I bought a Washburn guitar late last year. This one -> https://www.worldmusicsupply.com/washburn-wmidlxsp-lt-plus-idol-deluxe-series-set-neck-electric-guitar-with-spalted-maple-top

It's a decent guitar for a starter like me. There's one major issue with this guitar.. the lower pot is wiggling a bit and changing the volume either jumps too high or too low. I'm planning to replace the pots and pickups. I bought a pair of Seymour Duncan Dimebucker SH13 pickups but they're both the same and I read somewhere that the bridge pickup and neck pickup should be different for different tones, which makes sense.

I'm here to get some advice on what pickups to use and what pots I should use to replace the ones I have.

Would appreciate some input to help get this project accomplished.

Thanks.
Bridge pickups are generally higher output than neck pickups, but there's no reason not to try the pair you have out.
^ yeah. and the different position will make the tone pretty different even if you use the same pickup.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure what I'm improving on but I read the stock pickups are cheapo ones and I'm not sure how good they are. I got a great deal on these SH-13 pickups and the reviews of those are excellent. I'm still learning about electric pickups and electric guitar playing/effects.

My major concern is the bridge POT. as I said, it's wobbly and doesn't control the volume well. what POT should I upgrade that with? I'll probably change both the volume pot.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah. and the different position will make the tone pretty different even if you use the same pickup.

Pretty much all guitars had the same pickup in both positions until well into the '80's. Most guitars that have P90's still do.
The difference in the two positions makes all the difference -- the neck pickup will be louder than the bridge pickup by virtue of its position (essentially, more string swing there than at the bridge). These days manufacturers think that all guitarists want a hotter bridge pickup (which will mostly just balance out the neck pickup's location advantage in volume). That's not necessarily the case, but most guitarists don't get a choice, and manufacturers have convinced most newbs that what they're selling is what they need, after all.

My assay of Dimebuckers doesn't put them very high on my list of excellent pickups, sorry, but if you KNOW what they sound like and if you like them, great.
I'm not sure that most people who "upgrade" their pickups really have any idea if they're better or worse before they do it.
Quote by eclipseG
Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure what I'm improving on but I read the stock pickups are cheapo ones and I'm not sure how good they are. I got a great deal on these SH-13 pickups and the reviews of those are excellent.

I no longer go by reviews of pickups. Ninety percent (I'm making up that number) of comments about pickups are from people who've never owned them and who've never actually heard them compared to anything.
Thanks for your input on this matter. regardless of my swap decision of the pickups, the pots must be replaced. Any specific type that you'd recommend and where to get it from?

Quote by dspellman
I no longer go by reviews of pickups. Ninety percent (I'm making up that number) of comments about pickups are from people who've never owned them and who've never actually heard them compared to anything.
dspellman

I was a bit surprised to find that the P100s in my "95 LP Special seem to have the same values.

Has anyone mentioned that if they are the same, you can adjust their distances from the string until they have the outputs that you want. Assuming that you want the neck to have the same output as the bridge, or a bit less, this would normally mean that the neck pickup is a lot lower than the bridge pickup. This also has the IMO desirable side effect of making it sound sweeter.
Last edited by Tony Done at Aug 18, 2016,
^ yeah good call on the raising/lowering thing.

Quote by dspellman
Pretty much all guitars had the same pickup in both positions until well into the '80's. Most guitars that have P90's still do.
The difference in the two positions makes all the difference -- the neck pickup will be louder than the bridge pickup by virtue of its position (essentially, more string swing there than at the bridge). These days manufacturers think that all guitarists want a hotter bridge pickup (which will mostly just balance out the neck pickup's location advantage in volume). That's not necessarily the case, but most guitarists don't get a choice, and manufacturers have convinced most newbs that what they're selling is what they need, after all.

yep, agreed. in many cases having a hotter bridge pickup can be an advantage, but as you said, it's not absolutely necessary and in other cases it can be a disadvantage. it really just depends on the type of the guitar for me- i generally prefer a lowish output neck pickup, so on a more traditional-style guitar i'd probably like the outputs to be similar for both bridge and neck pickups. but on a more modern-style guitar where i appreciate a bit more juice out of the bridge pickup i would find a hotter bridge pickup to be useful.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by eclipseG
Thanks for your input on this matter. regardless of my swap decision of the pickups, the pots must be replaced. Any specific type that you'd recommend and where to get it from?

No, I'm as bad in that regard as anyone. At one point I put together a guitar specifically to act as a pickup test bed, and I had EMGs, INFs, AHD's, a variety of SDs and DiMarzios, several kinds of Gibsons, some "cheap" AlnicoV and ceramic pickups, some Carvin pickups, etc., just to hear the differences. What I decided was that ear fatigue was a bad thing .
To the ones that have gone through this process of swapping the pots, any research material and sites where to buy them would be appreciated.

Thanks.