Hey guys,

So I need to record some bass tracks at home for an EP that one of my bands is working on.

What I want to do is split the signal coming from my bass with one going directly into my interface (Tascam US2000) and the other going into a preamp before going into another channel on the interface. That way our engineer will have the basic tone to work with if he doesn't like the tone from the preamp pedal.

Since this project is deliberately super DIY, I don't have access to our usual studio equipement. I don't mind buying something but I know it won't be serving a whole lot after this so I'd rather purchase something unexpensive.

Would something basic like this work?
https://www.long-mcquade.com/5274/Pro_Audio_Recording/Cables/Yorkville_Sound/Link_Audio_1_4_TRS-M_to_2x_1_4-inch_Mono-M_Y-Cable.htm

I know it would need to be longer but I mean the basic concept...

I'm not using any stereo effects and obviously my bass is mono so while the input is stereo, it doesn't matter that the two outputs are mono as long as it's feeding the signal to both outputs and not only one.

Thanks!
Last edited by flexiblemile at Aug 15, 2016,
The easiest and probably best way to do this is with a DI box with a "through" output. Get a good di like a Radial JDI.

Bass ->di box mic level output ->mic pre
"Thru" output of di box->bass preamp->instrument in.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
oneblackened's suggestion is probably the best route for what you want to get,although it might be argued that you could just record direct and reamp later if needed, probably with some in the box solutions, like say Amplitube's Ampeq patches.