Hello, UG. it's been a while since I've posted on the forums, so I may be a bit rusty at posting.

I bought a Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster recently, and the fact that the truss rod adjustment requires you to unscrew the neck drives me crazy to no end.

The CP JM is a 9.5mm radius, so I was thinking of replacing it with a Strat or Tele Neck.

Are there any cons to doing this?

Also, are US Fender necks made with stainless steel frets? Would that be the big difference between Mexi and US necks?

Thanks. Any help or advice is appreciated!
Try adding more delay.
I do believe a Strat neck will fit the bill (the Tele neck heel will not align with the Jazzmaster pocket). I considered doing a maple Strat neck on my Jazzmaster build, but ended up with a Blacktop Jazzmaster neck instead (inexpensive and has the truss rod adjustment at the head). I've got a CP Jag and Jazzy, but don't do enough adjusting of the truss rods to be bothered by the neck heel adjustment. Good luck!
OffsetOffset
SteveHOC You just blew my mind about the Blacktop. I don't know why, but I completely spaced the fact that they're a 9.5 as well.

I didn't know the Tele pocket wouldn't line up, so that was very helpful! Is there any reason the Blacktop neck wouldn't work in the CP?
Try adding more delay.
What's the issue with the 9.5" radius? Too much or too little radius? 9.5 is actually pretty good. It's the 7.25" radius "vintage" necks that make me crazy.

Stainless frets don't appear on most Fenders, period. Have you seen a new Fender with them?
Quote by telecastrmastr
SteveHOC You just blew my mind about the Blacktop. I don't know why, but I completely spaced the fact that they're a 9.5 as well.

I didn't know the Tele pocket wouldn't line up, so that was very helpful! Is there any reason the Blacktop neck wouldn't work in the CP?

Yep, and if you keep an eye out, they go for as cheap or cheaper than a Strat neck despite being essentially the same. Should be a drop-in fit for a Blacktop or Strat neck, the Tele has a squared neck heel though, so modification would be required to get it right.
OffsetOffset
Last edited by SteveHOC at Aug 17, 2016,
Quote by telecastrmastr
The CP JM is a 9.5mm radius, so I was thinking of replacing it with a Strat or Tele Neck.
Most Tele and Strat necks have 9.5" too, so which way are you trying to go with that?

Quote by telecastrmastr
The only modern Fender necks I know of that wouldn't work would be the Tele heel (which is squared off, rather than rounded) and those with different scale lengths (Jags and Mustangs). Strats and Jazzys should be fully interchangeable.

Quote by dspellman
9.5 is actually pretty good. It's the 7.25" radius "vintage" necks that make me crazy.
What's "pretty good" mean? Lots of people consider it too rounded. I'm fine with it but prefer the vintage radius. Value judgements on matters of feel don't really transfer well between different people
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
SteveHOC That sounds like the perfect solution for me. Thank you so much! Really made a difference!

To other comments: Not a fan of the 7.25... It was one of the few things that drive me away from the Johnny Marr Jag. Too small for my fat fingers!
Try adding more delay.
telecastrmastr
While I'm not sure what finger size has to do with fretboard radius, the Classic Player Strats (though not the Classic Series) have even flatter 12" radius fretboards which may suit you better if you don't like the very round ones.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Wrenches/Truss_Rod_Crank_for_Tele.html

you are welcome!

i use it on my RI tele, all i have to do is pick guard off, no neck detachment required.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Wrenches/Truss_Rod_Crank_for_Tele.html

you are welcome!

i use it on my RI tele, all i have to do is pick guard off, no neck detachment required.
That's impressively cheap for StewMac, but if you want to save another couple dollars you can just grab yourself a paint can opener.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by K33nbl4d3
That's impressively cheap for StewMac, but if you want to save another couple dollars you can just grab yourself a paint can opener.

haven't thought of that before. cool idea.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I had a hard time finding a replacement neck for my Made in Japan Collectibles Series Fender Strat. Not just any neck will do. Good luck.
1984 Yamaha SG1000X
2006 Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty 3
2011 Fender Mustang IV
2011 Gretsch G5120 Electromatic
2014 Fender Mustang I (V.2)
2016 Gibson Custom Shop Standard Historic 1957 Les Paul Goldtop Reissue VOS
Quote by jamesmickanen
I had a hard time finding a replacement neck for my Made in Japan Collectibles Series Fender Strat. Not just any neck will do. Good luck.

The Blacktop Jazzmaster radius is 9.5 and the heel is a standard Jazzmaster (or Stratocaster) neck heel. Not sure why there would be an issue for the OP, but your Strat likely had some differences to the CP Jazzmaster in question.
OffsetOffset
Quote by jamesmickanen
The Japanese models do use the standard neck pocket dimensions, but there's always the possibility of needing to sand or shim things to make necks fit right.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22