So I tried to paint my guitar.. it turned out pretty well, I wanna say. but when i go to put it back together, everything goes fine until i go to restring it. now the low e string hits the fretboard. cant post a pic cuz UG doesn't accept jpeg? I don't know whats up. It wasn't like it before. I know there's a lot to a finely tuned guitar but I honestly thought it would be alright to just put everything back together.
Painting into the neck cavity may have changed or added to the neck cavity thickness compared to original when action is correct.. if you have a luthier ruler, you can check if neck is straight, has forward (slight forward bow is desired) or backward bow (backward bow will cause string buzz poor action). I am assuming the bridge saddle height has not been touched.. did you change to lower guage string or kept same string? If you go from 10's to 9's.. you need to adjust the trus rod..
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Quote by psp742
Painting into the neck cavity may have changed or added to the neck cavity thickness compared to original when action is correct.. if you have a luthier ruler, you can check if neck is straight, has forward (slight forward bow is desired) or backward bow (backward bow will cause string buzz poor action). I am assuming the bridge saddle height has not been touched.. did you change to lower guage string or kept same string? If you go from 10's to 9's.. you need to adjust the trus rod..

I'll agree to check the neckbolts first but if you painted the inside of the neck pocket, depending on how may coats of paint, it will effect how the neck sits in the pocket if there is just minor overspray it should not be an issue but full on multiple coats of paint can act as a shim.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Yes I did accidently paint into the neck cavity. Should've masked it off. but I sanded it off. and I did change from stock Gio strings it came with to Ernie Ball super slinky. I honestly don't know how to adjust the truss rod and don't know how to check the bolts. We have a music shop in town I could hopefully take it to. Basically I bit off a little more than I could chew and now I'm hoping I didn't do anything irreversible as this is like my practice guitar I've had for awhile, it's just a Gio, but like you know when you grow an emotional bond with a guitar, even if its cheap, I learned so many things on this guitar I wanna keep it forever. I really hope I didn't mess it up. I'm hoping the luthier can fix it all I did was take it apart.
Could be something as simple as needing a truss rid adjustment.

How long did you have it apart?

What guage strings did you put on it and what tuning?

What kind of bridge do you have? If it's a tune-o-matic type you may have just lowered the bridge by accident as the post screws turn easily without and tension on them.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .