Hello all, first time poster loooong time lurker.
So I am geared up to make a new amp purchase (separate thread to come) but I will be working out of town for the next 2 or 3 months staying in hotels mostly and i wont really get to play it. I used to just bring my acoustic which is fine and god knows I should probably play it more but I want to hear your opinions for the best way for me to play electric through headphones.
Tone is always important but I'm not expecting anything magical to come through. I just want something I can put my pedal board through, build loops and just all around jam out without my neighbors really hearing anything. I've gotten complaints about the acoustic before.
I've recently started this search and so far I'm considering the vox amplug doohickeys or a pod or other do it all multi effects with headphone out. I'm intrigued by the flexibly of the multi effects but as far as tone goes the amplug demos sound pretty darn good for the the price. Also very high on my list of amps is the Mesa Mark V 25 which I believe has a headphone out.
So thanks in advance for your suggestions
Last edited by nathaniel.brown821 at Aug 17, 2016,
Oh yeah I've heard of those but haven't looked into them too much. Lots of videos to watch now.
600 dollars is pretty close to the 1000 I can get the mesa for though. I bet the mesa wont sound this good through the headphones. It will play loud and still be versatile though. Decisions decisions..
I've got a Vox Amplug. It works OK, but I don't use it much because it is heavy on batteries and doesn't have a power socket or "unplug" switch. It is easy to forget to switch it off. Also, they are OK on a strat type guitar with a top mounted cable socket, but a liability with a side mounted one.
nathaniel.brown821

It is a fairly flimsy design, and would be easily broken if you bashed it on anything. It might be OK if you play standing up, but I play seated and feel nervous with it in all but trad strat designs. Because you can't see it in side-mounted sockets, it tends to be out of sight, out of mind.
Last edited by Tony Done at Aug 17, 2016,
Hmm good to know.
30 bucks for a flimsy headphone amp
600 bucks for a killer modeler
1000 bucks for a loud amp I can plug headphones into
Last edited by nathaniel.brown821 at Aug 17, 2016,
Portable digital modelers* fit in a gig bag or HSC, and have a variety of useful practice features like amp & pedal modeling, tuners, metronomes, drum rhythm sims, recording capability, PC interface, etc. They work off of batteries or DC cords.

Plug in your headphones & guitar, and rock out anywhere.

New ones cost between $100-350 depending on model. Used ones can typically be found under $150

* Line 6 POD, Korg Pandora Px4, Px5 etc., Boss Micro-BR, Tascam GT-R series, and others
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I've had 3 Px4s (and a Px5) over the past 13 years. I killed the first one by dropping it 12 times too many. But that took a couple years. The second one lasted @5 years. it is functional, but temperamental. The third has lasted so far since then, but it has developed a minor gain & volume issue- sometimes if you turn one of those up, it actually goes down instead, While I still use it, that problem prompted me to get my Px5.

No issues in 3 years. (Knock on wood.) It has different versions of some models, plus new ones. But it's design isnt as conducive to actually playing while moving around as the Px4.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
If I were in your situation I'd get the Atomic Amplifire and a powered wedge speaker for the house.

You may find that the Amplifire does everything you need for both travel and at home.

For travel and home silent practice I use Peavey ReValver on my laptop with a Guitar to USB cable and monitor headphones.

Couple this setup with Guitar Pro and It's a great setup and very user friendly.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Last edited by metalmingee at Aug 17, 2016,
The Pods (especially the older, used ones) are cheaper than the Amplifire (which is a good piece) by a good distance. The "bean" versions will fit into some gig bag pockets and you can actually walk into some gigs with a Pod Live (the floor model), your guitar and some cables and plug directly into the Front of House system and play.

The Pandora PX5D and Mini will allow you to plug in anywhere because they can work off battery power. In addition, they have a huge number of practice-specific inclusions, such as a tuner, metronome, drum kit, bass lines, phrase trainer, AUX input, cabs/amps/FX, pitch shifter, slower-downer, headphone output. They've also got a USB output for recording and they're in the size region of a pack of cigarettes. And the Mini is about $100. My PX5D has been going for years.

On the other end of the spectrum live the Line 6 Helix (pull up demos by Pete Thorn and others on Youtube), the Fractal AX8 ($1500 range) and where the air is thinner and the pocketbook thicker, the Fractal Axe-FX, Kemper, etc..

With all of the above you have the opportunity of being loud, whether you choose to plug into a good pair of powered studio monitors, a larger powered speaker, or an arena sound system.
i like the korg pandora things. i had a px4 for a while and enjoyed it. i gave it to a friend, and as far as i know he is still using it.

i second the amplifire and powered wedge. however i haven't tried it to be honest, but at half the price of the helix/kemper/snax, it seems to be a good option.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Just ordered a zoom g1on myself. I'll let you know how it sounds.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A