I've decided on buying a new amp. I've come between either the Marshall DSL 40C or the Blackstar HT Club 40. I'm looking to start a post-hardcore band along the lines of Converge, Glassjaw, Every Time I die, Underoath with some softer elements like bands like Brand New, Swans, Radiohead, The Smiths, etc. I also plan to use lots of pedals. I like to use delay, reverb, an overdrive pedal, a tuner and a chorus pedal and possibly a noise gate. With this in mind. I'm leaning towards the Blackstar HT 40C because of it's versatility and will take pedals better. Any thoughts?
DSL40, no question.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
DSL40, no question.
+1
And drop a better speaker into it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 16, 2016,
Generally I'd say a V30 but you may want to look at a Creamback. Me? I'd just drop a V30 into it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have a DSL40 and an HT20. The HT has a grainier distortion sound. The HT clean channel is EQd in the amp to have a mid hump to the response, which may not sound good with some pedals. The DSL reverb is more subtle. If you're handy with a soldering iron there are more mods you can do to a DSL.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
I got a DSL 40 and i love it!! I agree with 8Len8 if your good to solder go for it, if not i just got me a reverb pedal the Holy Grail and the amp LOVES it. It sounds awesome.
I also got a EQ in the loop. Im saving to get a speaker soon.
DSL40C is no question. A speaker replacement is ideal, I would suggest the G12M65 creamback
I played both of them cranked and marshall just kills the blackstar. Even without mods, just new preamp tubes and rebias. The stock speaker isn't all that bad after breaking in but if you can spend some more money, definitely get a v30 or a creamback. Boosting with a tubescreamer gives an instant metal tone. There are tons of mods you can do. I played a ht40 combo on stage and it really sucked. No cut, dull tone with no balls. Palm mutes just died. Also the dsl preamp is all tube, unlike blackstar that uses opamps.
Going out on a limb here, but why don't you buy the amp that sounds the best to you. Tone is subjective, so if you like the way it sounds, go for it.

I would have significant reservations about buying an amp that I didn't love the sound, solely based on a hope that new tubes or a new speaker was going to make it better.
But following that principle you couldn't buy anything but top end amps. No cheap amp comes with good tubes and speakers.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Finding an amp that sounds great doesn't always have be from high-end end amps. For the $700 that these amps cost, you can get a very good amp or head/cab; especially used.

I agree at many price points, it is not going to get you there, but replacing tubes and/or speakers on some cheap amps won't make them great either.

If someone is looking to buy an amp they can upgrade in the future, there is definite value in soliciting advice, and I do get your point that many amps don't come with good tubes/speakers for lower price points. I guess my philosophy has always been to get the best sounding gear that you can afford.
My philosophy is to buy something that can be converted into something good. Take Laney for example, great amps with shit stock speakers. everybody knows that. If you went by the stock sound nobody would ever buy one. The dsl is the same. Seventy 80's suck, everybody knows that too. That's no reason not to buy one. V30's are pretty cheap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
My opinion, the DSL high gain is not going to be great even with a new speaker, but that is me.

Your point is valid, buy gsomething to build on (if possible).
Maybe so but it's better than a HT40, even without the speaker upgrade.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I prefer using lower gain setting on the DSL40C and boost with a Tubescreamer or Zakk Wylde overdrive rather than go for a high gain setting on the amp. Sounds better to me. Also, I like the sound of the amp on the crunch channel at the edge of breakup and then boost the signal with a cheap Fender Compressor. This gives a very rich tone.
Last edited by Gab_Azz at Aug 21, 2016,
I agree, buying an amp to upgrade it makes no sense. But as I have mentioned, the amp sounds great even stock, the retube was a must because one tube broke. Marshall sounds great, and is a great amp for further mods. All you need to do is to break in the speaker by playing it loud. But you would have to do that with any amp or speaker anyways. Some people hate the seventy 80, but it's at least decent IMO. You have to check it out yourself. Blackstar isn't as mod-friendly AFAIK.
Last edited by ArturPr at Aug 21, 2016,
Quote by ArturPr
I agree, buying an amp to upgrade it makes no sense. But as I have mentioned, the amp sounds great even stock, the retube was a must because one tube broke. Marshall sounds great, and is a great amp for further mods. All you need to do is to break in the speaker by playing it loud. But you would have to do that with any amp or speaker anyways. Some people hate the seventy 80, but it's at least decent IMO. You have to check it out yourself. Blackstar isn't as mod-friendly AFAIK.

huh? its a speaker swap. it can be done in minutes. its a speaker, no big deal. cheap too.

have you ever compared seventy 80's to a V30??? night and day.

what is your definition of mod friendly? because a speaker isn't much of a 'mod' and am curious what you are considering a mod?

tubes are wear items, just like strings.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I know swapping speaker takes only a few screws and 2 connectors, but at least for me, a new speaker is too expensive. I compared it to a v30, of course the v30 wins, but the seventy 80 is "good enough", IMO. I consider any modification of the circuit, or component swap a mod. A good example would be removing c19 or c20, or installing a choke. I couldn't find any ht40 schematics and it uses opamps with surface mounted elements, so it's hard to mod. And even harder to repair if needed. You can easily find the dsl schematic, and it's all thru - hole.