I have an Ibanez Lawsuit Les Paul from the '70s. I have searched online to try and find the value of it but I can't find anything. Does anyone know how much this guitar is worth?
Quote by _McCrae_
I have an Ibanez Lawsuit Les Paul from the '70s. I have searched online to try and find the value of it but I can't find anything. Does anyone know how much this guitar is worth?

Which model is it?
just because it's Ibanez and from the 70s doesn't necessarily make it a "lawsuit" model. there is a fairly limited range of models that are actually lawsuit guitars and only the highest end ones with a set neck are worth the big money.

pix please.
Quote by monwobobbo
]ust because it's Ibanez and from the 70s doesn't necessarily make it a "lawsuit" model. tjhere is a fairly limited range of models that are actually lawsuit guitars and only the highest end ones with a set neck are worth the big money.

pix please.

exactly that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yes, above is correct. The actual "lawsuit" era modals were made during a limited time period and not all Ibanez guitars made in the 70's are "lawsuit" era. Most things you read on line get the time frame wrong. I own an Ibanez Les Paul made in October 1976 (I bought it new in early 1977). It is a great guitar that has traveled well on numerous road gigs and has the scars to prove it. You would think an Ibanez Les Paul from Oct 1976 was a lawsuit modal but it is not because Ibanez had already moved away from the Gibson open book headstock on some modals (like mine). Whether or not you have an actual lawsuit era guitar and what it's value is depends on the modal, year and condition. Check the serial number. Ibanez numbers from that era are fairly easy to follow. The first letter is the month it was made. Mine starts with a J. That being the 10th month makes it October. The next two numbers are the year. My serial number starts with J76 meaning October 1976. Before 1975 Ibanez did not use serial numbers on a regular basis so if there is no number it is most likely pre 1975. I have also seen people try to sell 70's era Les Paul guitars that have no name or another name on the headstock claiming it is an Ibanez lawsuit era modal. Even if it was made I the same factory, if it doesn't say Ibanez...it isn't.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Aug 18, 2016,
The" lawsuit" really never happened anyway, sorta. Ibanez had changed their headstock before the Gibson lawyers ever got around to complaining about them, but in true Gibson Lawyer Fashion, they didn't do the research first.
Not as good as the MIJs that came after. That's for sure.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Not as good as the MIJs that came after. That's for sure.

Thanks. I've heard rumors for years they are "just as good as Gibson LPs"!! I figured they were probably decent, but not as good as they myths say.
Quote by TobusRex
Thanks. I've heard rumors for years they are "just as good as Gibson LPs"!! I figured they were probably decent, but not as good as they myths say.

Well the good ones are but I personally don't think the early copy guitars were that great. Later on, around 78-82ish, MIJ companies were making crazy guitars. Doing LPs better than Gibson was doing at the time for much cheaper as well. A lot of the higher end ones shipped with really nice braz boards and tops. They weren't pancaked like Norlin guitars either. A lot were either 2 or 1 piece backs.

The good ones are as good. Most people use the term 'lawsuit' guitar to cover all MIJ LP copies but that's not really correct so that's why I made the distinction there. The lawsuit guitars are mostly pre 77 and just a few companies. Not all of them.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by TobusRex
I've long heard about those "lawsuit" LPs. How good are they, really?

the very top end ones were really nice. they are also fairly rare and go for big money. you usually only see the bolt on neck LP copies and those vary from poor to decent. I think part of the reason that you hear about them as back in the early to mid 70s there really wasn't an alternative to a LP. the Japanese copies got you the look at at least part way there on the sound for a lot less money. Ibanez made some nice high end copies and it wasn't just LPs either. again though the ones with the similar to Gibson headstocks that were actually worth getting excited about were only made for a couple of years and they are hard to find now.