Hi guys!

I've been planning on buying a new guitar and decided to go with the classic Ibanez. I've tested Ibanez GRG270B in the store and i loved it but im searching something without a tremolo. After a couple of nights browsing thomann.de i've decided to go with either RG421 or RG421-EX. Both of them are great looking and affordable. Can you tell me the main differences between those two and maybe give me some advice what should i get? All replies will be appreciated.

tl;dr: which one of these two should i get?

https://www.thomann.de/fi/ibanez_rg421_wk.htm

https://www.thomann.de/fi/ibanez_rg421ex_bkf.htm

Forgive my bad english.
i haven't tried either model but looking at the ibanez site it looks like the 421ex has a bound fretboard while the 421 doesn't; the ex has a wizard iii neck while the 421 has a wizard ii; and the ex seems to have a glossier finish with binding round the body.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
it looks like they might have different pickups - not positive based on their website - I believe the main difference is that the EX model has a slightly different appearance. The RG421 looks to have a semi transparent finish and is all plain black, the EX has a solid (maybe gloss) finish with white binding, I think you will be equally happy with either one, pick the one you like the look of the best.

Another thing to note is that the neck on the RG421s is different than the GRG, can't say for sure but its likely a little thinner and wider - you may not like it. You may want to check out an entry Jackson - same price range as the RG421 but I find Jackson necks more comfortable than Ibanez necks - you may not, just something to consider.
Thanks for the comments guys!

Quote by guitarsngear

Another thing to note is that the neck on the RG421s is different than the GRG, can't say for sure but its likely a little thinner and wider - you may not like it.

Good point! After ferocious googling i found a music store where i can try out RG421EX so i think i'll stop by and try it before i decide.
Last edited by veevee666 at Aug 16, 2016,
Quote by guitarsngear
it looks like they might have different pickups - not positive based on their website - I believe the main difference is that the EX model has a slightly different appearance. The RG421 looks to have a semi transparent finish and is all plain black, the EX has a solid (maybe gloss) finish with white binding, I think you will be equally happy with either one, pick the one you like the look of the best.

the actual ibanez site seemed to be saying they had the same pickups, but

and yeah most, if not all, of the differences seem to be cosmetic. Unless there's a difference between the wizard II and III neck profiles.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?