I have a Schecter Tempest which has a 24.75 in. scale and a set-neck with 22 frets. The neck isn't the most player friendly in the world. I know the Tempest isn't exactly a high end model, but it is my oldest and favorite guitar. The big issue is the scale length. I have a harder time playing solos on it than on my guitars with 25.5 and 26 in. scales. I know bolt-ons can be converted, but can I convert my set-neck from 24.75 to 25.5?
Quote by reaper0322
I have a Schecter Tempest which has a 24.75 in. scale and a set-neck with 22 frets. The neck isn't the most player friendly in the world. I know the Tempest isn't exactly a high end model, but it is my oldest and favorite guitar. The big issue is the scale length. I have a harder time playing solos on it than on my guitars with 25.5 and 26 in. scales. I know bolt-ons can be converted, but can I convert my set-neck from 24.75 to 25.5?

No.
You could in theory, but it is in the realms of fantasy. It would involve replacing the fretboard and setting the bridge and possibly the tailpiece further back. The neck pickup would also have to be set back unless you didn't mind losing a couple of frets. Then the top would have to be refinished if you wanted it to look passable. So effectively a "no".
Just buy a 25.5" scale guitar and be done with it man.

As I tell my kids, "No good can come from this."
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
Just buy a 25.5" scale guitar and be done with it man.

As I tell my kids, "No good can come from this."

agree. anything you can do that would work will likely be rather expensive to do and you'd risk screwing up your guitar. get a new axe and go from there.
Quote by reaper0322
Tony Done Would the neck pickup have to move if it stayed 22 frets?

The number of frets isn't the issue. If the neck pickup remained where it was and the 22nd fret remained where it was you'd still have to extend the neck and move the bridge. When you change the scale, you change the entire length of the neck. Furthermore, you change the distance between each individual fret (there's a formula).

This guitar has the neck pickup where you'd expect it on a Les Paul. The bridge and bridge pickup are about where you'd expect it on a Les Paul. But the neck is a 24-fret neck and the overall scale is 27" and the overall length of the guitar is at least 2" longer than a standard LP and the distance between each fret is different.

Agile (and Schecter) make guitars with a number of scales, including (for Agile) 24", 24.75", 25.5", 27", 28.65" and 30". In addition, they make a number of guitars with more than one scale (called multiscale or fan-fret) on a single neck. Each guitar has a different overall length and a different bridge location.
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 18, 2016,
Thanks for the help guys. I knew it was a long shot, but it's my baby and I was just hoping I could enhance it instead of replace it. I primarily play rhythm in my band so it's not really that pressing, and I do have other guitars. I've been wanting to try a guitar with fanned frets for a while, but they're aren't any around me and I don't want to buy without trying first.
I have an 89 Charvel Fusion Custom with a 24.75 scale and don't really notice much difference between it and my 25.50. Seems like you would be used to it if you have had it longer than the other guitars

Do you switch up guitars very often or do you play your longer scale axes more than the 24.75?
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Aug 18, 2016,
Quote by reaper0322
Tony Done Would the neck pickup have to move if it stayed 22 frets?

Because the longer fretboard on my suggestion of moving the bridge back would have to extend inwards towards the back of the guitar.

As dspellman said, you could make the neck longer (new neck, piece inserted or new headstock section), one way or the other, but that seems an even worse option to me than moving the bridge back.
Evilnine This one is my primary, but I find it easier to solo in the other 2, especially the 26" scale.
Evilnine This one is my primary, but I find it easier to solo in the other 2, especially the 26" scale.
Are you sure it has to do with scale length and not just the shape of the neck or something like that?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
MaggaraMarine It's probably a combination of the two, but I have an easier the 26" than the 25.5" and they have the same neck.