Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a tube amp, either a combo or head and cab, that is no more than 450 pound.

It'll be used mostly for practice, but occasionally jamming and rarely gigging.

I've looked at the tubemeister 18, egnater tweaker, black star ht5 and tiny terror. Any other suggestions?
No idea what you're using it for but in the states a Used Peavey ValveKing 112 combo can be scored for under $200.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
i would recommend a tiny terror or dark terror if you need an effects loop.

skip on the blackstar HT shit.

i am not a fan of the tweaker. i owned one for a short while.

tubemesiters are cool for some things, but i don't think i would want that as my only amp though.

a peavey valveking is a good option if you can find one cheap, but i would go with other options first.

it may be worth looking into a marshall DSL 40, depends on your style of 'metal'.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Hughes and Ketner has some very nice gear right now that is around $399 at my local shop. They're definitely "metal-able" amps.
Metal as in megadeth/maiden/Metallica. Have the terrors been discontinued though?
Quote by 12wilsonh1
Metal as in megadeth/maiden/Metallica. Have the terrors been discontinued though?

i am pretty sure they haven't. unless something has happened in the last few days i am aware of.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Oh, I'm probably misinformed. Can the dark terror still do good crunch tones, or is it all high gain?
Im suprised no one sugested JetCity. They are great amps for a great price.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gorkyporky
Im suprised no one sugested JetCity. They are great amps for a great price.

they are OK. i think in budget you could do better. i owned a 2112RC and a 50h, and while being decent amps, i wouldn't buy either one again.

Quote by 12wilsonh1
Available in the uk?

they are cheap in the UK, even cheaper than in the US.

Quote by 12wilsonh1
Oh, I'm probably misinformed. Can the dark terror still do good crunch tones, or is it all high gain?

i own the dual terror (two channel 30 watt version) which is the tiny terror's big brother. i have played a dark but not for long. it does a fantastic crunch IMO.

the main reason i would buy a dark terror over a tiny terror is the effects loop. i wish my dual terror had one. but its not necessary.

*note that the tiny terror and dark terror are not the micro terror and the micro dark, totally different amps (and prices). vastly different amps. and vastly different price-point. i wouldn't bother with the micro versions (and yes i have played them). they are hybrid as well.*

the tiny terror and the dark terror are awesome little amps. well built, good sounding, very reasonably priced amps. they aren't as feature rich as some other amps though, don't be turned off of the single tone knob, it does pretty well overall IMO.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I've tried a tiny terror and loved the tone, what do you guys think about the combo?
Quote by 12wilsonh1
I've tried a tiny terror and loved the tone, what do you guys think about the combo?

it depends on price and uses.

i own about fifteen heads and three combos, for around the house/studio, i am all head + cab. i can move the heads around as far as cabs go. i haven't gigged in a year or two, but i would generally gig with a head + 2x12", if i am running to an open mic (which i do often), i just grab whatever combo i feel like.

if you do go head + cab, i would just get a 1x12". the harley benton cabs are stupid cheap, and come with celestion vintage 30's. if i was in the UK, i would buy three or four of them right now.

with the tiny terror, i would recommend an overdrive pedal to push it a little bit, but it isn't 100% necessary. i use OD's with most of my amps, big and small.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I actually just had the chance to try out the tiny terror, and i have to say i liked my JCA50 more. Maybe because mi ran the JC trough a 4x12 randal oversized with vintage 30s, and the terror trough... i dunno, something else

I also used an overdrive with the jet city, so maybe thats why it sounded better. If i were you OP, id probably get a 1x12 cab for home practice or a 2x12 for band practice and whatever head you like the most, as well as an overdrive pedal. Of course get one of the cabs with the vintage 30 speakers (like trashedlostfdup said, harley benton cabs are amazing value for the money). A JCA22 and a harley benton 2x12 cab from thomann would actually be just in your budget.
a marshall dsl40c may be worth looking into as well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by 12wilsonh1
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a tube amp, either a combo or head and cab, that is no more than 450 pound.

It'll be used mostly for practice, but occasionally jamming and rarely gigging.

I've looked at the tubemeister 18, egnater tweaker, black star ht5 and tiny terror. Any other suggestions?

You're a bit out-of-town, but I'd live on eBay and Craigslist around here. The Los Angeles Craigslist has some amazing gear (I think I'd shop it even if I lived in Chicago and plan a road trip). Today you can have a pristine Carvin XV112 (100W, EL34, open back combo) for under $350, a couple of older Mesas, etc., and so on. The short of it is, I can probably afford pretty much anything new that I want, but I really like finding a jewel for cheap.
i like jet city and i think they're hard to beat for what they cost- especially if you pair them with good speakers, for example the harley benton g212vintage with v30s, which is handy as it's available from thomann and so is jet city, though the exchange rate isn't as good as it was...)

fwiw the blackstar and h&k you mentioned aren't all-tube, as far as i'm aware.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Does it have to be 2 channels (clean and drive)? I'd recommend looking into Blackheart amps, they are cheap in price but not in sound, quality or features. Check out the Little Giant or Handsome Devil, with will be well, well under 450 quid
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by 12wilsonh1
Are used amps usually just as good as new?

yes. buying new amps full price is a bit silly imo
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Doesn't have to be 2 channels, as long as drive and clean can be achieved through tweaking.

Just seen the new bassbreaker 15, opinions?
i can chime in on the Blackstar HT-5 combo. i don't recommend it. i'm not terribly unhappy with mine, but i've had it for a few years and for a while now i've just been underwhelmed with the tone. the cleans can be good though.

i play a lot of metal but i tend to prefer a relatively low-gain sound.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
2nd on passing on a Tweaker. I have one, and while it's a fine amp, I really wish I had a little (lot) more gain on tap.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by Vampire_State
Micro Terror.

I'm not sure the micro terror is the sort of thing I'm after. Do you guys thing the orange tiny/dark terrors are the way to go then?
Last edited by 12wilsonh1 at Aug 16, 2016,
Have a look at the Orange Dual Terror. Certainly an amp I´d consider if I didn´t already have more amps than I need.
Quote by kentuckyklira
Have a look at the Orange Dual Terror. Certainly an amp I´d consider if I didn´t already have more amps than I need.
maybe too loud for home?
^ depends on whether you want to crank it or not. though if you want to crank it, 15 watts will be too loud as well, most likely.

Quote by 12wilsonh1
Are used amps usually just as good as new?

it depends on each individual case
Quote by Acϵ♠
yes. buying new amps full price is a bit silly imo

disagree
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah if you're not going to crank i wouldn't worry about it. just get whichever sounds best at the volumes you usually play at.

even 7 watts will likely still be too loud.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Okay I'm now really into the terror, are those Harley Benton cabs with v30s just as good as the branded ones?
Last edited by 12wilsonh1 at Aug 17, 2016,
Quote by 12wilsonh1
maybe too loud for home?

nope. I use my dual terror at 3am all the time.

as far as the HB cabs i have no clue as to the cabinet, but last time I checked the cab is cheaper than the speaker in it (V30), so I imagine that you would be more than fine.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Ive played two harley benton cabs, and they sounded pretty much as good as anything with vintage30s in them.
they seem fine to me. i only play at home volumes, though. i'm guessing they probably don't sound as good as really good cabs, but they're definitely decent.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I must ask. Just how much gain does this bassbreaker 15 have? I know it's got a lot more than a regular fender, would you say it's got a similar amount to the terror?
Last edited by 12wilsonh1 at Aug 19, 2016,