Sorry if this is a dumb question, but only just starting learning the guitar. In several pictures showing the back of a Gretsch G5420T it doesn't look like the back is flat it looks like there is bulge. Is this normal for semi-hollow guitars?

http://media.musicstorelive.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1200x1200/cbcbef48e5e3bcce7c7ed908f20bc5b4/1/0/1060041-07.3.jpg

http://thumbs.picclick.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/GJ0AAOSwQupXWvqI/$/Gretsch-G5420T-Electromatic-Semi-Acoustic-Guitar-Orange-Stain-_57.jpg
The back of most hollow and semi hollow guitars is arched just like the top. Often the back arch is shallower, but almost never flat like on an acoustic or solidbody.

Some semi hollow type designs like Rickenbacker or thinline Telecasters have flat (ish) backs, but of the ones by Gretsch or Gibson or anything that looks remotely like them with that classic body shape, most semi hollow and nearly all hollow bodies will have an arched back.
Quote by Roc8995
Some semi hollow type designs like Rickenbacker or thinline Telecasters have flat (ish) backs, but of the ones by Gretsch or Gibson or anything that looks remotely like them with that classic body shape, most semi hollow and nearly all hollow bodies will have an arched back.
No idea about the Rics, but I'd argue a Thinline Tele is barely really a semihollow - more an extreme take on chambering. The original purpose was weight relief, after all.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Sure, I can see that. I didn't think about it at the time but you're right to question the term. Still, those models are commonly grouped as semi hollow so they're probably worth mentioning here.

The Gretsch in the first post is definitely full hollow though so no questions there. I can't think of any full hollow bodies with flat backs.
Quote by Roc8995
Sure, I can see that. I didn't think about it at the time but you're right to question the term. Still, those models are commonly grouped as semi hollow so they're probably worth mentioning here.

The Gretsch in the first post is definitely full hollow though so no questions there. I can't think of any full hollow bodies with flat backs.
Yeah, the point I was sort of ineffectually and vaguely getting at was that I think anything I'd classify as a hollow body or semihollow (i.e. in all cases I can think of something with separate top, back and side pieces) would have a rounded back. Possibly with a handful of exceptions, but nothing especially common.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Aug 18, 2016,