Hey guys so I need a 24 fret guitar I LOVE the rust in peace dean, I'm a huge Megadeth fan and its a must have for me, but I have a Ibanez les paul copy and I blame it for me not being able to play Chris Broderick's solo up the neck lol. I need a new guitar for the song head crusher from Megadeth's Endgame, and more importantly how the story ends solo. Sound silly to spend $1300 on a guitar for 2 solos, but might need it in the future, that and I just can't resist but to get it lol.

My question is do you think this sort of guitar is good for soloing up the neck,? because it's pretty difficult to play how the story ends solo on my Ibanez les paul copy, also I might do sweep picking.Thanks.
I love Megadeth and had a DV-8 back in the day; the VMNT is probably quite similar. It had good upper fret access and generally sounded good. That said, the quality (LTD) in details like binding, fretwork are higher on my Prestige Ibanez and I like the neck better too. I think if soloing up high is your primary concern, Ibanez or Music Man, maybe Jackson would have good options for you.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
I wouldn't recommend getting almost any sort of Dean. But you seem pretty sure that's what you want.

Just don't expect the guitar to magically make you play solos better.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 19, 2016,
vs normally have pretty good upper fret access but i haven't tried the one you're looking at
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Pretty much any V and almost all superstrats have good upper fret access. Even some singlecuts have great access, like the Ibanez art series, that have some sort of rounded heel, that looks weird but plays pretty awesome.

Anyway, if you are really sold on getting a V, id look at LTDs. I played a VMNT a few weeks ago, and i was less than impressed, but the ltd vs that i played were pretty nice guitars all around. If you are not determined to get a V, then check out all the traditional "shredder" guitar, like the ibanez RG series, and pretty much everything but the EC series from LTD.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
It's your decision but I wouldn't get too caught up in the Megadeth graphic as you can get a better quality guitar. At that price point Dean guitars aren't stellar they make some good guitars but they start arounf $1000 and up I have a Split Tail that is great I think it was like $999 new I gat it used for just under $400 in mint condition w/factory hard case it has excellent binding on the neck an stellar fretwork it is very playable the only let down was the factory pickups.

That said a used MIJ Jackson King V would fit the bill and can be found at great prices I have a 93 MIL King V with an upgraded OFR and it is great, newer Jackson's sp. the Pro models are a good choice as well. Ltd is another good choice and readily available on the used market both choices should easily outperform the Dean.

Like Gorkyporky said the VMNT did not impress me when I gave one a test drive I was looking to buy one with the Rust in Peace graphic and ultimately declined to buy it.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

If you're not set on getting a Dean just because Dave Mustaine gets paid to play a guitar with a Dean logo on it, then walk away from them.

Jackson pretty much owns the pointy V market.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 19, 2016,
T00DEEPBLUE I wasn't get the Dean because Dave mustaine is payed to play it, but because wanted something with 24 frets easily accessible and I love the rust in peace vinyl.
I'd buy a Jackson Pro series or used USA at my budget limit.

Recall Mustaine used to play Jackson if that matters for this exercise.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Dialupp
T00DEEPBLUE I wasn't get the Dean because Dave mustaine is payed to play it, but because wanted something with 24 frets easily accessible and I love the rust in peace vinyl.

Unless you can glue the Rust In Peace vinyl to the guitar, you're not going to have much there. That's just not a great guitar, sorry.

There are a LOT of 24-fret guitars with great access. Most of the solid bodies that Carvin makes, for example.
If the 24th fret is clear on the front of the guitar, you still want to flip it over and look at the back. If you're running into a clunky neck heel on a set neck or an even clunkier one on a bolt-neck, you're still going to be blaming the guitar. A single-cutaway model is just fine (if you're soloing you're not wrapping your thumb and that second cutaway isn't going to do you any good anyway), but you want to see what that cutaway is going to do to you when you get higher on the neck. For me, an LP or an SG's cutaway horn will often nail the side of my oversize hands and I have to rotate my hand. On a stubby-horn guitar like an Agile or a Trussart, I have no such issues, and the same can be said of something like an L6S, which has a wide cutaway.

I have a couple of V's, and they're good enough on the upper-fret access end of things, but you have to remember to play them a bit differently sitting down.
^ a lot of people solo with their thumbs around. if you're doing a lot of bends and vibrato it's almost mandatory- show me someone who plays with the thumb behind the neck, and more often than not their bends and vibrato are weak.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 20, 2016,
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ a lot of people solo with their thumbs around. if you're doing a lot of bends and vibrato it's almost mandatory- show me someone who plays with the thumb behind the neck, and more often than not their bends and vibrato are weak.

actually I practice doing that both ways. sometimes you need t do the thumb behind the neck for wider spreads of the fretting fingers. as you may need to do bends and vibrato in a solo like that I work on it. granted I prefer to do bends and vibrato with thumb over but you have to be versatile.
Quote by Dave_Mc

I play with my thumb behind the neck, and no issues with vibrato or bends. It's mostly a matter of practice and hand strength (I played piano long before I played guitar)... and technique. Folks with weaker hands tend to "hook" the thumb and then use the big muscle at the base of the thumb (better connection with muscles in your forearm). Those same folks will want chunkier necks because it gives them more leverage. As soon as you move to a 7- or 8-string guitar, however, you're SOL, because that technique no longer works, especially if you're trying to use 7th or 8th string available to you.

Hooking your thumb around also means you're going to be a lot more inventive "in the box" and not moving around the neck as much, because it takes time to unhook and reclench. Your soloing tends to live a lot in a five-fret area on the four skinniest strings.
id go for one of the better korean made models, like the angtel of deth 2, theres another one too, forget the name.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by monwobobbo
actually I practice doing that both ways. sometimes you need t do the thumb behind the neck for wider spreads of the fretting fingers. as you may need to do bends and vibrato in a solo like that I work on it. granted I prefer to do bends and vibrato with thumb over but you have to be versatile.

yeah absolutely, for wider stretches you generally want the thumb behind. And I suppose it doesn't hurt if you can do it both ways since, as you said, maybe you'll come across a bit where you have to do both in a very short space of time and don't have time to switch. but if i have the option i'd rather use the better tool for the job- and practise switching between the two as quickly and seamlessly as possible.

Quote by dspellman
(a) I play with my thumb behind the neck, and no issues with vibrato or bends. (b) It's mostly a matter of practice and hand strength (I played piano long before I played guitar)... and technique. Folks with weaker hands tend to "hook" the thumb and then use the big muscle at the base of the thumb (better connection with muscles in your forearm). (c) Those same folks will want chunkier necks because it gives them more leverage. (d) As soon as you move to a 7- or 8-string guitar, however, you're SOL, because that technique no longer works, especially if you're trying to use 7th or 8th string available to you.

(e) Hooking your thumb around also means you're going to be a lot more inventive "in the box" and not moving around the neck as much, because it takes time to unhook and reclench. Your soloing tends to live a lot in a five-fret area on the four skinniest strings.

(a) well, that's great, but that's not true for everyone. I've certainly read instructional books where they said to use whichever worked better- it's not true that thumb-around is worse, bad practice, or whatever. or that if you find thumb-around easier for certain things that you just haven't practised enough.

(b) so did i

i think it's a matter of physics, but

(c) not necessarily true, if anything i prefer thinner necks

(d) well, fair enough, but what percentage of players will actually move to a 7- or 8-string? I could well be wrong but I suspect it's the minority. I'd argue that you could cross that bridge when you come to it, plus I'm not advocating for playing thumb-around all the time, just when it's beneficial. If you can do it both ways you can use whichever method suits better.

(e) well, sure, but as i said in (d) I'm not advocating using thumb-around all the time. and you can certainly slide between positions with thumb-around, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 21, 2016,
I have a Dean VMNT Tiger's Eye guitar and I love it. Very comfortable neck and the upper access it top notch. A lot of people rag on Dean's (some of their guitars are pretty bad, tbh) but I have a Dean Z Select (Korean) and the VMNT (bought used for $800) and both are great guitars. I really like the Livewire pickups.
Not a fan of the VMNT's. Love dave, love v's, megadeth obsessed, even not biased against Dean, its just not a comfortable guitar in my opinion. I almost strictly play V's but the VMNT's just feel, awkward. Its almost like the neck Gets away from my body or something, and I own one I would know ha. Much bigger fan of the Jackson 24 fretters. However, be weary of those too, as most of them are alder, while VMNT's are mahogany...makes a huuuge difference.
If you have the money buy one from a shop with a 30 day return policy and keep/return as necessary. We can't tell you what will be accessible to you and feel comfortable.

+1 to not ruling out Jackson, though the model depends on your bridge preference.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Aug 24, 2016,
I've owned a few Dean's and they're great and easily worth the money. I just wouldn't buy a VMNT, at least not one of the newer ones when there must be a few on the used market, that's just me though.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I have that Dean Dave Mustaine electric guitar you asked and I personally love it. It's my first ever electric guitar ever and it's perfect for beginners like me, IMO. I play Black Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth, Sepultura, Slayer, Five Finger Death Punch and some of hardcore and black/death metal bands on my Dean guitar most of the time because it's so raw, unique and fast. 1st to 3rd strings aren't loud enough to solo so I would recommend you to get a Ernie Ball volume pedal if that work out. Let me know what you think!
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold hardware)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter