Alright so a buddy shared this video with me of a new concept you will see if the video of interchangeable pickups.

It's a very cool idea, but the first thing I thought of was how cool it would be with live shows, but ultimately wouldn't be feasible.

It will be interesting to see what comes of this, and the durability of the plastic mouldings wearing out and what not.
*Yawn*

There have been a number of "interchangeable pickup" guitars over the years. One of the most obvious, of course, is the Dan Armstrong plexi guitar, which originally offered six different interchangeable pickups and which did NOT require you to loosen strings to change them out. The ramp is longer and eliminates the string issue. It was developed back in 1969.

A whole raft of other ideas have come down the pike, including this one:

And of course there are the SD P-Rail pickups which offer a P90, a single coil and a humbucker in one pickup, available via switching while you're playing live. No swapping out necessary.

And then there are the Variax guitars which model 24 different guitars and offer on-demand alternate tunings (without changing the string tension) with a single stomp or the twist of a knob, etc.

Nice to see yet another re-invention of the wheel.
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 14, 2016,
Unlike the ones dspellman posted, this one can be retrofitted to any humbucker routed guitar.
I like it. I want one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 16, 2016,
Quote by Cathbard
Unlike the ones dspellman posted, this one can be retrofitted to any humbucker routed guitar.
I like it. I want one.

You should have one.
I also think this is good idea in theory, but its just gonna crash and burn in practice. Like dspellman said, the p-rail already does pretty much every kind of pickup combo you need. And i doubt that anybody will have the paitence and willpower to change pickups like this regularly. I think anyone who buys it is gonna keep swaping pickups for like a week, and after that just leave in whatever they like the most anyway.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by dspellman
You should have one.
I think I will. The kickstart for it starts in 3 days. Might have to check it out. I've got just the guitar for it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification