith acquiring your guitar signal? Guitar into Xbox direct? Guitar to ... to mic to Xbox?
Is there a decent A/D converter in that signal path?

A well known problem for anaysing digital bass frequencies is that they are quite close together, and a poor analysis can get this wrong quite easily. That said, I'd imagine Rocksmith must have that cracked, especially if there;s a lessojn involving these bass-end power chords.

Which point suspicion back at the signal path (or you;re not playing articulateky enough, so other pitches are gettinhg involved)
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Aug 15, 2016,
Quote by jerrykramskoy
How is Rocksmith acquiring your guitar signal? Guitar into Xbox direct? Guitar to ... to mic to Xbox?
Is there a decent A/D converter in that signal path?

A well known problem for anaysing digital bass frequencies is that they are quite close together, and a poor analysis can get this wrong quite easily. That said, I'd imagine Rocksmith must have that cracked, especially if there;s a lessojn involving these bass-end power chords.

Which point suspicion back at the signal path (or you;re not playing articulateky enough, so other pitches are gettinhg involved)

The XBox is directly connected to my guitar via the official Rocksmith Real Tone Cable.
If I'm not playing articulately enough, I really don't know what I'm supposed to do better. o.o
Playing power chords isn't exactly hard and it works on every other string. :/
Quote by cdgraves
What the hell does an Xbox have to do with playing guitar?

There's a game called Rocksmith that lets you connect your guitar to the XBox, Playstation or PC that helps you practice certain techniques or play songs with official tabs. It is a fun way of learning songs ... if it works.
Try using only your treble or rhythm pickups individually if you can. There is one song it likes to give me a ton of misses on that clear up if I switch to treble pickups only. Game can definitely be finicky. Make sure you're not bending the strings of course.
Last edited by texuspete00 at Aug 23, 2016,
That's the game itself the only way to get a great audio feedback to the game is with a optical cable for sound. I've played the game and faced the issues as well and I just learned to live with it like (nope you're wrong I hit that note)
I've had the game for maybe 3 years and have had this on and off usage of the game. The game is kinda crappy yet kinda good, then kinda crappy again.

It could be your pickup height, intonation, bad pickup, or use one pickup over the other. For whatever reason this time when I decided to pick rocksmith back up I would use both pickups on my solo 6 damien solo elite. String skip saloon hasn't worked for a long time and I have no idea why. Rocksmith is very buggy and unnecessarily time consuming and thinks you're a genius most of the time.
Use the secondary tuner that appears in paused menus - the 'main' tuner is very inaccurate.

Rocksmith is extremely intolerant of poor pitch. - I found nailing the tuning solved most of the problems I initially experienced with RS failing to register notes. I also found firmer (slightly heavier) strings prevented me from unintentinally altering the pitch with my fumbling beginners grasp.

Make sure the guitar's intonation is set up correctly too, so that notes remain in tune all the way up the neck.

Taking care to ensure my guitar is tuned precisely has solved 90% of my note recognition issues.

Adding a slight volume boost with a clean overdrive pedal  sorted my problem with my e and B strings not registering beyond the 16th frets or so, but this could be merely a calibration problem and it may be that I'm using a hammer to crack a nut. 
"He's NOT the messiah. He's a very naughty boy!
Honestly, I wouldn't bother using Rocksmith to enhance your playing or practice new techniques.  It's a fun game, but nothing more.  In response to your question, check your pickups.  One side may need to be raised or lowered to accurately pick up the sound.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.