G'day everyone,

I'm in the market for a new amplifier; I have my heart set on Vox because I have a strong focus on clean tones and British crunch, any further distortion, fuzz or overdrive I tend to get from pedals. Firstly, I cannot afford the AC30 with the Alnico Blues; I would love to get it but it just isn't an option as I live in Australia and gear here is super expensive because of the shipping and transport costs.

I want to gauge peoples opinions regarding the loudness of each of the amps I listed in the title (AC30C2 and AC15C1X), I like the tone of both and have played both but prefer the AC30 overall. My only issue is, I mainly play University (College) gigs with my band, some smaller venues and predominately studio and home stuff (I have a pretty large room to play in, it's not a small bedroom, but I do have close neighbours and have to be careful not to piss them off). I am concerned that the AC30 will be just too loud to be able to gauge a good tone without getting noise complaints, I understand it has a master volume, but in your collective experience, Will the master be enough to allow me to dial decent tones?

I understand that wattage isn't the primary factor determining volume, but would an AC15 be better for my situation, or, Should I just get the AC30 for the amazing tones, and if the master isn't enough, buy a good attenuator?

Thanks everyone, hope you can help.
The volume difference between 30 watts and 15 is very little.

You will be able to get decent tones at lower levels yes.

Will it sound better loud? If you need that power tube saturation, absolutely. However it will sound great lower too.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
The Blue is a much more efficient (louder) speaker than the greenbacks in the C2. Plus the master volume on the C2 is excellent, so besides headroom there's not a ton of volume difference between the two. I'd get the 30.
Quote by Roc8995
The Blue is a much more efficient (louder) speaker than the greenbacks in the C2. Plus the master volume on the C2 is excellent, so besides headroom there's not a ton of volume difference between the two. I'd get the 30.

A large part of the VOX sound is is the Celestion Blue. So if you are able to, find a USED AC30C2X/AC30CC2X (Blues stock) and you will probably like the sound better and save a bit of money too. If you absolutely have to get an AC30C2 (Greenbacks), you could still get a single Celestion Blue (primarily for mic'ing) later down the road. Or you may end up being completely satisfied with the Greenbacks and that is okay- they give more of a Marshall character to the sound.

Either way, if you get an AC30 you will probably want to get a mover's dolly cart as well. They are notoriously heavy... And welcome to the VOX Brotherhood.
Last edited by Will Lane at Aug 18, 2016,
get the ac30 and when you can afford it, get one or two blues (or weber blue dogs). Sound projection AND tone in two easy payments.

(that's exactly what I did)

EDIT: Forgot to add that if you do this, you can sell your greenback(s) when you decide to upgrade to blues so you're not losing as much as it seems like on paper
Last edited by flexiblemile at Aug 18, 2016,
I like one Blue and one Greenback with an AC30. The blue is louder so it's like 75/25 Blue sonically with one of each.

Strictly for clean tones I actually prefer two greenbacks to two Blues. Even better would be a Weber blue dog and a gray wolf pair but I don't know if you can get those in Australia.

Anyway, get the right amp first, and don't worry if you can't change the speakers. The greenbacks are excellent.