Page 1 of 2
I didn't know how to actually properly name this thread a title, but as shortly as possible: I'm trying out for bands right now and want to start building my rig, so that whenever it's time for lives, I got everything I need. I wanted to ask, what are the basic pedals I need?

Right now my main guitar is a Schecter Hellraiser with EMG 81/85 and my soon to be amp most probably will be the Orange Micro Dark. For current pedals, I only have a Digitech Bad Monkey OD and a Marshall Bluesbreaker II, which is used for only the boost option and a tuner.

As the Micro Dark has only one channel and no footswitch, if I want cleans, does that mean I need a distortion pedal on the floor and have the amp on clean by default?

I am a rythm guitarist, so Wah probably wont be needed.(?)

AS SHORTLY AS POSSIBLE: what pedals do I need to handle playing live, when I have a 1 channel amp?

EDIT: I am on a budget, not a capped money limit, but I just can't afford buying all pedals in the 100-200€ range. Bad monkey has had a mod made to it, to make it sound more like the TS-9.
Last edited by ColonelCrazy at Aug 17, 2016,
Im not too familiar with that amp but make sure it's up to the task. I'll let others chime in on that.

For pedals, I don't like the bad monkey - it sucked the high end off of my rig. Get another tubescreamer clone. I like the Budda Zenman as it has a clean boost as well but there are a ton of options.

You will probably want a noise gate. I have the ISP Decimator and run it either up front (Mesa) or in the loop if the amp is noisy (Peavey 5150). I'd look into the TC Electronic Sentry Gate as well though.

I'd also look into a Chorus pedal up front to help thicken things up - old trick from the 80s and I use a MXR Black Label Chorus for this.

Make sure your tuner MUTES the signal.

Some reverb is also nice.

For the 1 channel amp how clean can you get it by switching to the neck pickup and rolling off the volume knob on your guitar? Turn the boost/overdrive off just before you switch to the clean sound.

A simple looper (Ditto) is a great way to tweak your rig and settings easily.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Last edited by metalmingee at Aug 17, 2016,
I may be wrong on this, but if it's not too late, I would look at different amps. There is nothing wrong with the Micro Dark for bedroom playing and recording, but I think you would find it severely lacking for live playing. The biggest complaint I've heard about most of these small low-wattage amps for metal is that they cannot carry the low-end at gig volumes. There's just not enough oomph to reproduce the thumping lows/low-mids you need for metal. You may struggle to get any sort of cleans at gig volumes as well. The higher wattage heads and combos can stay clean at high volumes because of their power -- higher wattages basically give you headroom and greater low-end reproduction without getting muddy. It's not about blasting your listeners into oblivion -- even low wattage amps can get LOUD -- but they start to sound thin and lifeless at higher volumes, because the low-end can't keep up.
Quote by metalmingee
For the 1 channel amp how clean can you get it by switching to the neck pickup and rolling off the volume knob on your guitar? just before you switch to the clean sound.

Tha'ts actually the way I am used to doing it right now, for example, a peavy 112 with the gain at 6, rolling of the volume on the neck got a cleanish tone with a very slightly audible crunch to it.
Quote by metalmingee
I'd also look into a Chorus pedal up front to help thicken things up - old trick from the 80s and I use a MXR Black Label Chorus for this.
A very short delay can also fill a similar role and I think is possibly more common nowadays, but I could be totally wrong on the latter point. Also, the Black Label Chorus is the same as the Analog Chorus (which is a fantastic pedal in my humble opinion), so if you're going down that route shop around for both of them used and see which one you can get cheaper.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by KailM
I may be wrong on this, but if it's not too late, I would look at different amps. There is nothing wrong with the Micro Dark for bedroom playing and recording, but I think you would find it severely lacking for live playing. The biggest complaint I've heard about most of these small low-wattage amps for metal is that they cannot carry the low-end at gig volumes. There's just not enough oomph to reproduce the thumping lows/low-mids you need for metal. You may struggle to get any sort of cleans at gig volumes as well. The higher wattage heads and combos can stay clean at high volumes because of their power -- higher wattages basically give you headroom and greater low-end reproduction without getting muddy. It's not about blasting your listeners into oblivion -- even low wattage amps can get LOUD -- but they start to sound thin and lifeless at higher volumes, because the low-end can't keep up.

My biggest problem is the budget, have about 400€ to spend on an amp, I know it's not very much, but for now I'll have to make do. Any other reccomendations for that price then? Also, usually at gigs, they usually have their own cabs, which one can run through, that can be miced up, or alternatively, run the amp into the DI box and from there to the PA?
Quote by ColonelCrazy
My biggest problem is the budget, have about 400€ to spend on an amp, I know it's not very much, but for now I'll have to make do. Any other reccomendations for that price then? Also, usually at gigs, they usually have their own cabs, which one can run through, that can be miced up, or alternatively, run the amp into the DI box and from there to the PA?

No, your biggest problem is that you think you can buy pedals instead of buying the right gear, a common misconception. You're trying to race an economy car and worrying about which tires to run...

Get the right amp first, pedals later.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
No, your biggest problem is that you think you can buy pedals instead of buying the right gear, a common misconception. You're trying to race an economy car and worrying about which tires to run...

Get the right amp first, pedals later.

Well to my ear, I liked the sound of the terror, but if you have any other offers in that price range, please do let me know. Also, This amp: Behringer VT100FXH 100W is currently being selled second hand near me, any knowledge on that?
Alright so change this into a I have 400€ to spend on a gigging metal amp.

It would help to know what type of metal you're looking to play.

Going used will considerably stretch your budget.

What does the market look like for a used Jet City (someone will chime in with the higher gain model) or a Laney IronHeart? Is a used Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo within that budget?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
The Behringer is a low end solid state amp designed to appeal to people who don't know any better.

I'm not saying the Micro Dark doesn't sound good to you, that's a different conversation, I'm saying it's not really the right tool for the job.

Where are you located? It's pretty likely there is better gear available to you at or near your price range.

Let's try this.

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Aug 17, 2016,
Quote by metalmingee
Alright so change this into a I have 400€ to spend on a gigging metal amp.

It would help to know what type of metal you're looking to play.

Going used will considerably stretch your budget.

What does the market look like for a used Jet City (someone will chime in with the higher gain model) or a Laney IronHeart? Is a used Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo within that budget?

I actually want to know what types of pedals, what gear and tech i need to own to make it. but slowly developing into a discussion about certain gear as in what models. As in, I have no knowledge what gear and pedals are used for metal, except OD and distortion pedals and hi-gain amps.
Ironheart at my used market, head only, is going around 450€ right now
As I'm not sure where in Europe you are, the only non-UK music store I know has these:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca22h_guitar_head_b_stock.htm
https://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca22h_guitar_head.htm
https://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm

2-channel tube heads within your budget. I've not played them, but hear good things.

They also have combo versions of both amps, which you could use whenever there's no cabinet to borrow, but then put through house cabs when possible. This could be worth a look:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca22h_guitar_head_bundle.htm

The Bugera heads and combos could be worth checking out, but there are questions over their reliability.

Slightly outside your budget, there's
https://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_valve_king_20_micro_head.htm
https://www.thomann.de/gb/blackstar_ht_studio_20_head_b_stock_2.htm

Spending more money on the amp and starting with fewer pedals is the better way to go.
^ yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, sorry friend. The Micro Dark is good for the price but it is not the right tool for the job, as others have said. Also, does your guitar have active pickups?

As far as distortion/overdrive pedals go for playing high-gain/metal, there are very few. The main two are a Tubescreamer-type pedal and a channel switcher. The Bad Monkey is an okay TS for the price but I would not want to use it professionally. The Ibanez TS Mini is a bit cheaper than a regular TS9 and is pretty much the same idea. Not sure if the Harley Benton/Joyo units would be much an upgrade from the Bad Monkey, though. And the other unit is a channel switcher- having a dual channel amp, to go from "cleans" to heavy saturation, is a big part of the equation. The TS "boosts" the distorted channel of the amp, giving you a bit more gain, some sustain, and a bump in the midrange. It is not a drastic difference but a noticeable, useful one. Then you can easily switch to a clean tone by channel switching.

The first amp to come to mind is the 6505 112 combo. It can be found used in your budget. Be sure to check every channel, every knob, and make sure all the tubes are lighting up in the back if you do buy used. Another option are the Jet City models listed earlier. As far as other pedals go, maybe some reverb and delay. The 6505 and I think most the JCA models have on-board reverb which you can use. And delays are everywhere.
Last edited by Will Lane at Aug 17, 2016,
Here is what you need to gig with a band

- guitar - check, you've already got this covered.
- a decent amp** - the micro terror isn't for gigging, the jet city mentioned above is much better
- an overdrive pedal - the TS clone suggested is perfect (depending on the amp this may or may not be required to get the amp where you want it)

there now you are done and ready to play metal

Other items you might want to consider for gigging
- a tuner pedal - very handy to have and keeps you and the band sounding good
- a cabinet modeling DI box that will allow you to run a signal to the PA because sometimes micing your amp is a pain in the ass for a budget I would suggest the Behringer Ultra G https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_gi100_ultra-g.htm?ref=search_rslt_behringer+ultra+g_152910_6

** a few thoughts on your gigging amp (feel free to disagree just some things to consider)

- do you want a tube amp?
While in most cases for high gain a tube amp will sound better, once you have all the instruments and the audience the difference in good tone and alright tone becomes less apparent, tube amps are generally more expensive - you may not want to gig with a cheaper amp in case of damage - starting out small venue metal shows are not necessarily the best places for the health of your gear, especially if you don't have money to replace it. Solid state amps don't have tubes to maintain or replace or die during a gig. Solid state amps are lighter and easier to transport.

Just some thoughts obviously there are other factors to consider and its all a game of trade offs, if you are going the solid state route I would suggest a Peavey or Randall.
It's worth noting that the 1x12" cabinet in that Jet City bundle I listed has an XLR output with speaker simulation on.
Quote by Arby911
The Behringer is a low end solid state amp designed to appeal to people who don't know any better.

I'm not saying the Micro Dark doesn't sound good to you, that's a different conversation, I'm saying it's not really the right tool for the job.

Where are you located? It's pretty likely there is better gear available to you at or near your price range.

Let's try this.

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Budget - 400€ max on both head and cab, cab would be for only home playing, so alreayd looking out for a ´used 1x12"

Genres- well in general Heavy and Power metal, but I think every guitarist has his own taste and tone and it's bad to go into much detail what artist you like, then you might sound too much like the artist, not like yourself. Cleans would be a good option though, yes. Possible to achive it through careful gian control and use of volume knobs if not in any other way.

New or Used - Doesn't matter, as long as it works fine.

Home or gig - I want the head, can be a combo too, to be gigworthy, currently have a cheap ass Cort MXR 15, of course that's not gigging. Main point is to upgrade to something, that can be usable with a band, therefore, usable in a gig. If it's a head, I just want a nothing special 1x12 or 2x12 cab for home use. Definetly looking that on the used market. As for gigs, most of the gigs in my country, Estonia, always have their own local 4x12 that can be used and are 95% proper and good for stage use.

City - Tallinn

As for the Behringer head, I will still at least check it out, cause you might never know, maybe it will actually suit me
Quote by guitarsngear

Other items you might want to consider for gigging
- a tuner pedal - very handy to have and keeps you and the band sounding good
- a cabinet modeling DI box that will allow you to run a signal to the PA because sometimes micing your amp is a pain in the ass for a budget I would suggest the Behringer Ultra G https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_gi100_ultra-g.htm?ref=search_rslt_behringer+ultra+g_152910_6

Have a tuner pedal, the Tc electronic one, whatever it's called, don't have a DI box, but I can easily borrow one from someone I know, plus, usually, gigs usually where I live, have their own setups, with everything needed for playing, except the pedals, the guitar and the amp.
Quote by ColonelCrazy
Main point is to upgrade to something, that can be usable with a band, therefore, usable in a gig.

This is still your best bet. and includes free shipping.

https://www.thomann.de/intl/jet_city_amplification_jca5012_combo.htm

It's not your best bet by a little bit. it's your best bet by a huge margin.

It's really not even a close comparison.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
This is still your best bet. and includes free shipping.

https://www.thomann.de/intl/jet_city_amplification_jca5012_combo.htm

It's not your best bet by a little bit. it's your best bet by a huge margin.

It's really not even a close comparison.

For some reason, thomann doesn't ship free to Estonia, price doesn't matter, can be 1000 still no. Will of course consider it, looks like many of you are complimenting it here. IF POSSIBLE, would still like to obtain the amp locally as then I can have a listen with my own ears
Quote by ColonelCrazy
For some reason, thomann doesn't ship free to Estonia, price doesn't matter, can be 1000 still no. Will of course consider it, looks like many of you are complimenting it here. IF POSSIBLE, would still like to obtain the amp locally as then I can have a listen with my own ears

I changed it to Estonia and it still said free shipping?

In any case, good luck. We are just trying to help you not do what so many of us did, buy inferior equipment to start with and then have to buy better stuff when we realized our mistakes.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I changed it to Estonia and it still said free shipping?

In any case, good luck. We are just trying to help you not do what so many of us did, buy inferior equipment to start with and then have to buy better stuff when we realized our mistakes.
And of course I will take the much more knowledgeable peoples advice into account. There is a music forum, like UG, where there is a monthly shipping thing, where everyone that wants to order, orders it as the same order, so it would be a lot cheaper.
Quote by ColonelCrazy
There is a music forum, like UG, where there is a monthly shipping thing, where everyone that wants to order, orders it as the same order, so it would be a lot cheaper.

Sounds like a great idea!
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Sounds like a great idea!

I am curious, I know Behringer is a quality company, trying to find reviews about the head nothing actually solid and you seem quite a wise guy when it comes to guitar tech, can you list the pros and cons for that head?
Quote by ColonelCrazy
I am curious, I know Behringer is a quality company, trying to find reviews about the head nothing actually solid and you seem quite a wise guy when it comes to guitar tech, can you lsit the pros and cons for that head?

Here's the problem.

Behringer is NOT a quality company, at least not when it comes to amps etc.
They make low-end amps with a lot of cute nonsense to trick new players into purchasing them, thinking they are getting a LOT for a little money.
They build for profit, not longevity.

Their tube amp division, Bugera, makes significantly better amps but has suffered from a reputation for problems that makes some people hesitant to own one. (I own one, have had no problems, but I'm just one person.)

No company is perfect, and other manufacturers have also had their issues, but Behringer isn't where you want to be if you want to ever gig with it.

The 50w Jet City amp would blow that Behringer off the stage in a side by side comparison, as would any decent tube amp.

I'm afraid if a guitar player showed up to audition with a Behringer amp, I might just ask them to leave...(Probably not, they might be a phenomenal player, but I'd want to...)
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Here's the problem.

Behringer is NOT a quality company, at least not when it comes to amps etc.
They make low-end amps with a lot of cute nonsense to trick new players into purchasing them, thinking they are getting a LOT for a little money.
They build for profit, not longevity.

Their tube amp division, Bugera, makes significantly better amps but has suffered from a reputation for problems that makes some people hesitant to own one. (I own one, have had no problems, but I'm just one person.)

No company is perfect, and other manufacturers have also had their issues, but Behringer isn't where you want to be if you want to ever gig with it.

The 50w Jet City amp would blow that Behringer off the stage in a side by side comparison, as would any decent tube amp.

I'm afraid if a guitar player showed up to audition with a Behringer amp, I might just ask them to leave...(Probably not, they might be a phenomenal player, but I'd want to...)

Highly aware of the quality, a friend of mine bought some "ultra metal" pedal from them and its wihtout a doubt the most horrible sound I have heard come from a guitar.

Although, there of course are exceptions, I know you will agree with me on that, best example would probably be the Ibanez tubescreamer, most of other their pedals are meh, atleast in my own opinion, thats why I will atleast try out that Behringer head. Also, any Laney heads you would know to suggest?
Your reasoning for this is "oh a tubescreamer isn't something I like so obviously I should try the Behringer?" That makes no sense at all, I'm sorry. You're confusing "I prefer this sound" with "this pedal has crap parts and will break soon". Behringer pedals are plastic, they are made cheaply and they don't sound great. If you think that equals the quality of a tubescreamer then I don't even know what to say about that. You won't find many who will agree.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Your reasoning for this is "oh a tubescreamer isn't something I like so obviously I should try the Behringer?" That makes no sense at all, I'm sorry. You're confusing "I prefer this sound" with "this pedal has crap parts and will break soon". Behringer pedals are plastic, they are made cheaply and they don't sound great. If you think that equals the quality of a tubescreamer then I don't even know what to say about that. You won't find many who will agree.

ughh... What I meant to say was, MAYBE the amp has a chance of actually being good, shine out of the Behringer production line, that maybe is of course very very small. The TS thing i brought is as an example, that the TS i an absolutely amazing pedal, can't compare any other Ibanez pedal to it's popularity and it's affect on the rock and metal scene, but it's the only pedal form ibanez that is really known.
So, maybe the amp will be good so maybe you might end up with a good amp? Seems kind of silly. How about just going with something good instead of hoping something mediocre will work for you?

I understand wanting something now and not having much of a budget but that comes across as a huge waste of money. You said you want to know what gear, pedals etc... people use for what you want, people have given you options but you're still harping on the Behringer stuff. So my question to you is do you want a good amp or a cheap one?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by ColonelCrazy
ughh... What I meant to say was, MAYBE the amp has a chance of actually being good, shine out of the Behringer production line, that maybe is of course very very small. The TS thing i brought is as an example, that the TS i an absolutely amazing pedal, can't compare any other Ibanez pedal to it's popularity and it's affect on the rock and metal scene, but it's the only pedal form ibanez that is really known.

I'm sorry but no, it doesn't. I can buy them here used for $75 or less. Given that they claim 2 channels, 16 effects and 100w if they were a good (or even decent) amp people would be grabbing them as fast as they could. You don't always get what you pay for, but you almost never get what you don't pay for.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I'm sorry but no, it doesn't. I can buy them here used for $75 or less. Given that they claim 2 channels, 16 effects and 100w if they were a good (or even decent) amp people would be grabbing them as fast as they could. You don't always get what you pay for, but you almost never get what you don't pay for.

Arby, can I ask you to check this site: http://www.stanfordmusic.com/en/products/amplifiers-effects

It's the biggest guitar store we have here. Maybe there is SOEMTHING here that would be good enough for the price? If not, then probably would go for the Jet city
Quote by ColonelCrazy
Arby, can I ask you to check this site: http://www.stanfordmusic.com/en/products/amplifiers-effects

It's the biggest guitar store we have here. Maybe there is SOEMTHING here that would be good enough for the price? If not, then probably would go for the Jet city

Unfortunately there isn't anything there that is in your price range that will really even come close to what you want. The two closest matches are the Peavey 6505+ 1x12 and the Bugera 6262 2x12 for combos and the Peavey Vypyr 120 in the head section.

The Vypyr is a bit more than you want to spend, but would definitely do what you want it to.

http://www.stanfordmusic.com/en/products/amplifiers-effects/amplifier-heads/peavey-vypyr-120-tube-head-detail
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Aug 17, 2016,
Wow there's not much in your budget at that store. Best I see is the Peavey Vypyr VIP 2.

What does the used market look like over there or maybe eBay Europe?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by Arby911
Unfortunately there isn't anything there that is in your price range that will really even come close to what you want. The two closest matches are the Peavey 505+ 1x12 and the Bugera 6262 2x12 for combos and the Peavey Vypyr 120 in the head section.

The Vypyr is a bit more than you want to spend, but would definitely do what you want it to.

http://www.stanfordmusic.com/en/products/amplifiers-effects/amplifier-heads/peavey-vypyr-120-tube-head-detail

Don't have any more to spend :/ 400 is my cap, don't have much money to spend when your'e a Secondary school student. That just why my first idea was the Micro Dark. chekced the used marked, the only thign that caught my eye was a handmade 18W clone of a JCM 800 for 250€.
Quote by ColonelCrazy
Don't have any more to spend :/ 400 is my cap, don't have much money to spend when your'e a Secondary school student. That just why my first idea was the Micro Dark. chekced the used marked, the only thign that caught my eye was a handmade 18W clone of a JCM 800 for 250€.

That isn't really a "metal" amp, but if it's well done it's far better than the other things you've considered and it might serve with a good pedal on the front end.

I still think Jet City is the way to go, but if not that's at least a plausible alternative.
Charles Darwin
What about any used Peaveys? Ultra, ultra plus, JSX, XXX, 3120?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by metalmingee
What about any used Peaveys? Ultra, ultra plus, JSX, XXX, 3120?
my god, when you mentioned it, I checked the selling part of the forum an there is one Peavey 75W vypyr. Any good, that thing?
Dug quite deep and found a used Peavey VK100 head, seems way more tempting.
metalmingee

he's in Europe so those aren't as available or cheap as they are here in the states.

OP the Vypr 75 is solid sate and may not have enough power to play in some venues. the VK isn't a bad amp but not ideal for modern metal, you will need an overdrive pedal. you also need some kind of bottom as you can't count on venues having one and of course you can't use the head at home without one.
Page 1 of 2