Do you think it will sound good? Something like this but with the rg of course into a stereo cab as my sound also the rg will be for backup purposes
Together we climb any mountain, rent any video, dial any phone. And not just our phone, other people's phones. Decent phones, God-fearing phones, phones that everybody else gave up on, but we knew better because we were a team!
Skip the Randall and just stick with the 6505.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE well I still need a backup head for gigging and the Randall in the pic is my other guitarists Satan so yeah but if you have any inexpensive ss heads that have a acceptable sound I'm all eyes BTW it's gotta be ss for the least chance of having a second failure on stage
Together we climb any mountain, rent any video, dial any phone. And not just our phone, other people's phones. Decent phones, God-fearing phones, phones that everybody else gave up on, but we knew better because we were a team!
Tube amps are not so unreliable that you'll likely have a tube go out during a gig. Such an occurrence requires a fair amount of bad luck to happen. Not worth buying a second amp unless you're doing gigs and touring on a daily basis.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Both at the same time? I wouldn't suggest. Separately? Yeah maybe. Dimebag used SS Randalls so...

My main concern is just to make sure you match ohms/wattages properly. If you were to use both together, each speaker side has to be able to take the watts of the amp you have it connected to, at the proper imps. Also, running two lamps in stereo often leads to ground looping issues (a lot of buzz) which is another issue entirely.

Tube amp failure happens a lot less than a lot of people believe. The SS would be an okay backup but I imagine the tone and response is going to be noticeably different. Really, why don't you get TWO 6505 heads and use one as a backup? ;DDD

Last edited by Will Lane at Aug 14, 2016,
Will Lane Well the main reason for two different amps instead of just a second 6505 was so that the amp has a use outside of being a backup and I know combining amps makes for a big full sound that can't be achieved by one head alone but it seems that no one here really does it but I have noticed that big bands do it. I think Metallica and All That Remains does it for example but maybe it's because they're big and have all those people to sort that out for them and isn't feasible for a smaller band.
Quote by H377F1R3
Will Lane Well the main reason for two different amps instead of just a second 6505 was so that the amp has a use outside of being a backup and I know combining amps makes for a big full sound that can't be achieved by one head alone but it seems that no one here really does it but I have noticed that big bands do it. I think Metallica and All That Remains does it for example but maybe it's because they're big and have all those people to sort that out for them and isn't feasible for a smaller band.
Just adding in another amp does not necessarily give you a "big full sound", you have to know what you want to accomplish. Wet/dry rigs, blending, stereo separation, clean amp/dirty amp, etc. I think most of the big full sound you talk about is stereo separation between the amps, with delays, reverbs, etc. in stereo format sent to the amps in a stereo form.

To do that, methinks you would need more separation than just two sides of the speaker cab, but rather two separate cabs altogether on either side of the stage. Or micing each side of a single cab and sending that signal to the sound board, from there panned across the FOH speakers. But again, issues arise- here you are likely to encounter phase cancellation and you could easily end up with a thin, weak sound. As well as people on the hard right or hard left will not hear much of the other amp.
Last edited by Will Lane at Aug 15, 2016,
Will Lane True... I've done it at my house and it definitely had that effect but I have not in a live setup as the other guitarist needs his amp I still want the amp but it's seeming more and more by your responses that it's just that. A want, not a need for a heavy sound that also brings with it a lot of complications that may not even be worth it in a live setting. Thanks everybody for the advice. I've learned more about this kind of stuff that I had no clue about. P.S. Does anybody know the selling price for a used Epiphone Explorer EX in alpine white with the hard shell case? I may be selling mine in the near future.
Last edited by H377F1R3 at Aug 16, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Tube amps are not so unreliable that you'll likely have a tube go out during a gig. Such an occurrence requires a fair amount of bad luck to happen. Not worth buying a second amp unless you're doing gigs and touring on a daily basis.

huge +1.

i always bring a backup, but i wouldn't have a second hooked up. absolute worst case scenario is that you would blow a tube (rarely happens if you know what you are doing), you would be down for that song. you have other bandmates which in most cases are capable of maintaining some degree seperate of composure for the rest of the song. then you go hook up your backup amp and be ready for the next song.

as far as the reliability goes, when i was gigging regularly (its been a little while), i would re-tube my gigging amp annually. that is NOT necessary, as tubes can last 20 minutes or 20 years.

i would do that so i knew it would be relatively fresh, but i would keep the old tubes in a bin and have them for backups at home. i keep them separate from my my new tubes, and know that they are not new, but still good.

in the end, i never had a problem, but i have probably at least a dozen lightly used EL84's as a result sitting around in case i need them. worst things have happened.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/