When i play the A string its way more looser then the others, should i change the strings or retune it ? ive had the guitar for almost 1 year, maybe time to change strings?
If the string is out of tune then retune it. If it's in tune then don't.

Also yeah 1 year is FAR too long to wait between restringing. If you play frequently on non-coated strings then most people will change AT LEAST once a month.

Personally I use Elixirs and I don't play any one guitar significantly more than the others, but I still change about every 3 months.
It is time to change strings regardless, 1 year is way too long imo. I change every 1.5 months. Also you should check tuning every time you play.

A normal guitar string set will have the strings feel a bit different from each other. Some feel looser, some feel tighter. It is normal.
Last edited by Will Lane at Aug 17, 2016,
alright well do you have any suggestions what to buy? im a beginner but im mostly into metal and play on a fender(ya laugh,will upgrade later). Nickel? Nickel plated steel? what gauges?
Quote by anderssen
alright well do you have any suggestions what to buy? im a beginner but im mostly into metal and play on a fender(ya laugh,will upgrade later). Nickel? Nickel plated steel? what gauges?
Do you play in standard tuning or a drop tuning?

Ernie Ball Slinkys work fine and are cheap. If you're in standard/drop D, 10's. Drop C, 11's. Drop B, 12's. Drop A, get a 7-string.
try some dr dimebag 9-50s, love those.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
strings are a preference. in the long term i would recommending experimenting, but for now any 10's set from a decent brand (d'addario, EB, GHS, etc.).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Random3 I have to say Ernie balls sounds very different from the original strings. If im gonna be honest I dont like them, I dont know if havent tightned them enough or they are suppose to sound like this, its so clear it rips in my ears lol.
Last edited by anderssen at Aug 30, 2016,
Quote by anderssen
Random3 I have to say Ernie balls sounds very different from the original strings. If im gonna be honest I dont like them, I dont know if havent tightned them enough or they are suppose to sound like this, its so clear it rips in my ears lol.
The only "tightening" you should be doing to strings is tuning them. The Ernie Balls are so bright in comparison because you had the previous set of strings on the guitar for a year- those strings were worn and dull. Turn down the treble on your amp/turn the tone knob on your guitar down a bit.
Quote by Will Lane
The only "tightening" you should be doing to strings is tuning them. The Ernie Balls are so bright in comparison because you had the previous set of strings on the guitar for a year- those strings were worn and dull. Turn down the treble on your amp/turn the tone knob on your guitar down a bit.

pretty much this.

Quote by anderssen

of course new strings are going to sound different (and for most people better) than your old shitty dead strings you had on there for forever. i don't see why that comes as a surprise.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by Will Lane
i almost never play on a amp
Quote by Random3

Also yeah 1 year is FAR too long to wait between restringing. If you play frequently on non-coated strings then most people will change AT LEAST once a month

the heck they will, do you have shares in string companies?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by anderssen
i almost never play on a amp
Do you have one? I would hate to have to play br00tal riffs without a distorted amp. I would not judge an electric guitar/strings by the acoustic projection (not electrically amplified) alone.
Last edited by Will Lane at Aug 31, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane
Do you have one? I would hate to have to play br00tal riffs without a distorted amp. I would not judge an electric guitar/strings by the acoustic projection (not electrically amplified) alone.
I have an amp but i cant use it bro, neighbours. I use headset sometimes
Quote by Dave_Mc
the heck they will, do you have shares in string companies?

This, right here, is the troof!

Change as necessary, there is no set period that can be determined.

I've got what now, 16....20 guitars or something?. Changing all those strings monthly would suck and be stupid expensive.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Arby911 Same here. I have way too many guitars to string them regularly. I rotate through them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Will Lane
Just turn down the amp then?
I dont live in a house so doesnt really matter if i turn down and i dont even have a amp with distortion since i only have a beginner set
Quote by Arby911
This, right here, is the troof!

Change as necessary, there is no set period that can be determined.

I've got what now, 16....20 guitars or something?. Changing all those strings monthly would suck and be stupid expensive.

yeah exactly
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?