Okay, so I've always been someone who aims for the moon but can barely make it 30 feet off the ground and I've always been conjuring up ideas that are well beyond my skill level, what I can afford, what is offered and everything else that is realistic/unrealistic.

And I have slowly been downsizing and simplifying to something that can work for a number of reasons - mainly watching my friends preform and thinking to myself why aren't I up there with them, seeing what is available (small venues with little to no pay requires a simple setup) and doing spoken word/dramatic reading performances making me want to be up there even more with an instrument.

But this question popped into my head and what I mean by it is do you have to earn your creative ideas not in terms of just skill but financially and socially (you need the money to pull off the idea but you also need the support or you'll have no where to play)

So unless you have all 3 where you want them to be (have the skills to play the type of songs you want to play, have the money to use the type equipment you want to use, and have the fan base to preform the type shows/venues you want to preform) you're left with no choice but to compromise and find out what you can do at this very moment in order to progress to where you want to be.

***I had a really awesome conversation with this guy who had my dream car (71 Challenger RT) at a car show about a month ago... we talked for a good hour about all kinds of stuff and we were comparing music (mainly guitar) to cars - I told him about my friends preforming & he told me about guys working on cars for 20 years just so they could get it right. And this is what he said "It's just not your time yet. Some of these people you see and some of your friends are not putting in the work so nothing will come of it, there's a lot of attention to detail that needs to be done otherwise at best you'll be a flash in the pan... you just got to be patient and keep working at it."
Last edited by MindIsMaster at Aug 16, 2016,
If you can do it then you've earned it. You had to spend the time learning it.
And anyway, who gives a fcuk? It's art, do whatever you want.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
There is something to be said for pragmatism- necessity being the mother of invention, and all that.

There was a group of artists in NYC- their name escapes me now- who started off producing their works with whatever they could scrounge from the trash put out by established studios. Some of those established artists noticed the scavenging, and tested the creativity of the new guys by manipulating what they threw away and when- by doing things like throwing away only those paints that were various shades of yellow one day. Or odd sized cuts of canvas-stretching wood.

And even with those manipulations, the young artists created.

Now, if you believe- rightly or wrongly- that the creations in your mind's eye require expensive materials and equipment, then yes, there is a certain sense in which you must "earn" your way to completion. Frank Lloyd Wright didn't start with "Falling Water" after all.

But often, with some serious thought, artistic visions can be realized by a variety of pathways, some less costly than others.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
dannyalcatraz Thank you for your points, I definitely am a victim of too much thought and not enough work.

For me personally it's just the idea I had feels to cumbersome now and finding a new one that works for the environment that's available (the show and venue size, my skill level) and just because I can build it or find away to scrounge up the cash doesn't mean I should. (elaborate guitar/music setups are cool when you are playing stadiums but not when you are playing bars/clubs/coffee houses because it seems like your trying to overcompensate for the lack of skill with fancy toys)

But what about replacing/exchanging what you have for something else that is more appropriate for what you can do and the settings available? (Even if I would like to have accomplished my original ideas it doesn't change that I find myself falling out of love with most of them... than why continue?)
Cathbard I agree but most places where I'm from look at you funny if you use a head/4x12... let alone a combo with it. Also the weight and size of my setup right now just is a pain in the ass for transportation, I feel like the best thing I could do is simplify to a few pedals, a guitar and a quality combo amp (or head/2x12).

I want to be able to move this around on my own so if I'm going to play a place it's not a hassle and that the volume won't be too loud... I want convenience and my ears/back want the same thing.
People look at you funny? So what?
If you can make it sound good, they'll have to eat their words. And if they don't, why do you care?

Anyway, take a look at this:

http://atomicamps.com/amplifire-pedal/
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by MindIsMaster

So unless you have all 3 where you want them to be (have the skills to play the type of songs you want to play, have the money to use the type equipment you want to use, and have the fan base to preform the type shows/venues you want to preform) you're left with no choice but to compromise and find out what you can do at this very moment in order to progress to where you want to be.

Nah. What you need is the creativity first and foremost. Don't sweat the other stuff. I've had the skills and the gear and have watched people with more creative juice walk right around me. If you believe that lacking "all three where you want them to be" is holding you back, then it will.