Hi Guys,

I know a few of you have or are studying at or with Berklee.

Have any of you had any experience with Berklee lessons that involves interactive content? If so, did that content require a special reader, or was it just web-based (Flash?). Or is principally pdf or equivalent (or even printed book)?

I've seen a video on their site that shows an interactive lesson where the student is required to click out a chord shape, and the lesson will check the answer.

The reason I'm asking is I am now considering what formats of existing teaching material my emuso software needs to support (i.e. allow (further) interactivity to be added to such material.

Really appreciate any insights here, guys. Thanks.
I don't personally, Jerry, but what I can do, is check with my network of friends colleagues and players, and see if anyone I know has had exposure to it.

I do something similar online, at my Academy, with my students in their homework assignments but it's much more rudimentary, and involves a separate piece of software. I require that as part of many of my playing and homework assignments purely because there's a different learning pathway, neurally that is accessed when things are presented that challenge the student visually. For example, an Aug 6 to a Cadential 6/4, I want to see how they charted those, as well as assimilated the information.

Best,

Sean
Quote by jerrykramskoy
Wow ... you Berklee boys are shy or secretive. That's disappointing.
Haven't seen Xiaoxi or Jet in a while, those two might be good to ask.
Hey guys,

Been super busy. My bad. Will post a thread soon about some things going on .

The Berklee online content is all flash based, don't have to download anything or use special programs. It's all pdf's and videos and audio clips posted up on the page, with a submission portal and a message board that plays out like a hybrid of this forum and facebook.

Xiaoxi is doing good, I talked to him like a month ago haha.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Jet Penguin
Thanks, Jet. Long time no hear.

Do they test your understanding via Flash as well? (e.g. click out a chord shape, and can you respond anywhere on the "neck" to answer?) ... if so, does the interaction fix any mistakes you make? Are the videos interactive?
As far as I know, that type of thing wasn't implemented at all, but they might have something like it now.

Pretty much every assignment was uploading a written document or filming/recording yourself playing, after reading and watching videos of the lesson material.

So a typical lesson would be like:

Watch this video on altered dominants and how they're used/Record yourself playing tune X using altered dominants when applicable and upload

Read this document about topic X + some written assignment you complete and upload.

Or any combination of the 4. It was pretty "old school" in that regard I guess.

Thanks! It's good to be back, I miss the gang here at MT and am looking forward to coming out of retirement.

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Anytime, amigo.