Just got a Framus Cobra V5 top for $750.

It came stock with EH 12ax7s and EL34's
Not sure of the Bias but taking it to a tech to make it around 35ma- so I've been told.

They sound alright but I recently purchased the following and would like some CC on my selection

Ruby EL34B-STRs Quad Matched

3 Shuguang 12AX7B 9th Gen Chinese (Slot 2-3-4?)
1 Ruby 12ax7AC7 HG+ Balanced (Slot 1?)
1 Ruby 7025 STR HG (Slot 1?)
2 Tung-Sol 12ax7 Re-Issue Matched (Slot 1-2?)
1 Sovtek 12ax7 LPS Balanced (Phase Inverter)

I've also got some old RCA 12AT7 around.

I've seen the Shuguang 12ax7-Tresaure series and wondered if they were worth the $45, and where I'd put them.
Also been looking at Gold Lion, Golden Dragon, and PM Tubes.

Running a KHKD Ghoul Screamer in front with an Art Tube EQ in the FX loop.

What would you do with this current setup?
"All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world. So there was only one thing that I could do. Was ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long." Jesus built my hot rod- Minitsry
Last edited by StefanWest at Aug 17, 2016,
Shuguang are good everywhere except V1.
Pointless using a balanced/matched tube in V1 or V2, absolutely no benefit there.
The Ruby tubes are just rebranded from other manufacturers. I'd buy one Tung-Sol 12AX7 and one JJ ECC803 and see which one you prefer in that spot.
Balanced tubes probably won't make any difference in the PI but you can use one if it makes you feel better or you experience a benefit. I think Shuguang are fine there too, probably no benefit from the LPS over the bog standard Sovtek in that position.

12AT7 you could try if you want but I assume you're using the amp for high gain so you probably won't love the result. They're a tube to try if you want to tame distortion. I wouldn't start buying more of them unless you feel the amp is too aggressive. Try the RCA and don't bother with the Shuguang. You can get NOS Mullards for way less than the fancy Shuguang and they'll last way longer.

Ruby EL34s are just rebranded JJs. JJ makes a good EL34 though so that's an ok choice. Tung-Sol are another option that are brighter/more aggressive.
Roc8995 Considering the amp is already very bright. My guitar body is poplar so no real grant of richness there. I used to have an Ibanez RG1077XL which was basswood. Miss that guitar...a lot.

Do you have or had a Cobra?
"All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world. So there was only one thing that I could do. Was ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long." Jesus built my hot rod- Minitsry
If the amp is too bright, load it up with JJ's.
Shuguang 12AX7A and 12AX7B tubes are rubbish. Their 12AX7C isn't a bad tube.
For the power amp I can highly recommend JJ e34L. They are bigger and beefier than the el34.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i second the JJEL34L (note the L at the end), i bought sixteen of them a few months ago, only used a quad and i LOVE them. more solid bottom end, plus the edgy mids that EL34's are known for. best of both worlds IMO.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thinking of this for my DSL, but do the E34Ls require any biasing? Currently my amp is running EL34s. Not trying to hijack a thread at all.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
It's the amp, not the tube, that requires biasing. The DSL should be re-biased any time you replace the power tubes.
Roc8995
I meant the amp not the tube. Thank you, sir.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Ok So I put this
Ruby 12AX7AC7 HG+ in V1
Shuguang 12AX7 Chinese 9th Gen in V2 V3 V4
Sovtek 12AX7-LPS in V5

Ruby EL34B-STR in power

Already I notice it MUCH crunchier!
There is a noticeable drop in bass thud.

The Eq on the amp is much more responsive in a way that the Mid is much better focused, the treble is really adding low bass and 2-3k as I wished for, presence adds a little more shrill in a good way, and the depth knob is snow subdued a little but that's ok because it now sounds less like a Mesa and more like a 5150.
So overall I had to reset my Art EQ and I'm really not using it much. Just to bump 500 or 800hz, push 100ish, and dial back 12khz.
The overdrive pedal is helping push the preamp into tube breakup but I don't need to dime out the volume like I used to.
It's much louder than before and there is a major coloring with the volume knob that helps me understand why people say the amp is sooooo touchy.
You can dial in the amp but if you touch the volume knob on each channel, it changes the sound completely!!!

I still haven't used the Ruby 7025-STR, or the Tung-Sol 12AX7 tubes yet and am curious where I'd put them besides the V1. Also the EH tubes were still good sounding like a JCM 800 or DSL so I'll keep them for now.

Because I am new to switching tubes, this is only my review of this current configuration so I don't know how each tubes characteristic gives or takes away.
But I'll check in now and then.

I hope this helps someone in 1 or 20 years.
Quote by bobafettacheese
Thinking of this for my DSL, but do the E34Ls require any biasing? Currently my amp is running EL34s. Not trying to hijack a thread at all.
You bias e34L tubes about 10% hotter than an el34.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification