Hello all

Currently I have a telecaster copy which has a very wide neck with wide spacing. 

I also have a Silvertone Paul stanley signature model pssn2(Les paul alike) which has a much thinner neck. The neck is far too narrow to be comfortable for me (bass players sausage hands)

So I am looking to offload the Silvertone and purchase a set neck humbucker equipped guitar second hand that is a suitable width. I have a big preference to hardtails

Any suggestions?
Pedulla MVP5
Gibson Grabber
Warmoth Antigua PJ
Ovation Magnum 1
If you can, define "wide".

Also: Budget? Location? New/used/online? Genre of music?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 15, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
If you can, define "wide".

Also: Budget? Location? New/used/online? Genre of music?

uhh 44mm at the nut? Just wider string spaced guitars in general. 50's telecasters are quite wide and dont taper which is the sort of width I am after.

Budget is £150 second hand which is probably what I will get for my Silvertone. I guess it does not have to be set neck as long as it has humbuckers and is wide spaced.

Online is fine, I am in the UK.

Genre is anything.
Pedulla MVP5
Gibson Grabber
Warmoth Antigua PJ
Ovation Magnum 1
Other than the Gibson 2015 guitars, there isn't any I know of that have a particularly wide nut width. They depreciated in value like a dropped hot potato since they were generally hated. Might be worth saving more money for a used 2015 studio or something.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 16, 2016,
Quote by Asomodai
Hello all

Currently I have a telecaster copy which has a very wide neck with wide spacing. 

Have you measured the nut width? What is it?

Agile makes some guitars with "wide" neck profiles, which come with a 1 3/4" nut width. That tapers to a normal width at the bridge, of course. As do '50's telecasters. 1 3/4" is about the widest "normal" nut you'll find (including on Floyds), but there have been some custom builders (*way* out of your stated budget) that have produced 1 13/16" nut width guitars that tapered down to a custom width bridge, maintaining that extra 1/8th" all the way.

Also worth noting is that nut width is not a guarantee of extra string spacing. Gibson famously ate up string spacing with "nibs" on many of its guitars, so that the string spacing on their 1 11/16ths nuts was the same as that on other guitars 1 5/8" nut width.

As a fellow phatphingeredphuck, I have to note that I've successfully played guitars with a 1 9/16ths" nut width (still with good string spacing because the frets went pretty much right to the edge of the board before rounding over), but I've learned that I need guitars with very low action. Hence, I'm always posting about having the frets superglued (keeps them from sprouting) and PLEK'd so that they're absolutely level. With very low action (and jumbo frets), I don't worry about contacting strings next to the one I'm playing unless I mean to.
Hmmm...a couple of my favorite brands are 43mm. How does that compare to the Silvertone?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Other than the Gibson 2015 guitars, there isn't any I know of that have a particularly wide nut width. They depreciated in value like a dropped hot potato since they were generally hated. Might be worth saving more money for a used 2015 studio or something.

Unfortunately, while the nut was wide, string spacing was standard.
Quote by dspellman

Thanks! Now I remember where I put my bike! Probably needs to be detailed after all that...

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 18, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Hmmm...a couple of my favorite brands are 43mm. How does that compare to the Silvertone?

Well the entire Telecaster nut is 42/43mm. The Silvertones is more like 40/41mm. Thought the tele was wider! However it does help with the range of guitars I could use!
Pedulla MVP5
Gibson Grabber
Warmoth Antigua PJ
Ovation Magnum 1
I forgot about Big Lou:
http://biglouguitar.com